• Thank you Aequitas. Just wondered if it was the motto of a Division or a Regiment that you were affiliated with or particularly liked. Not heard of that film you mentioned.
    I have driven to Florence via Germany and through Bavaria ( not in a rush obviously!) and have always liked it. Saw Dachau, ate a good pizza in Ulm, but did not fancy stopping in Munich too long as I am not to bothered about large cities.
    Have not been to Nuremberg, but feel I should.

• Has anyone been to Peryville, Ky and seen the battlefield there? I only ask as we are 4 days away from its anniversary(1862) and I will be away. Wondered if it was well maintained as it was Kentucky’s largest Civil War battle.
    Needless to say, it was one of Bragg’s messed up battles.
    I am not a  fan of his, or Davis, who should have sacked him sooner.

• @wittmann:

Has anyone been to Peryville, Ky and seen the battlefield there? I only ask as we are 4 days away from its anniversary(1862) and I will be away. Wondered if it was well maintained as it was Kentucky’s largest Civil War battle.
    Needless to say, it was one of Bragg’s messed up battles.
    I am not a  fan of his, or Davis, who should have sacked him sooner.

I have not, but I plan to. I have family that lives in Kentucky. I was surprised a battle of it’s size would have been turned into a National Park, but it’s only kept up by State funds.

• I think it warrants a memorial, so am glad it is a National Park.
    It was a significant battle in a well thought out double invasion campaign. It is a pity the Orphan Brigade was not present as it would have meant so much to them. Another four Brigade Division might even have tipped it for the South, as Bragg had two good Cavalry Brigades that could have helped make the contest more than just a rout of the Right Wing.
    The three Southern Divisions did a fantastic job on the day.
    As always the Army of Tennessee proved its mettle and formidable attacking skills.

• Thank you. Surely you can see that is where my heart is!
    I have always been a lover of what ifs and understand how easily a battle can turn on a single event, like a timely reinforcement.

• @Cromwell_Dude:

Wittmann, you are quite knowledgeable of our War Between the States. I might make you an honorary Southerner.

I’ll second that motion.

• Thank you Worsham.

• Speaking of honorary Southerners, Wittmann, I was wondering if you’d ever heard of these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederados

They sound a bit like the Civil War counterparts of the United Empire Loyalists who went to Canada after the Revolutionary War (except of course that they headed south rather than north).

• Hi Marc. I had not. Thank you for that. As a poor loser, I never learnt about Reconstruction and would like to think I would have been one of those who would have rather died than live under a Northern yoke. Immigration:  I can’t say if I could have done it. Maybe seeing those Blue soldiers or carpetbaggers walking tall through my town or fields might have pushed me into it.

• Customizer

Vicksburg, Miss. is a GREAT Civil War site! So many monuments, so many actual lines of trenches with cannon seemingly everywhere. They also have a real ironclad that was sunk, retrieved and put on display. It’s mostly just the wooden beams & structure but still fascinating. A whole day could easily be spent there.

“Tall Paul”

• I just finished my tour of the Shiloh Battlefield, awesome and very powerful moving.

During my trip I was able to visit the Sacramento and Perryville Battlefields in Kentucky.

Due to limited time and car problems, I was unable to visit Corinth sites and had to pass up Brice Crossing and Tupelo Battles.

• Sorry you had car problems. Brice’s Crossroads would have be nice to see, being Forrest’s greatest victory. You may not have missed too much by not seeing the other two. Isn’t Corinth a city? I am not sure how much there is to see of that battle. Did you look into it?
    Cannot remember the particulars of Tupelo(even when it was). Will look it up to remind myself.

• I went last weekend to Vicksburg Mississippi. Had a great trip. ![alt text]

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m