Russian plane in Egypt/London etc…Conundrum...

• Time to reveal a different path for Russia and how they could be played.

It has been written that Russia is unique, and as such is actually an un-cooperative ally. In truth this game could be called Axis, Allies, and Russia! Historically Russia gained vast territories and major concessions from the Allies as well as a defeated Axis!

In game terms… we have played at times…

1. That Russia never liberates a country or colony for an Allied player. The Russian player must keep whatever he recaptures or conquers.

2. No Allied Units are allowed to share the same area with a Russian Unit. Any time this happens all Allied Units are considered interned and removed from play. Russia collects from the bank 1 IPC for each Unit removed. This reflects salvageable materials

3. Russia may NEVER deliberately enter an area containing US or UK forces in order to expedite their removal from play etc…

So in this model the Russian plane could never intentionally land in an Allied tt to impede Axis combats!

Just some food for thought Krieg…

AC

• Nice touch, and interesting house rule. But in reality this only gives an advantage to the axis.

• '10

That’s not new. You are talking about “World at War” from XENO-Games.

• It is true and I wish that the strained relationship between the Allies and Russia had been incorporated more. I would love to have seen much of the far east worth less income (ie 0) and more in bonuses from controlling specific territory and/or having no allied troops in the same territories. Either that or the fact that Russian troops should never be allowed to occupy the same territory as her allies.

• Thats Zeno verbatuim, word for word. that said,
    I like these rules. been using them for years.

• Customizer

Do you also use the rule from the original A&A Europe where any Allied equipment that is in a Russian territory with an IC gets switched to Soviet pieces in USSR’s “place new units” phase?

• Yes… all you Xeno guys are paying attention!
    Not exactly verbatim but enough to get the flavor.
    There is more to the Xeno Russian perspective but then we would be playing a different version and not Larry’s game.
    By the way I had many talks with Frank Zenau (Xeno USA) and would love to hear a conversation between Larry and Frank on ALL these topics. For those that have not sampled World at War/Europe at War/Russia at War/Pacific at War… you have not seen true confusion until you tried some of those games.
    I will say that since A&A 1940 came out I have little interest to go back and try the Xeno stuff again. Do not get me started on WAW online… after many years they are still in Beta testing!!!&^%$#^@^#&$%$(
    AC

• How can Russian units land in the UK rd 1 before it is at war. 
    The UK is not allied with the USSR yet, so it is not friendly tt.
    It would be a violation of Phase 4 non combat rules.

I could see Russian units on Pacific UK tt, once Japan is at war with the USSR and the UK.

• I recal a concern about this that if UK is at war with Japan but Russia is not at war in Europe, Russia can land a fighter in Egypt, forcing Italy to ignore it or attack Russia.  This only really works if UK declares war on turn one or two, and Germany has not attacked Russia by turn two or three.  I don’t see this as a problem for the Axis:

• Japan would love a DoW by UK

• Germany tends to attack Russia anyway

• UK can generally hold Egypt by turn two without the Russians

If it’s the ahistoric nature of the situation that bothers you, how do you feel about Japan helping Italy in the Med, or America ignoring a Japanese occupation of Hawaii?

• @zooooma:

I recal a concern about this that if UK is at war with Japan but Russia is not at war in Europe, Russia can land a fighter in Egypt, forcing Italy to ignore it or attack Russia.  This only really works if UK declares war on turn one or two, and Germany has not attacked Russia by turn two or three.  I don’t see this as a problem for the Axis:

If it’s the ahistoric nature of the situation that bothers you, how do you feel about Japan helping Italy in the Med, or America ignoring a Japanese occupation of Hawaii?

I’ve seen it noted before ( I believe by Krieg) that the attacker can choose to not attack units that it is not at war with. So technically Italy could still attack and Russia would just watch from the sidelines. Because it isn’t a combat turn of Russia, then I doubt they could choose to go to war at that one moment especially if it’s before turn 4.

• @Natasin:

@zooooma:

I recal a concern about this that if UK is at war with Japan but Russia is not at war in Europe, Russia can land a fighter in Egypt, forcing Italy to ignore it or attack Russia.  This only really works if UK declares war on turn one or two, and Germany has not attacked Russia by turn two or three.  I don’t see this as a problem for the Axis:

I’ve seen it noted before ( I believe by Krieg) that the attacker can choose to not attack units that it is not at war with. So technically Italy could still attack and Russia would just watch from the sidelines. Because it isn’t a combat turn of Russia, then I doubt they could choose to go to war at that one moment especially if it’s before turn 4.

That only applies to sea zones. If Italy takes the territory, and the Russian plane remains, what happens?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m