• Hi!

I’m just getting back into Axis & Allies and noticed that there are an overwhelming number of expansions and variants now available :o and I don’t know where to start!

I’d like to expand my horizons and get some of them but I was wondering, which Axis & Allies expansions/variants are the good ones to get and which ones are the duds that should be avoided?

Thanks!

• Hasn’t anyone tried any of the expansions for Axis & Allies and found any of them good enough to recommend or bad enough to warn about?

Are they all just so-so, middle-of-the-road, take-em-or-leave-em things?

• I’ve only tried A&A Europe, World At War & War to end all wars. I like W@W the best, ,but it takes a much bigger commitment to play then the original A&A. Don’t expect to finish a game in one sitting, alot two days or more of playing. Also, the rules are opaque and difficult to use - make up house rules or take someone elses from the net

A&A Europe is alright, worth the money if you’re a fan, but not a fundamentally different game.

War to end all wars is irritating, poorly made and poorly designed. It’s not worth time or money.

• I like the Generals of Waterloo Large Europe map and rules.
    very large map like 3 feet by 5 feet. And another 3 x 2 feet of boxes and extras Tons of extra new stuff added: Trains, Cities, Ship Building , Harbours, Geography, - You have to have both Axis & Allies and A&A Europe as you use both sets of pieces units and they are treated differently. like 20 different types of weapons now.

He also added all these extra rules but we only use half of them - too much extra stuff with submarines. The usual house rules - double hit battleships, and paratroopers, type rules we kept. Also has rules and sea areas which does the battle of the Atlantic excellent. A lot better then the A&A Europe map.

More historically correct too.

And looks pretty good - better map than Xeno’s W@W.

JB

• World at War is probably the best A and A variant out there.

• 2007 AAR League

East and West from impgames is very good. It takes place in the Cold War era. There’s a few things that aren’t to great about it though, like a paper board. You can purchase it at www.impgames.com.

• In my opinion:

“World at War” is the best expansion for A&A, found at Xeno Games (www.xenogames.com). I also like the “A&A Accessories” & “Central Powers” Miniatures Expansion Sets by Table Tactics (www.tabletactics.com).

I especially like to combine the three and with a little rule variations (“House Rules”) – it doesn’t get any better!!

Mista Biggs 8)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m