Most air units you've had as America?

• While I drive to work I’ve been planning my next game with the U.S.

What’s the most planes you all have owned as the U.S. and won a decently played game?

I was thinking about that plane heavy U.S. talk a few posts back.  I was thinking with two or three carriers in the Atlantic another six planes and a couple bombers would be nice for reaching out and eliminating the German or Italian fleets

So 3 rounds, 156 IPC to spend for America, if the game goes as usual I was thinking about going Europe first….

6 Fighters - 60 bucks (leaves me with extra fighters and bombers from the mainland)
    3 Carriers - 48 bucks
    1 Destroyer - 8 bucks
    3 transports - 21 bucks
    1 mech, 1 art - 8 bucks
    2 inf - 6 bucks

Then round 4 being prepared to dump perhaps fifty of my 80IPC into the Pacific.

• I am bombing Japan from Iwo Jima with a lot of air power
    it is working well, I am buying more planes than I usually buy as the US

2 FGT and a bomber a turn in the pacific

im spending 50 50 Europe Pacific

• I think you need more fodder. Italian subs and planes can have a second crack at you after Germany hits you with it’s navy and air force (potentially). Maybe a few extra destroyers would be good.

I also figure that if you havn’t built in the Pacific by Turn three, I probably wouldn’t bother, except for some destroyers for blocking and a home defence navy. I’d keep budling transports and things to put in them and by turn five (hopefully) be ready to take Rome.

• That fleet wont do much if Italy and Germany and playing subs… one destroyer is going to leave you lacking, I find that if the US isn’t buying a minimum of 2 destroyers a turn (one for each theater) then they usually end up kicking themselves in later turns. I also have to agree that spending nothing in Pacific until turn 4 means you waited to long and better hope you can take Berlin by US6 and since you can’t that means the allies will have a hard time winning with Japan rivaling the US with ease…

• Good points.  Current game war started Japan2. US has split their money and thanks to Japan’s fascination in SE Asia is sitting off the Australian held Carolines ready to fight an even up 45ish pip naval battle.  We have built a couple destroyers thank goodness and split our money about evenly.

• Sounds like you should be sitting pretty then as your Japanese opponent seems to have possibly lost interest in fighting a war… haha Bring some more destroyers and air power to crawl your way through those islands.

• @Blitchga:

That fleet wont do much if Italy and Germany and playing subs… one destroyer is going to leave you lacking, I find that if the US isn’t buying a minimum of 2 destroyers a turn (one for each theater) then they usually end up kicking themselves in later turns.

I agree, Destroyers are more than useful.

But if against sub fleets, some extra subs of your own are handy (cheaper casualties, and they can always serve as convoy raiders or lone attackers). Of course against air raids they are useless.
    Me i also make sure there are always a few destroyers present at each side.

Edit: on topic: i usually end up with not that many US air units

• I have 20 fighters in the Pacific, 1 tactical bomber and 2 bombers. I have built up Hawaii and Solomons as air bases and am moving through Japans islands from there. I also have 2 fighters and 2 tactical bombers in the Atlantic. I think we are about turn 10 but I am uncertain.

To put that into perspective our current game has built many air forces… haha. ANZAC have 6 fighters, Russia has 2 fighters and 2 tacticals. UK has 8 fighters, 2 tactical bombers and 2 strategic bombers, India has been eliminated, Italy has 3 fighters and 3 strategic bombers and Germany has 8 fighters, 3 tactical bombers and 5 strategic bombers. Now finally Japan has; 15 fighters, 8 tactical bombers, 2 strategic bombers. I should note that we are playing with the alpha set up.

• @Blitchga:

I have 20 fighters in the Pacific, 1 tactical bomber and 2 bombers. I have built up Hawaii and Solomons as air bases and am moving through Japans islands from there. I also have 2 fighters and 2 tactical bombers in the Atlantic. I think we are about turn 10 but I am uncertain.

To put that into perspective our current game has built many air forces… haha. ANZAC have 6 fighters, Russia has 2 fighters and 2 tacticals. UK has 8 fighters, 2 tactical bombers and 2 strategic bombers, India has been eliminated, Italy has 3 fighters and 3 strategic bombers and Germany has 8 fighters, 3 tactical bombers and 5 strategic bombers. Now finally Japan has; 15 fighters, 8 tactical bombers, 2 strategic bombers. I should note that we are playing with the alpha set up.

Japan only has 5 more planes than at start

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Japan only has 5 more planes than at start

Yes because they have used what they had effectively and have other large naval presences. For instance a 7 strong destroyer fleet and haven broken through China, Russia and India… It has been a pain to be sure.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m