• Well, I usually do one of two things: I counter Egypt with the trans, ftr, and CC(killing the Jap trans with the carrier) or I take FIC with the same forces, still killing the Japa tr with the carrier.

• well in that 1 area with sea zone 14 and 15 witth a destroyer to take out the german sub.

• @turkey:

well in that 1 area with sea zone 14 and 15 witth a destroyer to take out the german sub.

Eh? The only German sub will be in the Atlantic. the Indian Navy is far away

• @Cromwell_Dude:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Well, I usually do one of two things: I counter Egypt with the trans, ftr, and CC(killing the Jap trans with the carrier) or I take FIC with the same forces, still killing the Japa tr with the carrier.

I’ve seen your posts on here.  You’re a good guy.  Sad I have to preface my response to you like this, but I’m genuinely asking, not being rude, a smartass, armchair general, or dumber than dirt like some people on here-If you withdrawal British forces from India (which I have done many times), what is your overall strategy against Japan?

Hmm. Well, whether I attack FIC or Egypt, the Indian forces will be depleted, which means India will fall unless it has a factory and the US has built a Sinkiang factory. This is the Kill Japan First strat, where all the allies(even Russia, to an extent) focus on at least slowing down Japan. However, this is usually dismissed in favor of  KGF, where all three allies focus on killing Germany first while basically ignoring Japan. Japan is to be delayed in Persia, Sinkiang, Yakut, and Novosibirsk until Berlin falls.

• Take out Manila or Borneo! It’s a little gamble but odds are in your favor with the bombardment and bringing over 2 infantry from India (yes you might give up India in the process but you can always retake it). Also with the fighter, then in non-combat bring the other fighter from Egypt and land it on the carrier (4 spaces exactly). Then that gives the Japs just something else to worry about.

• @McLovin1985:

Take out Manila or Borneo! It’s a little gamble but odds are in your favor with the bombardment and bringing over 2 infantry from India (yes you might give up India in the process but you can always retake it). Also with the fighter, then in non-combat bring the other fighter from Egypt and land it on the carrier (4 spaces exactly). Then that gives the Japs just something else to worry about.

The ftr in Egypt is usually dead on UK1

• Not in my games. It always seems to survive. Germany goes elsewhere or just stacks in Libya waiting for their next turn to attack.

• I find three moves typically useful, depending on some factors:

If I forsee a British IC in India (with Russian support) then that fleet can combine in SZ 30 with the Aussies and their loaded transport and dodge the Jap fleet in the East Indies.  This allows some flexibility in future turns, especially if that IC produces some navy (though costly enough to prevent UK money from flowing into the Atlantic).  I had this strat used against me once where a particularly well-fought and risky naval battle on UK 3 actually tagged 2 Jap carriers and my 3 transports.

As McLovin’ pointed out, nabbing Borneo can offer the UK substantial cash flow for a turn or two at the cost of that Indian navy.  I’ve run that a few times, and used that money in the Atlantic as part of an overall KGF.  That move certainly marks your fleet for death, but its a pain in the dick for Japan to have to go out of it’s way to handle that island.

If the Japs don’t seem to be going for an immediate India push (which is rare in my experience), I like using that fleet to retake Egypt as someone stated previously, as well.

If you haven’t staged in SZ 30, you should give it a shot, it’s a surprisingly tough move to counter, and can always turn itself towards Africa, expecialy with the troops from Austrailia and India to land anywhere.

P.S. I think it’s SZ 30, it’s the one where the Jap ftrs can reach but not their bb/cv

• @MikeMasino:

As McLovin’ pointed out, nabbing Borneo can offer the UK substantial cash flow for a turn or two at the cost of that Indian navy.  I’ve run that a few times, and used that money in the Atlantic as part of an overall KGF.  That move certainly marks your fleet for death, but its a pain in the dick for Japan to have to go out of it’s way to handle that island.

If that fighter from Egypt does survive, and if you do fly it to support that Brittish fleet, it’ll make Japan think twice about attacking it. If Japan does attack it, they will take pretty big losses. Cruiser at 3, 2 fighers at 4, carrier at 2. Also you might combine that fleet with the sub and transport in lower AUS.

• One thing nobody has mentioned is the classic attack on Kwangtung. I’m not a fan of that myself, but you do take out the transport en route and I’ve seen it done several times. Myself I can almost never resist the chance to take out the Japanese fighter in FIC.

I’m not sure what MikeMasino means about SZ30. Unless I’m reading the map wrong there is no place the Australian navy and the Indian navy can stage outside the range of the Japanese fleet off Indonesia.

• Sorry, I was too lazy to look at a map to confirm.  The SZ I speak of is 2 moves directly south of the Indian fleet, and 2 SZ directly west of the Australian fleet.  If you manage to have a surviving ftr from Egypt, and the ftr that sinks the Kwangtung tranny, lands in China, and if it manages to survive, rejoins that fleet… that Indian fleet becomes more than a mere nuisance.  2 loaded transports are able to hit many islands,  That Australian sub suddenly becomes much more deadly in this situation.  Also, if you deplete Australia of its troops but not India, an IC in India becomes more reasonable with a fleet protecting it.

• '16 '15 '10

1. counter Egy with 2 inf ind, 1 inf trj, fig 35, and bmb uk as needed.  I don’t feel safe doing this unless there are no more then 3 units left on Egy.  Cru takes out 59, ac goes to safe Africa zone, with fig landing on it, which means that if the Japs attack with 2 figs it will be a 50/50 battle.

2. 2 inf ind +cru>bor, ac or fig to 59.

3. 3 inf fig cru attk FIC, while ac goes for 59

4. No attacks, cru to 59, ac/fig/trn goes to 33 , possibly with 2 inf from ind to land in Ken.

5. If you have a bry stack, use 35 fig to take out 59, land it on Bry, then pull back cru/ac/tpt to 33.

6. Use ac or cru on 59, send fig to Pearl fleet (52), have left over units retreat to 33 or attack Bor.

These are all reasonable options imho.  59 is the critical attack, while Bor, Fic or Egy are optional attacks.  What you do depends on you overall strategy and playing style.

• One thing nobody has mentioned is that you can fly the british fighter onto the US Carrier in Hawaii.  I am not saying I do this every game (I usually do this if Germany fails to take Egypt).  But if Japan is your target, forcing Japan to split its forces up can cause something to go wrong for them in one of the battles. I always use the carrier to take out the transport, and I run the cruiser whatever direction gives me the advantage.  Just my 2 cents…

• what about if you build a factory on australia, move your indian navy to meet the australian navy in zone 34 and, if the germans havent destroyed the egyptian fighter, move that there to. otherwise what i usually do is move the indian fleet through the suez canal (if egypt hasnt been taken) of around africa to the atlantic.

• @Me109:

what about if you build a factory on australia, move your indian navy to meet the australian navy in zone 34 and, if the germans havent destroyed the egyptian fighter, move that there to. otherwise what i usually do is move the indian fleet through the suez canal (if egypt hasnt been taken) of around africa to the atlantic.

An IC on Australia is too far out to have any influence on the mainland. The UK and the US would have to commit to a Pacific strat just to defend it while leaving the Germans completely loose on Europe.

• it might be too far aout to influence mainland but what if you used it to take over the pacific islands. this tactic could definety be useful and would really bug the japenese.

• i tried that strat just this weekend and brittan had 40+ IPCs, a good position and a destroyed japenese navy.

• My friend just took the East Indies with that fleet, destroyed my Japanese fleet that occupied that sea zone (Battleship & Carrier with 2 fighters I believe), he got lucky rolls. Then used the transport to take 2 inf. from India. Again lucky rolls to take the East Indies. If the dice weren’t in his favor it’d be a horrible loss.

He also built an I.C. in AUS to go island hopping. Screw the mainland, getting Manila, East Indies and Borneo is a huge dent in Japans income. Also a pain in the neck for Japan to retake it while America builds up their fleet and starts to move in for the kill.

• In that case, Borneo is only lightly defended.  I have had the Brits take that every now and then, because it can be taken without much of a problem.  That East Indies bit sounded crazy, I had a move similar to that smash a much larger Japanese fleet of mine.  It is still difficult, with taking that transport out in Kwangtung, for Japan to get those islands back quickly.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m