Unstoppable Yanks - Neutral Massacre Strategy

• I played out an interesting game a few days ago where I got to be the USA, and, going into the game I had a strategy to try and attack the strict neutrals.  Here was my initial reasoning to try it:

Playing as the USA you’re really forced to try and make the most of your available moves.  You don’t enter the war until turn three, which means you can’t make your first combat move until turn four.  By this time, Britain and/or Russia will be in big trouble.  The yanks face a rather serious problem though: everywhere you want to be is two moves away.  This forces you into a situation where you will be stretched out and slow, as it takes two turns for your transports to land somewhere, then two turns back.  So how can we get avoid this problem?  Looking at the map, it appears Spain is the answer.

Essentially, by turn four you can have:

1 Carrier
    1 Destroyer
    1 Fighter
    1 Strategic Bomber
    8 Transports
    8 Infantry
    6 Artillery
    1 Mech
    1 Tank

Available to move and land in Gibraltar.  Sea Zone 91 is rather safe, it’s hard for Germany to hit this with planes, so they would need to use boats.  Depending what they have you may be able to get away with just the Carrier Destroyer and Fighter, especially as Italy can’t hit you if you own Gibraltar, and Britain may have boats in this zone as well; otherwise you may need a more defensive fleet (still much less than if you went near Norway tho)

On turn 4 you have 65 IPCs to spend due to entering the war, which will allow you to purchase another 4 transports, 8 infantry and 1 tactical bomber.

On turn 5 you can now invade Spain with a huge force, and likely have remaining for defense:

14-16 Infantry
    6 Artillery
    1 Mech
    1 Tank

On turn 6 you’re now ready to invade Southern France (taking away objectives from Italy and Germany) and Normandy, and seriously relieving pressure on Russia.  And having moved your transports back on Turn 5, you could have built 16 more infantry to move over to Spain as well.  Germany will cringe.

What do you give up by attacking the strict neutrals?  Turkey (2 ipc + 8 inf), Sweden (3 ipc + 6 inf), Saudi Arabia (2 ipc + 4 inf) and Switzerland (2 inf).  So a total of 5 IPC + 20 Inf if they take everything, though really only the Turkey troops pose a real problem, the rest are too far removed to really become useful that late in the game.

What do you gain by attacking the strict neutrals?   If Britain knows you plan to do this, they can take their initial starting troops and transport in Canada to South America turn one, pick up the free 3 Infantry there and wait for your assault on Spain.  When you do they can then mop up the rest of the South American neutrals for +8 IPC.  Britain also has two neutrals in Africa it can easily mop up for another +2 IPC.  As the yanks, you can easily claim Spain and Portugal for +3 IPC.

So the allies gain +13 IPC each turn and a great position for the yanks to continue dropping huge forces in Spain every turn, in exchange for 5 IPCs for the axis and some infantry.

Thoughts?

I originally posted this to my blog here - http://www.nazgum.com/blog/2010/09/unstoppable-yanks-neutral-massacre-strategy.html - which has a lot more detail and some pics - but I love these forums so wanted to post this here too and see what others thought =)

• If Spain was 3 and could support an major inf, i think it would be worth it… but it is just a 2…

You’re creating alot of extra troops you’ll have to fight (let’s say about 16), from which some will help crush the russians, all for a small gain in IPC and a risky positional gain… Might be an expensive joke.

On the other hand, if most axis troops are faraway and unable to do a fast counterstrike, and UK lives, and Russia isn’t in a too lousy position… it does give USA a place closeby the heart of the europe axis, and a minor IC.

UK fighters would be very useful (in the early stage) to reinforce the americans in Spain (especially if the area is not too safe). So if USA wants to play it very aggressive, it could be worth a shot.

In fact, the more i think about it, the more i like it

One thing is sure, not many axis players will see this coming  :)

edit:  -  If Germany has been doing its sealion then there might be a LOT of german transports (and troops) within reach
            +  Gibraltar couldn’t be more closeby (= easy to protect it)

• I like the sound of the strategy since it solves one of the US issues when shipping out units to Europe, the long supply lines needed.

However I’d completely ignore South America and use the UK units available from Brasil to Africa or Europe.

Another thing that was mentioned in the thread regarding air route surprises is that by attacking Spain it clears a path for German/Italian planes on France/N. Italy to attack SZ91 and land on S. France/Normandy, so the US might need more ships to defend the transports.

And then there’s the other drawbacks. Getting Turkey into the fight opens up an easy route to the Caucasus and the Middle East to the Axis with 8 inf to support such a move. The 6 inf from Sweden can either swing towards Russia or be used to fortify Norway and prevent an Allied landing there.

Really depends on the situation by US4… but definitely something to consider :)

• @Hobbes:

I like the sound of the strategy since it solves one of the US issues when shipping out units to Europe, the long supply lines needed.

However I’d completely ignore South America and use the UK units available from Brasil to Africa or Europe.

Another thing that was mentioned in the thread regarding air route surprises is that by attacking Spain it clears a path for German/Italian planes on France/N. Italy to attack SZ91 and land on S. France/Normandy, so the US might need more ships to defend the transports.

Indeed, soemthing i hadn’t considered yet. Some support from allied ships won’t be a luxury (the UK cruiser for ex. can be useful)
    What i did see is that a newly bought bomber in E-USA can join an attack at S.France and land in Spain.

Edit: one should remember that by the time USA gets into action Gibraltar might be taken by Italy. So that would need their attention as well (take GIB instead and next turn spain?)

• first thing to do is you should take gib and look like you are going to liberate Nth Af and egypt then turn your forces to spain and then get germans to recall units from Britain who should look to place units in ontario early in the game if sealion is imminent so when the Germans get forced to tak units back from UK to defend france the UK can liberate itself and Germany is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If germany deal with the Americans the Brits are back int he war. If they retake Uk the Americans are attacking france and getting four extra inf to deal with not to mention french buying power. The Germans will be stuck and need Italian help which will be shucking across from Africa if the US has a mnr in Spain they can spend 9 ipc for 3 inf or 1 hit every turn resulting in a killer force that the Euro Axis can’t deal with and with The Mnr in spain you can then send some troops from the initial landing spot to liberate Nth Af and egypt allowing you to then put the pressure on Turkey which most likely has been used to get the 8 inf because the Germans need all forces to be around France and going to turkey would be a waste of a move as then they have to get the 8 inf to follow them back. The Brits being recently liberated should build mnr in egypt and use it to start attacking from the east relieving the soviets and allowing them to help put pressure on the germans and with three majors attacking them they will probably turtle allowing Italy to fall and you will end up with 4 allies(Because France will be liberated attacking Germany) The attacks will go USSR-UK-US-France so the Germans can’t rebuild after one round of combat. If it gets to this the German will surrender and the allies win. If playing a newbie he should only hold out for a couple of turns before the pressure starts. Especially since you will put a major in Rom or Nrwy

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m