• It seems to me that if I play Italy right, I should almost never lose Rome.

For example,
    by turn 4, land at least one unit in Gibraltar. 
    If Gibraltar is taken, move a destroyer to SZ 92 in turn 5 and begin turtling with infantry. 
    If 92 taken, move destroyers to SZ 93, 94 and continue turtling with infantry and tanks in turn 6. 
    If 93 taken, either attack with fleet and fighters and Tac bombers, or just turtle in Italy.  Also, move a destroyer to SZ 92 for good measure to cut off any movement by the American fleet, which has now been out of any serious combat for 3 rounds, and if the Axis aren’t kicking butt by turn 7, they never will.

Of course, none of this will work if Italy loses its fleet early on, and it may be cut short by a round if UK sends in bombers in turn 6 to clear the way for the US (bombers land in Gibraltar).  But that Italian land force should be sufficient to hold back the US’s first round of assaults and the time spent by the U.S. fleet in the Med buys more time for Germany to take Russia.

• what about the british part of the game?

if they launch an attack on your blocking destroyer, the US can easily march through your “blockade”, because there is no one more left.

so you need help from germany in any way. without it, you cannot resist a well-planed amphibious assault.

“1-2-punch” is the magic word behind it. (it works for the allies, as for the axis)

rock`n roll

• Italy’s turn is after the UK and before the US, so if the UK takes out a destroyer, you have to have one in reserve to move up on Italy’s turn.  You should actually always have 2 destroyers in reserve to block the entire Mediterranean after the US gets that first SZ in the Med.

• this is what i mean: you are forced to buy things you, maybe, don´t want to buy.
    uk takes out some destroyer. so you rebuy one as italy, have to place it at the capital. (cannnot move those unit, actually). in this manner the way for the us CAN be freed of any italian block. if not, then your builds and moves have been wise ones. ;)

the other way round, an italian navy can support quite well a german sealion by protecting the needed transporters etc.

• this is what i mean: you are forced to buy things you, maybe, don´t want to buy.

Rock n Roll,  the strategy of stalling the US incursion into the Med with destroyers only works for those who want to avoid the capture of Rome, or by those who are forced to do so by a heavy-handed Fuhrer.  If you don’t want to by a few destroyers, fine.  Then, buy infantry and turtle up, because the US is coming into the Med.  That’s a valid strategy, too (turtling up, that is).

• maybe i have been misunderstood a bit.

but, back to topic: sealion version 1.0 ;)

• So how does this change with scrambles?  I’m thinking that UK could really throw a wrench in the plan by scrambling on SZ110.  I guess you could still go around to SZ109.  Also, as Germany would you just withdrawal so you don’t lose your fighters?

• Sorry not on the lingo but what are these purchases?1 CV, 1 SS, 1 AP

Thanks

• @billinjackson:

Sorry not on the lingo but what are these purchases?1 CV, 1 SS, 1 AP

Thanks

cv=aircraft carrier
    ss=submarine
    ap=transport I believe, that is an odd one

• @JamesAleman:

@billinjackson:

Sorry not on the lingo but what are these purchases?1 CV, 1 SS, 1 AP

Thanks

cv=aircraft carrier
    ss=submarine
    ap=transport I believe, that is an odd one

It’s not that odd.  Un-armed naval ships are generally called Auxilary ______.  AP stands for Auxiliary - Personnel (or passenger), I believe.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m