• Played a A&A1940 Europe last week.  I crushed Russia completely.  Even had units sitting in Novawhatever so they couldnt get the two free units a turn ( I assumed the units couldnt appear on top of mine).  Everyone thinking Axis had won we looked at the book and realized Axis needed 8 victory cities to win.  This means holding Paris, both Axis capitals, taking all three Russia cities plus one more!
    So realistically thats Cairo or maybe London.
    My tanks at Moscow needed about 6 turns to plow through the middle east to get to Cairo where there was a Brit factory already.  Since the Italian fleet was long since gone (as usual) it seemed the only way.
    That was way more than long enough for US + Brits to hammer the coasts of Europe and take a victory city (being either Paris or Berlin).
    The game seems really hard for the Axis.  They have to dominate Russia, win in Africa, AND hold off all major incursions on Europe.
    In my game even though I was making close to 80 IPCs I didnt have enough to hold Paris while simutaniously defending Berlin from a massive US/Brit invasion.

Anyone having any luck winning with Axis?  Seems like they cant make any mistakes or have a bigger battle go bad.

CC

• Yeah. It’s hard. It seems like the way to win is to not make any mistakes and throw everything you have at Russia and keep throwing it. You’ll either win before the Yanks have a chance to take somewhere back, or you won’t. I’m getting the feeling that if the Axis hasn’t won by about round 7-8, they won’t. I don’t think taking England is a viable option if it doesn’t happen G2. It just detracts too much from the Soviet Front.

• Actually, in most of my games Cairo has fallen pretty quickly (I2 or I3), cut the Russian front bogged downEven if the Italian navy gets wiped out B1, the Germans can send some fighters South G2 and wipe out the British/French there, and the Italians can build a fleet back up. Once they’ve secured Egypt, the rest of Africa falls pretty easily.

Just curious, but how did you take out Russia so easily? My games always get clogged up after taking Leningrad, with Moscow pumping out enormous stacks of infantry.

• with the game I’ve played i used the broad attack and Russia counter attacks failed. you have to have then defend everywhere and then massive breakthrough on Moscow. i go with the tank blitz in the east and infantry in the west with a tank stack to counter any landings. also you just buy land and a little air. NO NAVY!!! that’s the biggest mistake. upgrade you Germany factory after you take France and put more units in the north to tie up soviet forces, this will also help with defending it from an easy allies attack. Italy has to take Egypt by round 3 or its over for them. keep yourself out of the war with USSR/US as long as possible.

• @GrizzlyMan:

Just curious, but how did you take out Russia so easily? My games always get clogged up after taking Leningrad, with Moscow pumping out enormous stacks of infantry.

I think my success was two part in Russia.
    One is that Brits took all its remaining navy to mess with the Italians.  They only attacked my damaged battleship with its air power (and lost).  I then actually bought an Aircraft Carrier and wasnt bothered by a nearby transport for quite some time.
    Secondly I won a fluke defensive battle against the Russians.  They had been playing cat and mouse with me so I sent two semi-large forces around each side of the swamp.  Once I had Leningrad the Russians went hard south to try to intercept the Stalingradward force.  They attacked a spot between them with a Fighter and 2 Inf verus my 1 Infantry…and lost!  This allowed all my tanks in Leningrad to join the southern force’s attack on the main Russian army and crush them right outside of Moscow.  After that it was just clean up.

I admit that both events were odd and if anything helped the Axis…yet we still lost.  At least I had fun completely smashing Russia.

Wak

• @Wakrob:

Played a A&A1940 Europe last week.  I crushed Russia completely.  Even had units sitting in Novawhatever so they couldnt get the two free units a turn ( I assumed the units couldnt appear on top of mine).  Everyone thinking Axis had won we looked at the book and realized Axis needed 8 victory cities to win.  This means holding Paris, both Axis capitals, taking all three Russia cities plus one more!
    So realistically thats Cairo or maybe London.

Berlin, Rome, Paris, Cairo, Leningrad, Moscow, Stalingrad and Warsaw = 8 cities.

• If you build a factory in Cairo as UK, its great!!  If you can get away with it, which is hard.  The best way to do this is to save your transport, not worry about Greece, combine your fleet, bring up some reinforcements from south Africa, and land as many allied aircraft there as you can by turn 3 or 4.  If you throw down a factory there by turn 3 or 4, then you have Africa and a sizable fleet to help protect India one the good ole USA puts the vice on Italy.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m