French African tt, should Italy take them?

• I have only played a few games so far, but if Italy takes the French African tt, the US will eventually end up with them. They are on the west African coast, and the US will be there at some point. There are 5 (correction 6) French ipc’s up for grabs on the African mainland. Italy can get them, but will only collect the IPC’s for a few rounds. That leaves the US economy growing once they recapture them. They will be worth more to the US in most cases as the game goes on if Italy invades them. If for some reason the 3 French units in North Africa combine on one tt, then as Italy I would hit it, but it might be better to not invade the other two tt. Does anyone else see it this way, or should Italy just grab what it can to grow its own econ.

• Actually, Sub-Saharan Africa has 3 territories with ipcs: west, central, equatorial

• Hey your right, there’s 6 ipc’s up for grabs. Do you take them as axis, or should you leave most of them so US can’t convert them?

• @WILD:

Hey your right, there’s 6 ipc’s up for grabs. Do you take them as axis, or should you leave most of them so US can’t convert them?

Well, so far I haven’t played a game to the point where Italy can break through Sudan and breakout into Sub-Saharan Africa. Usually, the Brits and Its trade Egypt. This will end when either the US comes in to save the UK or Germany comes in to save Italy.

As for North Africa, Taking Tunis and Algeria, which can’t be reached by the US in 1 move

• The E40 game we played the Italians took almost all of Africa. The UK didn’t hit the Italian Navy UK1, it was overly concerned w/German naval builds and brought the Gib fleet home. This was a mistake (kinda) because the loaded carrier was lost anyway to German air, but the Germans also lost valuable air units so Sea Lion was a no go (if it was ever a go in the first place). The UK did end up taking out the German navy soon after (came out of Baltic to soon ooch)

Back to topic, the Italians took just about all of Africa including the S African IC w/help of part of its navy & tpts (which got locked out of the Med he-he) Italy even ran out of roundels to mark its conquests. The US is just way to much for Italy to handle though (at least in E40). They were making over 70 ipc’s w Brazil & a few former French tt. Then in the 10th round it really got serious when the US went for the strict neutrals (income around 90 give/take). In the mean time Germany managed to take out Moscow in the 8th round with its 47 units vs 39 Soviets (a good fight). By this time though the US had flexed its muscles, and owned/liberated all of Africa, controlled the Med, and destroyed the Italian navy. Even with Moscow in German hands, the writing was on the wall. It would have taken a few rounds, but there was no stopping them (USA). In that game Italy only got the benefit of the French tt ipc’s for a couple rounds. Every thing looked as if it was going there way. Then the “Jolly Green Giant” comes over and takes back the French tt’s for a 6 ipc swing. The US made more $ from the French tt then Italy did.

• I guess it comes down to estimating whether this temporary income boost for the Italians will pay off against UK/Russia before the US comes and takes the Italians down. Given the ressources (lost units + TIME) it will take to conquer these North African territories to begin with, it may not pay off. These ressources might be better utilized in the Caucasus.

• I think the +6 IPC is worth more for Italy then for the USA. Going from 20 to 26 is relatively better then from 82 to 88.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m