Can anyone give me their personal opinion on AA50 vs global?

• @LHoffman:

I agree with much of this. Although I will say that I am not a hard-core playtester type… meaning I don’t go through different strategies and different approaches, just for the sake of doing so. This being said, my jury is still out on the unbalanced factor. I think AA50 is a very good game though.

Given AAG40s scope, I would have prefered it to be “Deluxe” style, with all the toppings, like AA50 was. I am not too worried because I plan to modify its contents enough so that I will make it deluxe myself.

I believe Larry has a long term plan for a “Deluxe” game

• I prefer AA50 because the movement of AAG40 didn’t change and yet the number of spaces doubled.

I just want a 4 hour game.AAG40 does not fit the bill.

It would have been easier if the setup was printed on the map, because it takes too long to do this.

Plus most of the ideas from AA50 are in AAG40.

I would love to see a AA50 reprint with all the new pieces and a 1939, 1941 and 1942 scenario and the French. It would also include neutrals and thick double sided tokens.

I start too many sentences with I.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Imperious:

I start too many sentences with I.

Well, you are Imperious… which sounds epically important… so it is natural you should start sentences with ‘I’.

• AA 50 had Italian tanks, but horrible piece quality.

• I personally prefer AAG40 for a few reasons.  1): The new units in AAG40 add new strategy and options to all of the countries.  2): The addition of France and ANZAC is a nice touch.  3): Neutral countries add yet more depth and strategy to both the Axis and Allies.  4): More money on the board means more intense and exciting battles.  5):  Allowing Germany and Japan to choose when they go to war keeps the Allies guesing and lets the Axis players set the pace of the early game.

Both versions are great, but AAG40 is the better choice if you want the complete AA experience.  IMO anyway

• Global 1940 is as much better than AA50 as AA50 is better than MB’s Gamemaster edition from 1984.

• well hey. thanks for the opinions guys. ill buy and report how my first game went.

@calvinhobbesliker:

Can you elaborate?

• @LHoffman:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Can you elaborate?

Here’s Larry’s site: http://harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/index.php?sid=e5e8abc255ebf9c1fcedbe3dee49aa29

Near the bottom are boards called Advanced-Axis and Allies

• There is a “Axis and Allies: Deluxe” forum on his site, but if you look at it, the last post was from sometime in 2009, but the majority of stuff is from 2007/2008, I think Deluxe was the Global plan.

• '10

Love them both after the disapointing spring 1942 edition.

Need extra large gaming dates for global (2 pm - 2 am).

Anniversary is for an evening (7 pm - 2 am).

Both have a fantastic map desingn.

I’ am glad to own both versions (Anniversary and 1940s).

• There is no real clear cut answer to which is better because both have great gameplay yet time is the true determining factor. If u had to chose which to play by time constants, you won’t feel like u played a lesser game by choosing one over the other. Where as aa42 would, in my opinion leave me felling I had just chosen to play a lesser game

@calvinhobbesliker:

Here’s Larry’s site: http://harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/index.php?sid=e5e8abc255ebf9c1fcedbe3dee49aa29

None of the topics under “Axis and Allies Deluxe” have posts that are any later than 2009. Is there a specific place where Larry mentions this idea of eventually creating some sort of Deluxe game? I am very interested in his conception of what it will be. Is it buried in those threads on his site somewhere?

• @LHoffman:

@calvinhobbesliker:

None of the topics under “Axis and Allies Deluxe” have posts that are any later than 2009. Is there a specific place where Larry mentions this idea of eventually creating some sort of Deluxe game? I am very interested in his conception of what it will be. Is it buried in those threads on his site somewhere?

That’s what I meant. I guess they either postponed the idea due to global or they scrapped it.

Anyway, this is probably going to be the most complex grand strategic game for a while. The next few will be battle specific. i’m not sure if it can get much bigger without going into world of flames territory

• @fanofbond:

T Where as aa42 would, in my opinion leave me felling I had just chosen to play a lesser game

I wouldn’t say AA42 is a lesser game. It is definitely shorter and smaller but for people like me that don’t have the room to set up an AAG40 game, AA42 fills the niche nicely. I added in NAs, NOs, a 1941 setup (thanks to Hobbes), and research and development to AA42 to make it a little better, or more like Revised with AA50 rules. And AA42 does not have all of the errata or set up changes to balance the game. Also, at retail price it is about $150.00 cheaper than AAG40.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m