• '10

Very interesting article.  Thanks for the post.

It is amazing that they are finally closing this chapter of their history.  To pay 70 million Euros in 2010 as the final reparation payment of 1919!!!  This just shows that war does not pay and we are not only paying for the mistakes of our fathers, but our Grandfathers and GREAT Grandfathers to this day!

• Wow, this is a great post. I would have never thought that payments were still underway.

• @ABWorsham:

Wow, this is a great post. I would have never thought that payments were still underway.

Oh, yeah. Britain paid off its last lend-lease debt in 2002

• '10

@ABWorsham:

Wow, this is a great post. I would have never thought that payments were still underway.

Just think, it may take our kids longer to pay off their college loans.  :evil:

• @Gargantua:

If your grandfather stole my grandfather’s wallet, it’s not your responsibility to pay me, or my father, or my grandfather, or my children.  Or all of us, for the rest of time.

Truer words were never spoken.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

:)

Glad I could be of service.

Maybe I should change my signature to

Groups of people don’t complain when they are dead.

• meh… can i expect a blank check from the pope then, for everything the catholic church has done throughout the centuries?

Paying off debts is a thing between nations who are in “peace” with eachother. It’s a civilized thing to do, and not related to individual people and their actions, but as nations, as a whole. It can also be seen as a way to get in the clear with their past.

Tough luck, perhaps, but personally, you won’t feel much difference in your wallet.

An alternative way of getting rid of debts is to start a new war (getting rid of the people you are indebted to), but seems that just gets things stretched out forever…

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The problem now adays is that people just don’t have the stomach for war like they used to.

The rule used to be, pre-1800, that either a city under attack surrendered and chose to raise the flag of the aggressor,  thereby not being seiged, raped, and pilliaged.

Or,

The city resisted, and you seiged it, raped, pilliaged, occupied, and raised your flag thier.

Lastly, whilst most empires expanded the rule aslo was if you wanted the land for yourself, you came in, killed everyone who had a claim to the territory, and took it as your own.

In modern terms however, we invade countires, briefly change their governments, piss everyone off who lives there, pay to rebuild their infrastructure, and then given the country back to the people we’ve made angry - after we’ve trained them to defend themselves.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m