• yes it does because if leaving that british fleet in the pacific it could cut off 14 IPCs and capture a victory city and threaten Japan.

• @McLovin1985:

My friend just took the East Indies with that fleet, destroyed my Japanese fleet that occupied that sea zone (Battleship & Carrier with 2 fighters I believe), he got lucky rolls. Then used the transport to take 2 inf. from India. Again lucky rolls to take the East Indies. If the dice weren’t in his favor it’d be a horrible loss.

He also built an I.C. in AUS to go island hopping. Screw the mainland, getting Manila, East Indies and Borneo is a huge dent in Japans income. Also a pain in the neck for Japan to retake it while America builds up their fleet and starts to move in for the kill.

Killing the Japanese carrier + BB + 2 ftrs with 1 carrier, 1 cruiser and 1 ftr plus winning a 2 inf vs 2 inf amphibious assault? The odds of that happening are close to 0 (0.3% actually for the naval combat and 22% for the ground fight). He just took a huge gamble with the attack and the dice gods blessed him.

Otherwise the Japanese fleet on SZ can pretty much sink any UK fleet around Australia. The only option for the UK to keep that fleet intact is to assemble all of it at SZ30 but that will mean that the Japanese transport on SZ59 won’t be sunk, neither will Egypt be retaken and neither will FIC or Borneo be attacked.

And Japan will be still able to sink that fleet on SZ30 with 1 carrier, 1 BB and 4 ftrs. And build enough transports to attack the Japanese IC on Australia on J3 with 8 land units plus planes and bombardment. The UK/US can try to
    build and land as many planes as possible but the math is still against them.

1. If G1 has taken AES, UK1 should counter there with 3 inf, 1 ftr, 1 bmb + CC offshore while AC at 59.

My question, in this senario, is whether to go west or east with the ANZAC. J1 ftr can sink me either way, but I tend to choose east and (if survived) deploy the 2 ANZAC inf somewhere in Africa in UK3.
    If I go west though, I can deploy them in AES in UK2, which is great, though J1 almost always sinks my 2 ANZAC inf…

1. If G1 fails AES, there are imho 2 ways to go:
          i) Fortify AES with 3 inf, 1 ftr + CC in 15 SZ, buckle up and wait for G2, while AC 59, or,
          ii) CC 59 while 2 inf +ftr (+ AC) assault BOR. It makes J1 go so ballistic!

I choose i)

Imho UK1 IC in IND is a no. By J3 it can be overwhelmed and the Allies are soooo in trouble, Hobbes is right.

• @Hobbes:

@McLovin1985:

My friend just took the East Indies with that fleet, destroyed my Japanese fleet that occupied that sea zone (Battleship & Carrier with 2 fighters I believe), he got lucky rolls. Then used the transport to take 2 inf. from India. Again lucky rolls to take the East Indies. If the dice weren’t in his favor it’d be a horrible loss.

He also built an I.C. in AUS to go island hopping. Screw the mainland, getting Manila, East Indies and Borneo is a huge dent in Japans income. Also a pain in the neck for Japan to retake it while America builds up their fleet and starts to move in for the kill.

Killing the Japanese carrier + BB + 2 ftrs with 1 carrier, 1 cruiser and 1 ftr plus winning a 2 inf vs 2 inf amphibious assault? The odds of that happening are close to 0 (0.3% actually for the naval combat and 22% for the ground fight). He just took a huge gamble with the attack and the dice gods blessed him.

Haha wow, 0.3%?? Can’t be that low. U.K Carrier at 1, Fighter at 3, Cruiser at 3 VS. Battleship (2hits) 4, 2 Fighters at 4, Carrier at 2. Seems difficult but not 0.3%, whats almost like winning the lotto isn’t it  :lol:

• I don’t know anything but this 1 extremely risky move:
    Build a factory in India and build a navy there.
    The risk: If japan wins an invasion, there is absolutely no hope.

• @McLovin1985:

@Hobbes:

@McLovin1985:

Haha wow, 0.3%?? Can’t be that low. U.K Carrier at 1, Fighter at 3, Cruiser at 3 VS. Battleship (2hits) 4, 2 Fighters at 4, Carrier at 2. Seems difficult but not 0.3%, whats almost like winning the lotto isn’t it  :lol:

Nope, sounds about right to me! you’ll have 1 hit one your first turn (absorbeb by the BB, and he’ll have 2.3, killing you outright. 0,3% even sound… high! But I guess he did simalate ite with TripleA. So, don’t do it!!!

• I attack Egypt if Germany won it with less than 3 pcs. If not, I attack French Indo. I always attack the japansese transport.  Pretty standard but one variation I haven’t seen mentioned yet is what to do in noncombat. I like to sometimes land the plane on the carrier, the bomber in china, and move the sub up to striking distance of the coast of FIC. If I took FIC, this give Japan several targets and some tough decisions. It usually delays them from building any boats.

• I try this last game (including background form previous turns):

=Russian airplane to china
    =Lost egypt, 1 german tank + fighter remaining
    =India fighter took jap transport, landed china
    =Built IC in india
    = Retreated cruiser and AC to madagascar, and transport to a an adjacent zone
    = Moved australian sub into counter position (wes australia) , and london bomber to caucasus.

It was an all effort KJF , with us investing all in pacific, including an IC in sinkian… that because japan took India (with factory) R1.

The result was a disaster for allies  :-D (me). Japan was indeed very weak… but germans even with some unlucky turns advanced far in russia with an almost non existing uk, and 2 wolf packs patrolling all the time :)

• @SrFinn:

I try this last game (including background form previous turns):

=Russian airplane to china
    =Lost egypt, 1 german tank + fighter remaining
    =India fighter took jap transport, landed china
    =Built IC in india
    = Retreated cruiser and AC to madagascar, and transport to a an adjacent zone
    = Moved australian sub into counter position (wes australia) , and london bomber to caucasus.

It was an all effort KJF , with us investing all in pacific, including an IC in sinkian… that because japan took India (with factory) R1.

The result was a disaster for allies  :-D (me). Japan was indeed very weak… but germans even with some unlucky turns advanced far in russia with an almost non existing uk, and 2 wolf packs patrolling all the time :)

That’s the problem with KJF. If Germany isn’t held in check they get too big to handle too quick. At least in KGF strats, an unchecked Japan will still take about six rounds for them to become a problem.

• Well, (not to be patronizing) but it depends on what the allied strategy is.  If it is KJF then it must be expended to maximum effect on UK1 on Japan and the rest combined with USA fleet over time.  If it is KGF first, then preserving the fleet and combining it with the european fleet on UK5 or so has some merit.

• Hi,

I’m brand new to playing Axis and Allies……two games so far.

Wish I had discovered it years ago. A brilliant game.

Anyway, my first question:

Please can you describe how the fighter on carrier in SZ35 takes off, attacks Borneo and lands successfully, whilst the carrier attacks transport in SZ59.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• It can’t…. borneo is a separate space from the Sea zone surrounding it.  so from Sea Zone 35 the movement count would be… 36, 48, Borneo, 48.  so for the fighter to attack borneo the carrier has to end its movement in 48.

• @Keredrex:

It can’t…. borneo is a separate space from the Sea zone surrounding it.  so from Sea Zone 35 the movement count would be… 36, 48, Borneo, 48.  so for the fighter to attack borneo the carrier has to end its movement in 48.

Yeah, that’s what I don’t like about the Borneo attack. You have to send the cruiser to take out the trans or send the cruiser to Borneo and risk losing if it doesn’t hit. At least the plane stays alive.

• The only way Borneo can be an attack option is if Germany didn’t attack Egypt (and you have the right to laugh when it happens), if he lost there, or if he lost the Battleship vs Destroyer fight. In a nut shell, if you still own Egy at UK1, it is an option, if not, forget it.

• '16 Customizer

@Cromwell_Dude:

From one expert to another, what do you do with your British navy in India?   I’m on a fact finding mission.

Well, I’m no expert, but I’ll throw in my opinion. If Germany did not capture Egypt, one viable and pretty smart option is to send them through the Suez Canal. In the games I have played, Germany never goes for Egypt on G1… to do this they would have to devote fighters that could be used more effectively in Russia.

I have also seen them move off the coast of Africa near Madagascar, or even just stay in India. This is useful because later in the game the Indian Navy can be used as quite a nuisance to the Japs. Imagine a British carrier with a cruiser,transport,  and AUS sub emerging from the South Pacific right about the time an American fleet heads into Jap waters… that’s a lot for the Japs to handle.

Someone earlier talked about killing Jap transport on UK1… I had never thought about that, but it’s a good idea.

• @Spitfire38:

@Cromwell_Dude:

From one expert to another, what do you do with your British navy in India?   I’m on a fact finding mission.

Well, I’m no expert, but I’ll throw in my opinion. If Germany did not capture Egypt, one viable and pretty smart option is to send them through the Suez Canal. In the games I have played, Germany never goes for Egypt on G1… to do this they would have to devote fighters that could be used more effectively in Russia.

The G1 attack on Egypt is a window of opportunity that requires only 1 fighter to have a 90% chance of success. It is very hard for G to have the same chance again to take Egypt and destroy all the UK units, especially the tank and the fighter. You may use the fighters more effectively on Russia, but if you don’t take Egypt then the G Med fleet will be sunk, which reduce the Axis’ options and momentum.

• Thank you Keredrex and Col.Stuffenberg for your help.

If G1 doesn’t take Egypt, and on UK1 we take Borneo with the Cruiser, what to do with the fighter from SZ35?

Is it worth landing it in India, to reinforce the one remaining infantry and move infantry in from Persia (ie. India ends with 2 inf and 1 fighter)?

• If german doesn’t take egypt then you got another fighter in the area. so it depends on what you are doing with the carrier. 
    If you use the carrier to take out the Japanese transport in 59.  then you could land both planes in india and move in the inf.
    –-  india would have 2 inf. 2 fighter and The AA Gun. 
    If you keep the boats together you could use the fighter from 35 to take out the transport.  Still use the Cruiser to bombard borneo.  and land both fighters on the carrier in Sea zone 48 of borneo.

It really depends on what germany does… but in your example sure its worth it to leave india with 2 inf. 1 fighter and the AA Gun. japan could only send 2 inf. with planes. ( assuming transport is taken out )

• @Spitfire38:

@Cromwell_Dude:

I have also seen them move off the coast of Africa near Madagascar, or even just stay in India. This is useful because later in the game the Indian Navy can be used as quite a nuisance to the Japs. Imagine a British carrier with a cruiser,transport,  and AUS sub emerging from the South Pacific right about the time an American fleet heads into Jap waters… that’s a lot for the Japs to handle.

Someone earlier talked about killing Jap transport on UK1… I had never thought about that, but it’s a good idea.

Definitely. That is why I only said Borneo was an option. Others are also good and likely better in many cases.

• If Germany doesn’t take Egypt rd 1 it’s game over for the axis.  We’ve been playing weekly for ten years and when that happens the axis player conceeds and we start over.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m