Why were there only 3 play-test games for Global?

• @MaherC:

Setups and rules that the majority of AA players will not know about.

First, I don’t appreciate being called names.  I just have a different perspective than you.

Second, your beloved A&A Classic was a “messed up game” out of the box by the criteria you’re using to judge these recent games.  Allies should win every time after you figure out how to play.  So why not rip on Classic?

P40’s a good game OOB.  If you don’t like it, change the rules and make your own house rule.  Apparently you need to be spoonfed with a perfect game that you don’t have to tweak in any way whatsoever.  There are great games called “Chess” and “Monopoly” that need no tweaking whatsoever.  If you don’t like it (1940 games), fine.  You’ve said your piece.

Next!

• Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I’ll contact Wizards of the Coast.

• @gamerman01:

@MaherC:

First, I don’t appreciate being called names.  I just have a different perspective than you.

Second, your beloved A&A Classic was a “messed up game” out of the box by the criteria you’re using to judge these recent games.  Allies should win every time after you figure out how to play.  So why not rip on Classic?

P40’s a good game OOB.  If you don’t like it, change the rules and make your own house rule.  Apparently you need to be spoonfed with a perfect game that you don’t have to tweak in any way whatsoever.  There are great games called “Chess” and “Monopoly” that need no tweaking whatsoever.  If you don’t like it (1940 games), fine.  You’ve said your piece.

Next!

Yep…

• @gamerman01:

@MaherC:

First, I don’t appreciate being called names.  I just have a different perspective than you.

Second, your beloved A&A Classic was a “messed up game” out of the box by the criteria you’re using to judge these recent games.  Allies should win every time after you figure out how to play.  So why not rip on Classic?

P40’s a good game OOB.  If you don’t like it, change the rules and make your own house rule.  Apparently you need to be spoonfed with a perfect game that you don’t have to tweak in any way whatsoever.  There are great games called “Chess” and “Monopoly” that need no tweaking whatsoever.  If you don’t like it (1940 games), fine.  You’ve said your piece.

Next!

Once again you miss the point.  FOR 90$ YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CHANGE THE RULES OF A GAME OUT OF THE BOX TO MAKE IT PLAYABLE.

J1 / J3IC actually MAKE pac40 very much like the chess you tell me to go play.

Next time you go to buy a car, drop 20,000 and tell them you don’t need the body, you’ll tweak some cardboard into one.

• Would love to see sales figures for P40/E40/G40.  If 600 copies were sold, then you are completely right.  There is no need for the game to be good to go out of the box.  AA is a small, niche market, 90% of which reads these forums.

But if in some crazy attempt to actually turn a profit WOTC was trying to produce a game for more than those of us who read these forums…

EPIC FAIL.

• I agree with gamerman and yoper. I think its very obvious, especially if any of you have worked for or with a corporation, that quality does not matter 1% as much as meeting deadlines and maximizing profit margins. Short of Larry Harris totally producing his own game (the cost to him would be gargantuan and guess what, it would be passed on to you the consumer who is already complaining about buying a game priced at $180, imagine buying one at $350-$500).  If you don’t like the game, you have two options. 1. Contact WOTC or the store which you bought it, vent your grievances, and demand a return. 2. Channel your anger into something constructive, like the project to attempt to balance the game. Everyone has a right to bitch but some people on here are way past that point and are simply beating a dead horse. I think Global 40 is balanced OOB and the “alpha setup” makes for a similarly balanced games as well (for the record I’ve played 6 games of Global so far 3 oob, 1 with the air force reduction change, and 2 with alpha). If you’re so sure Larry Harris is like Brett Favre (who sucks and is an egotistical baby) I dare you to create a better game that can actually be sold on a mass scale like Axis and Allies. Return your game or help fix it. Stop insulting people and whining.

• Tell you what internet tough guy, you win a Super Bowl, 3 NFL MVPs and earn 100s of millions of dollars and I’ll make a game as good as LH’s.  Oh? you can’t play in the NFL?  But you can still have an opinion about a player in it?    Funny, you said I can’t say these games are garbage and LH has lost his touch according to your rules unless I myself can do better…

Pay 350 for a game that actually works?  You got it.  Some of us aren’t using our allowances here.  Paid $100 for AA50, $160+ for these 2 games, silly me for expecting MORE from G40 (touted as the MOSTUS EXPECKUS GAMEZ OF 4X!S n 4||i3Z EVUR! by all the fanboys).

• @MaherC:

Tell you what internet tough guy, you win a Super Bowl, 3 NFL MVPs and earn 100s of millions of dollars and I’ll make a game as good as LH’s.  Oh? you can’t play in the NFL?  But you can still have an opinion about a player in it?    Funny, you said I can’t say these games are garbage and LH has lost his touch according to your rules unless I myself can do better…

Pay 350 for a game that actually works?  You got it.  Some of us aren’t using our allowances here.   Paid $100 for AA50, $160+ for these 2 games, silly me for expecting MORE from G40 (touted as the MOSTUS EXPECKUS GAMEZ OF 4X!S n 4||i3Z EVUR! by all the fanboys).

I said you could complain. The quote is “Everyone has a right to b**** but some people on here are way past that point and are simply beating a dead horse,” I guess you understood who it was directed at. My point was you could continue to whine and complain on this forum, but that it was silly, useless, and in the end not constructive or helpful to anyone but your ego. If you hate the game return it man. And ya, I don’t have an allowance I’m a grown man MaherC. I bought this game with my own money. Thanks for the insult though. Just proving my point when I said “Stop insulting people and whining.” May I ask why are you picking fights with people on an internet forum for a board game?

• Maher - I see your point, but no need to barge around like a bull in a china shop.

I own every single one of the games released since the Nova Games version - and I own that one too.

The current global games have the best component quality, best rules explanation, and arguably the best balance except for the smaller battle-level games.

All of the Axis & Allies games have been broken to some extent - for one thing, the variety of options available to players means that sometimes the optimal strategy is not discovered until it is released to the general public.

Do we have a great game? Yes. Did WotC listen to us? Mostly.

Better quality pieces - check
    Better quality boards - check
    Enough pieces - check
    Better rules - check
    Less misspellings - check

More chips - not so much…
    and I’m sure you can think of different problems, as well.

No one is perfect - and given how tough things are right now, I understand speeding up production schedules.

All that being said, A&A Global is a darn good game, and worth every penny - why did you pay $180 for both games? You can get it for $120 at Coolstuffinc.com (shipped!)

• I got to agree with MaherC a little here. Its obvious that he’s being a little to zealous, but the point he is trying to make is important. We, as consumers, really need to let the companies know when we feel like we are being taken advantage of. Turning a blind eye and rationalizing away problems through creative personal action is basically telling the company that they can just do it again. I mean, if you want to pay 80 or even 160 for a game that has pretty obvious flaws out of the box then i will gladly print you all a world war 2 game that i made myself. it does require that you all make up some rules so that 1 player doesn’t win every time, in addition you need to print out some stuff to correct some misprints as well.

That cool?

ill even give you all my paypal account info and some pics of the killer artwork.

On a side note to the flame. can anyone give me their personal opinion on AA50 vs global?

• As an upset consumer, make your point to WOTC. They don’t read this forum. This is a forum for players. You may have to call them, email them, or write them an angry letter. But insulting fellow players on an internet forum will not help anything.

• If i’m being “zealous” or testy as it were, consider I’ve been choking on the lemon that is P40 since release.    Have dealt with the forum trolls and fanboys since then who have said “you are crazy, J1 attack is suicide…”

those same people BLINDLY defend LH and G40/E40.

as for being “part of the solution”

In my society, I exchange money for goods and services.  I go to a restaurant and pay to have someone else cook the meal, bring it to me, and clean up…I don’t expect to be directed to the kitchen by the hostess.

If WOTC/HASBRO/LH wants to put me on the payroll, I’m all for doing the job that should have been done initially.   But when I’m a consumer, I shouldn’t be expected to FIX the problems.

I guess my answer to “help out the cause and be part of the solution” is…

No.

• @MaherC:

If i’m being “zealous” or testy as it were, consider I’ve been choking on the lemon that is P40 since release.    Have dealt with the forum trolls and fanboys since then who have said “you are crazy, J1 attack is suicide…”

those same people BLINDLY defend LH and G40/E40.

as for being “part of the solution”

In my society, I exchange money for goods and services.  I go to a restaurant and pay to have someone else cook the meal, bring it to me, and clean up…I don’t expect to be directed to the kitchen by the hostess.

If WOTC/HASBRO/LH wants to put me on the payroll, I’m all for doing the job that should have been done initially.  But when I’m a consumer, I shouldn’t be expected to FIX the problems.

I guess my answer to “help out the cause and be part of the solution” is…

No.

Fine. But then there’s no point in complaining about it. It’s not like they’ll give you your money back for this. In fact, you don’t even have to participate. let others come up with a solution, and then you can easily make the changes. But, I guess you’re too principled to use errata. That’s the problem with people; they are so inflexible that they can’t deviate even a bit from their ideology

• @dadler12:

As an upset consumer, make your point to WOTC. They don’t read this forum. This is a forum for players. You may have to call them, email them, or write them an angry letter. But insulting fellow players on an internet forum will not help anything.

As you are new here I’ll cut you some slack.   Go to the p40 forums.  read about all the complaining that myself and others did to WOTC to FINALLY get them to mail out 6 Tac Bombers.    I’m now apathetic to the cause, since nothing was learned by WOTC/LH with the p40 screwups.

• @MaherC:

@dadler12:

As an upset consumer, make your point to WOTC. They don’t read this forum. This is a forum for players. You may have to call them, email them, or write them an angry letter. But insulting fellow players on an internet forum will not help anything.

As you are new here I’ll cut you some slack.  Go to the p40 forums.  read about all the complaining that myself and others did to WOTC to FINALLY get them to mail out 6 Tac Bombers.    I’m now apathetic to the cause, since nothing was learned by WOTC/LH with the p40 screwups.

Really? Okay, what is your list of problems with E40?

• I should not have to print out extra pages to staple into the rulebook, make new stickers to put on top of the setup chart, use a marker to correctly draw sea zone lines…

I seriously considered printing off the gameboard instead of buying it.   I have such a thing that I use as my travel AA50.  But silly me I supported the company and bought it, wanting to have something that wasn’t put together piecemeal…

Oh wait, that’s what I’m going to have to do w/G40, P40 and perhaps E40 (should someone come up w/a J3IC style move for it)

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@MaherC:

@dadler12:

As you are new here I’ll cut you some slack.   Go to the p40 forums.  read about all the complaining that myself and others did to WOTC to FINALLY get them to mail out 6 Tac Bombers.    I’m now apathetic to the cause, since nothing was learned by WOTC/LH with the p40 screwups.

As I’m not going to bother arguing w/you (see previous discussion where I pointed out you live w/your parents and are still wet behind the ears)  I’ll give you an easy one for E40….why doesn’t the ocean color match P40?

• @MaherC:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@MaherC:

@dadler12:

As you are new here I’ll cut you some slack.  Go to the p40 forums.  read about all the complaining that myself and others did to WOTC to FINALLY get them to mail out 6 Tac Bombers.    I’m now apathetic to the cause, since nothing was learned by WOTC/LH with the p40 screwups.

As I’m not going to bother arguing w/you (see previous discussion where I pointed out you live w/your parents and are still wet behind the ears)  I’ll give you an easy one for E40….why doesn’t the ocean color match P40?

Yes, an ad hominem: just because I’m not 18 means my opinions are irrational.

Also, unmatched ocean color is better than missing tacs, wrong battleboard, and broken game. The game can’t be perfect, otherwise it would be released in 2015 and cost twice what anniversary costs on Amazon(hyperbole here).

• @MaherC:

I should not have to print out extra pages to staple into the rulebook, make new stickers to put on top of the setup chart, use a marker to correctly draw sea zone lines…

I seriously considered printing off the gameboard instead of buying it.   I have such a thing that I use as my travel AA50.  But silly me I supported the company and bought it, wanting to have something that wasn’t put together piecemeal…

Oh wait, that’s what I’m going to have to do w/G40, P40 and perhaps E40 (should someone come up w/a J3IC style move for it)

A FAQ is an addendum. No need to staple it to your rulebook.

Stickers for the setup chart? Are you nuts? That is for P40.

Sea zone lines are correct in E40.

Let me clue you in a little, Mr. Anti-fan boy blah blah blah. - Don’t like it, don’t buy it. Like it, buy it. But don’t complain about problems that don’t exist.

• Name one current product out on the market that is perfect.

There are none.

Life is full of compromise - we could all have an A&A game with solid gold pieces, and a marble board, but it would cost tens of thousands of dollars. Given the price point, you are getting value for your money. Is it perfect? No. Could it be better? Yes. Is it awesome? YES!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m