• Hi guys,

I own AA50, and I love playing it. I have some birthday money and I am thinking about buying AA Global 1940.

Is AA Global 1940 that much different from AA50?

Is it that much better?

Are there any things that AA50 does better than AA Global 1940?

Thanks for you input,

Krag

• The only thing better about AA50 is that it takes less time to setup and finish a game. AAG40 is well worth the $120.

• It has those extra territories where they were always needed

A cost to france, so you dont trade paris on D-Day
    A bigger Eastern Front in Russa, no more tank stack threatening all 3 russian cities
    More wilderness in China and the Russian Far east
    More distance to and from Japan
    A big enough baltic so the UK cant air attack the German Fleet
    A more respectable Italy
    A US that is farther away, but far more powerful

Overall it is great. It is the best WWII strategic simulation that you can play with your friends
    The rules are still straight forward, there is more territories and more options

• @oztea:

It has those extra territories where they were always needed

A cost to france, so you dont trade paris on D-Day
    A bigger Eastern Front in Russa, no more tank stack threatening all 3 russian cities
    More wilderness in China and the Russian Far east
    More distance to and from Japan
    A more respectable Italy
    A US that is farther away, but far more powerful

Overall it is great. It is the best WWII strategic simulation that you can play with your friends
    The rules are still straight forward, there is more territories and more options

I guess you exclude things like world in flames that are more historically accurate but take days to finish

• Global is Better: more dynamic, political rules are fascinating, china is a fixed, and the two hit ship rules are better.

AA50 is Better: faster to play, better tech rules, and is a much better multiplayer game if you like that sort of thing.

the jury is still out on whether Global is well balanced/ has a lot of replayability. if i had my guess, i would bet on Global becoming the game of choice amongst all true afficiandos in the years to come (assuming it is the last game)

• That is correct Calvin, games like world in flames and third reich are complicated, and more detrimental…linear

In third reich there isnt very much room to be gutsy, if you make a risky move in AA it may or may not pay off. To make a risky move in Third Reich, your enemy can exploit that on another front (particularly because of the unit cap)  The game is linear in that you almost are forced to do what actualy happened in the war because all other options are just too risky or make you too vulnerable. So the game plays out almost like reading a history book

Because AA is simpler, and involves more luck, there is more of a chance in a gutsy move paying off. So AA only simulates the mindset of the war in that…the allies stand to lose alot early so they avoid risks and play defeinsive. The axis stands to gain alot, and gain even more by making risky moves, so early in the game they are very agressive.

• '10

If you are an Axis & Allies fan, AAG40 is a MUST.  However, you will find that it can be overwhelming(and long) sometimes so AA50 will still get regular play.

• @oztea:

Also this way Germany doesn’t reach 7 terrories with 1 seazone anymore!

• @special:

@oztea:

Also this way Germany doesn’t reach 7 terrories with 1 seazone anymore!

Yeah, now it can reach 9 territories from the baltic

• Well, at least they have to start their engines now  :-D

• Id say go for G40, cause its a great game, with lots of options, very flexiable and adaptable strat’s. Also, if you ever wanted to play a shorther game, you have the option of playing just Europe or just Pacific.

• Allowing a brief digression, if we were to compare AA50 to AA42, we find AA50 adds:

• More board spaces

[liA nicer looking larger board[/li]

• An additional power
    • Better rules for China
    • Cool new factors such as NOs and technology

AA50 is a better game with more bells and whistles, but some might prefer the relative speed and simplicity AA42 has to offer.

Back to the topic at hand,  if we were to compare AA50 to AAG40, we find AAG40 adds:

• More board spaces

• A nicer looking larger board

• Additional powers

• Much better rules for China

• Cool new factors such as Politics, bases, neutrals, and convoy disruption

• Tactical bombers and mechanised infantry

• New rules for ICs

• expanded rules for 2 hit warships

AAG40 has more features above and beyond AA50 than AA50 has over AA42.  Some people still might prefer the relative speed and simplicity of AA50, but you have to decide if you think you’ll be one of them.

Me, I think AAG40 is the best A&A game ever!  It obsoletes AA50 more than AA50 obsoletes AA42 (though all three are highly playable solid games).

One more thing, although AAG40 is new and optimal strategies are nowhere near having been refined, it looks like AAG40 has more viable strategic options than previous versions of the game.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m