• This last weekend I visited my second Civil War Site, the Battle of Mansfield in North East Louisiana. It was the last major southern vicitory in the war.

What battle sites have you visited?

• '10

Sorry to say, none. I know that is just awful. Have a desire to visit Gettysburg some day.

• @Fishmoto37:

Sorry to say, none. I know that is just awful. Have a desire to visit Gettysburg some day.

I know, I want to visit more sites.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

As for Civil War I have been to Gettysburg.

I would encourage anyone and everyone to go there. It is beautiful now, and tremendously interesting, plus the town is great. But the Battlefield… wow! It is eerie at times, and at other time you walk the fields and just think of what happened there. It grieves your soul, but it hardens the pride in your country.

I have been to numerous War of 1812 forts, but not a large number of the battlefields.

• That reminded me, I visited Fort Morgan on Mobile Bay in Alabama. That was a great visit, the stone work on the fort was neat along with the large number of cannons. The pictures of what was left of the fort after Union artillery pounded its walls was truely awesome and sobering.

• For WWII, I’ve been to both Pearl Harbor and Normandy…very nice!  Haven’t visited any other sites though.

I’ve been to several Civil War battlesites, probably the most famous being Gettysburg.  Of the ones I’ve visited, Gettysburg was the best.

Also visited some Revolutionary War battlesites.  For me, Boston is the best having the most history in such a small (walkable - take the freedom trail through the city) area.  Very enjoyable.

Have not visited any 1812 battlesites (I really need to get to Washington DC sometime), but the USS Constitution is located at the end of the freedom trail in Boston.

I’ve also been to the Alamo (Texas independence), but for some reason I was dissapointed.  I was expecting more than was there.

@LHoffman:

I have been to numerous War of 1812 forts, but not a large number of the battlefields.

Let me correct myself… I have been to Washington DC twice. But you don’t generally think of it as having been a battlefield. While you are there you tend to focus on all the monuments and attractions. Anything War of 1812 gets glossed over.

• @LHoffman:

@LHoffman:

Let me correct myself… I have been to Washington DC twice. But you don’t generally think of it as having been a battlefield. While you are there you tend to focus on all the monuments and attractions. Anything War of 1812 gets glossed over.

BTW, of the soldiers who burned down the White house, were any of them Canadian?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

I’ve been to Chalmette, where the Battle of New Orleans was fought in 1815, to Fort Sumter where the Civil War began, and to the site of the Battle of the Cowpens, which was fought in the American Revolutionary War.

@calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

BTW, of the soldiers who burned down the White house, were any of them Canadian?

I don’t know… Why do you ask? I was always under the impression they were British regulars.

• @LHoffman:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

I don’t know… Why do you ask? I was always under the impression they were British regulars.

Well, this girl in my class said that Canadian history textbooks say that Canadians burned down the White House when they were actually British. I said that some of them may have been Canadians, but now I’m curious

@calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

Well, this girl in my class said that Canadian history textbooks say that Canadians burned down the White House when they were actually British. I said that some of them may have been Canadians, but now I’m curious

Well I have never heard that before. All the American classes I have been in said they were British. I haven’t read up on it though.

• My aunt was a US History teacher who lived outside D.C. so

Every Civil war battlefield within driving distance form DC. Multiple times. I can not think of a single Army of Northern Virginia battlefield I have not visited.

Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Chicamauga, Little big Horn, Fetterman Fight, Dade battlefield (2nd Seminole war), Atlanta, Olustee, FL, Yorktown, Franklin, Nashville, the OK Corral  :wink:

The only real big Civil War Battlefields that has elluded me are Shiloh and Stones River TN.

Next year we are taking a trip to the French countryside to see the WW1 battlefields. We will be traveling from Verdun to Ypres and in between.

• @legion3:

Next year we are taking a trip to the French countryside to see the WW1 battlefields. We will be traveling from Verdun to Ypres and in between.

That is an awesome trip.

• @LHoffman:

As for Civil War I have been to Gettysburg.

Great battle field, I also like Saratoga, Ticonaroga, Fort Mackinaw, Lexington and Concord, Bunker/Breeds hill, and Fort Sumpter.  I would really love to go to Normandy though.

@spartan:

I would really love to go to Normandy though.

Normandy has to be about Number 1 on everybody’s list. It is mine… sort of like, the epitome of war itself and the massive sacrafice of lives. I would be honored to go.

• I visited Fort Donelson on the Cumberland River during the Thanksgiving holiday. After seeing the awesome defensive position the South had, the quick surrender of the fort seemed foolish.

Signs of the network of trenches protecting the fort still existed.

I mosted liked the shrine honoring the unknown southern soldiers that were buried in unmarked trenches. The Shrine had these words, “Honor their valor, emulate the devotion with which they gave themselves to the service of their country, let it never be said that their sons in these southern states have forgotten their noble example.”

• As much as I would love to say Canadians DID burn down the White House  :lol: :-P, after doing some research I cannot find evidence that we did. I believe it was a bunch of British regulars, along with a contingent of British Marines who had been protecting Canada and were sent down south to fight.

• In two weeks I plan on visiting the Sabine Pass Battle site and doing some fishing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Sabine_Pass

• I’ll be heading the Pea Ridge Arkansas in June.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m