College Football is finally here.

• That 2001 Nebraska was a pretty good team.

They just went up against a Miami team of that had a ridiculous number of future NFL All-Pro players (38 Draft picks on that team, 17 First Round picks)

Anyone would look bad against a team like that.

• @frimmel:

Playoffs, schmayoffs. The argument for playoffs in college football to me sort of sounds like arguing to put a wang on Jessica Biel because she isn’t attractive to gay dudes.

Hahaha, nice!  Wish I could applaud you for that one.

• Every March the country stops and enjoys college basketball playoffs, it’s amazing. Why can’t we have a college football playoff system? The Television money for a playoff system would be vast.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@ABWorsham:

Every March the country stops and enjoys college basketball playoffs, it’s amazing. Why can’t we have a college football playoff system? The Television money for a playoff system would be vast.

I am under an obvious assumption that TV money for bowl games is pretty vast too.

• @LHoffman:

@ABWorsham:

Every March the country stops and enjoys college basketball playoffs, it’s amazing. Why can’t we have a college football playoff system? The Television money for a playoff system would be vast.

I am under an obvious assumption that TV money for bowl games is pretty vast too.

The larger bowls are great. But the are many ‘junk games bowls’.

@ABWorsham:

@LHoffman:

The larger bowls are great. But the are many ‘junk games bowls’.

Yeah there are… but I don’t really mind that. I mean to me … bowl games are what college football is. Yeah it might draw a bit more Excitement if there was a big sweeping playoff … but that has never been what college football is about. It might work, just as bowl games work, but I for one don’t want things to change.

• :-o Wow. So any of you guys think Boise still deserves a shot at the title?

That’s one of the top three opponents on Boise’s schedule getting beat by a team from the lower division (like Appy State beating TSUN.)

• @frimmel:

:-o Wow. So any of you guys think Boise still deserves a shot at the title?

That’s one of the top three opponents on Boise’s schedule getting beat by a team from the lower division (like Appy State beating TSUN.)

You are obsessed with Boise. Nobody said anything about Boise but you. What some are saying is that a playoff system would be better than all the bowls picked by computers. Anything can happen on any given Saturday. Move to Boise if that will make you happy.

• :? The bowls aren’t picked by computers. Computer rankings are a component but not the entirety of the BCS formula. An average of computer rankings is taken and most of those typically incorporate some sort of human vote. The human voters have a very large say. I’d point to 2007 and LSU-OSU. The voters engineered the match-up they wanted. The non-BCS bowls typically have contracts with a couple of leagues to get their X place finisher.

• @frimmel:

:? The bowls aren’t picked by computers. Computer rankings are a component but not the entirety of the BCS formula. An average of computer rankings is taken and most of those typically incorporate some sort of human vote. The human voters have a very large say. I’d point to 2007 and LSU-OSU. The voters engineered the match-up they wanted. The non-BCS bowls typically have contracts with a couple of leagues to get their X place finisher.

Any vote can be bought so that is not a fair system to use for 2 teams to play for a national championship. Since there is a ranking of the top 25 then that should be used to set up the playoffs. When it is time for the playoff the 25th team would be eliminated then just like the professional league and college basketball, seeds would be established and teams would play. The 2 teams left standing would go to the national championship game. Seeds would be determined by records and schedules during the season. Every team would have to step it up, even Boise, if they want to play for the championship. This would eliminate the voting and computers picking who goes to what bowl game. Playoffs or a series like the CWS or March Madness all seem to work fine without having a lot of other little “bowl” games. What I don’t understand is why you are against the 2 best teams playing for the title like any other system does? It has nothing to do with the NFL. It is about making sure every team has a shot. If a team loses then they go home. Why is college football so special that it has to have something completely different than all other sports?

• @skinny1:

@frimmel:

:-o Wow. So any of you guys think Boise still deserves a shot at the title?

You are obsessed with Boise. Nobody said anything about Boise but you. What some are saying is that a playoff system would be better than all the bowls picked by computers. Anything can happen on any given Saturday. Move to Boise if that will make you happy.

I like Boise, the school is great for college football. …. and I hope they sit undeated at the end of the season with everyone else with one loss.

• In what playoff system do the two best teams always play for the title? Were the Giants really the best team when they beat the Patriots? Yes they were better than the Patriots – that day – but aside from that? Doesn’t seem fair that the Patriots had to beat the Giants twice but the Giants had to beat the Patriots only once to be champions.

I don’t want to see that in College Football where every game counts for everybody even one against a scrub FCS opponent like James Madison.

Look I understand your point which I take to be wanting things “settled on the field.” And I’m sure at some level it doesn’t look like college football settles things on the field. But in my book college football does settle things on the field. They just do it differently.

• What five teams look the best so far?

@ABWorsham:

What five teams look the best so far?

I haven’t watched enough to know about everyone… but one interesting surprise is Michigan. I think they look pretty solid right now.

• @frimmel:

Were the Giants really the best team when they beat the Patriots? Yes they were better than the Patriots – that day –

I had a couple celebration beers ready to go after that game that ended up with tears in them. Frimmel we are going to have to agree to disagree on the topic of a college football playoff. Neither one of us will convince the other. Is that fair?

• Bama, Iowa, OSU, Oregon, and Oklahoma

• OSU? They looked good, but pretty shoddy in the Miami game. Offense was pretty ineffective.

• '10

Has anyone seen the new quarterback of Michigan play yet? Have never seen anyone like him. Wonder if he can hold up for the entire season? Time will tell.

• @Fishmoto37:

Has anyone seen the new quarterback of Michigan play yet? Have never seen anyone like him. Wonder if he can hold up for the entire season? Time will tell.

Watched him last weekend. He was the fastest player on the field, he seperated from a cb in the open field.

• @reloader-1:

OSU? They looked good, but pretty shoddy in the Miami game. Offense was pretty ineffective.

Not so sure about ineffective. They had a 7+ minute drive in the 4th quarter to kill the clock and close it out taking a knee when they could have punched it in again. While 5 field goals could be ineffective after getting the score back to even they went ahead and stayed ahead. And while QB Harris had 4 pics they were not all on him or as much on him as folks would like to make out. Two were very much on the receiver and two were on the Buckeyes making plays.

@ABWorsham:

@Fishmoto37:

Watched him last weekend. He was the fastest player on the field, he seperated from a cb in the open field.

Denard Robinson for TSUN does look pretty good so far and he is doing things nobody has every done before but 57 carries in the first two games is a lot even for a big running back like a John Clay at Wisconsin. Robinson has missed snaps in both games so far getting dinged. I don’t see how he can last the season in one piece and he certainly won’t be able to keep up this pace. For more on TSUN’s game against the Domers.

While I can’t deny Robinson’s talent TSUN so far have been a one trick pony with Denard. He has been more or less their whole offense and as amazing as he was Notre Dame forced 10 punts so he is obviously stoppable. UCONN sort of caught up as the game went on if you compare first and second half stats. And we saw this at the start of last season with Forcier. Once they hit conference play they just got pounded.

Bama is the best team in the country but that’s what oversigning does for you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m