• Anyone play this game? Is it good? The pieces look pretty cool. Can they be used in Axis and allies?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Bill

• @billinjackson:

Anyone play this game? Is it good? The pieces look pretty cool. Can they be used in Axis and allies?

Bill

It is a tactical game and is pretty fun. I thought about using the pieces for AA but it depends on which AA game you are playing. The base that holds the infantry pieces in Tide of Iron would be a little too big on the AA42 OOB map but should be fine on IL’s homemade maps. They should also work on AAG40 since the sea zones and territories are bigger than AA42. The tanks should also be ok to use on AAG40 map but they are considerably larger than what the AA games use. The other thing to consider is that the base game of Tide of Iron only has gray and green pieces for the US and German nations. As far as I know there are no Japanese pieces for ToI but Russian pieces are coming with the newest expansion and the UK pieces should be in the Days of the Fox and Normandy expansion. I just have the base game and do not have any of the expansions for ToI so I am not 100% on what comes in those.

• '10

I loved this game.  I have all the expansions also.

I think the pieces are too big for AAA.

It is a complete Tactical game rather than strategy.  It has a learning curve but once you master it the game is really fun and engaging.  It is supplied with Historical scenarios but there are tools to make your own.

I would recommend if your looking for something new.  But it is nothing like AAA.

• I did not like it. Too much like A&A minis. I did not find the minis particularly engaging. I did not like having to take the pieces out of the bases. The game like A&A Minis is both too small and too big at the same time.

I liked the tactical aspect of it but it just missed the mark IMO.

The modular map board and terrain elements are top notch though.

I don’t really think the minis are suitable for use on A&A boards, a bit too big.

Tide of Iron at Boardgamegeek.

• '10

@frimmel:

I did not like it. Too much like A&A minis. I did not find the minis particularly engaging. I did not like having to take the pieces out of the bases. The game like A&A Minis is both too small and too big at the same time.

I liked the tactical aspect of it but it just missed the mark IMO.

The modular map board and terrain elements are top notch though.

I don’t really think the minis are suitable for use on A&A boards, a bit too big.

Tide of Iron at Boardgamegeek.

Yeah I agree on the bases.  To much time setting up is wasted on just getting you infantry together.

• '10

@billinjackson:

Anyone play this game? Is it good? The pieces look pretty cool. Can they be used in Axis and allies?

Bill

Print out ILs larger Battle of the Bulge map and use the TOI pieces for it. BotB uses U.S., U.K. and German pieces. You will need to add some aircraft pieces.

• Never played it… Where can you get it at?

• '10

@Sun_Tzu:

Never played it… Where can you get it at?

It has been a while. Try searching Battle of the Bulge on this forum.

• No I meant tides of iron. Ive played Bulge before… I played it last week actually  :-)

• @Sun_Tzu:

Never played it… Where can you get it at?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_searchResults.php?search_text=tide+of+iron&form_search_number=25&go.x=0&go.y=0

You can look at it on Board Game Geek.

• Thanks skinny I looked at the game and it looks pretty cool…

• It is a pretty cool game but like others have said it takes a while to set up. The holes in the bases can be a little snug or a little big for the troop pegs so the snug pegs can take a little longer to get into the bases.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m