College Football is finally here.

• Time for some balance here :-)

Miami native, born and raised on Biscayne Bay, and proud alumni of the University of Miami.

It’s all about The U!

Go 'Canes!

Not to many people realize this - the much vaunted University of Miami is an absolutely tiny private school (around 9000 undergrad), and I can about throw a baseball from one end of our campus to the other.

That being said, we are rivals with monstrous public state schools and regularly wipe the floor with them. It’s fun being the little guy with the big stick!

• @skinny1:

@ABWorsham:

I like Pro Football more than College, but if a college playoff system was in place, college would be better than the NFL.

I agree completely.

And then college ball would just be NFL lite where everything is all about the post season. No thanks.

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Wilson2:

@ABWorsham:

@skinny1:

Go Big Red!!! Nebraska Cornhuskers.

The Big 12 will be a joke the next few years without Nebraska.

Nebraska? Who are they? I don’t think the Big 12 will be a joke as long as UT stays in. I am not a UT fan, but they are a good team. The only joke about it is that they only 10 now.  :lol:

Is UT University of Texas or Tennessee?

Generally University of Texas, I don’t think I’ve heard it used as University of Tennessee…

Speaking of Texas, Go Frogs! TCU is going to crush Mountain West this year, and Boise doesn’t stand a chance if we see them in a Bowl.

• @frimmel:

@skinny1:

@ABWorsham:

I like Pro Football more than College, but if a college playoff system was in place, college would be better than the NFL.

I agree completely.

And then college ball would just be NFL lite where everything is all about the post season. No thanks.

Isn’t it already? Before the season starts there is a ranking of the top 25. One thing that irritates me is when people say they like college football because the kids play for the love of the game and it’s not about money. Please. The college kids play hoping to get into the NFL to make money. Everything in sports is about money and a playoff system in college football would have the 2 best teams playing for the championship besides a computer program setting the bowl games. And speaking of college bowl games, having as many as there are is like giving all the little league teams a trophy just for playing. It just doesn’t make any sense. Ok, I am done ranting now.

• Plus, I hate the “top 25” preseason rankings because they mean a lot (in terms of final ranking) and suck butt.

Does anyone really think the Florida Gators are a top 10 team right now? Maybe in a couple weeks - but not Now!

• @reloader-1:

Plus, I hate the “top 25” preseason rankings because they mean a lot (in terms of final ranking) and suck butt.

Does anyone really think the Florida Gators are a top 10 team right now? Maybe in a couple weeks - but not Now!

The system is broken. The BCS needs to be done away with and a new system put in it’s place.

• @skinny1:

@reloader-1:

Plus, I hate the “top 25” preseason rankings because they mean a lot (in terms of final ranking) and suck butt.

The system is broken. The BCS needs to be done away with and a new system put in it’s place.

See the BCS is not broken any more than the National Champion has ever been. The Div. I-A Champion has always been ‘mythical.’ Before the BCS it was determined by a vote now it is at least “settled on the field” after a bunch of votes.

In the old bowl system number 1 could never have to play number 2 and could become National Champion. Then the BCS system came along and created a way in the old bowl structure for number 1 to play number 2 in one of the Big 4 bowl games (Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta.) Then they added another separate championship game which gave two additional teams a shot at one of the big money bowls.

And the BCS rankings which are the ones that count for the BCS don’t come out till October after conference play begins so while it is a factor it isn’t really important that Florida is ‘ranked to high.’

I don’t want to see this sort of thing in college ball.

• @Guerrilla:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Wilson2:

@ABWorsham:

@skinny1:

Go Big Red!!! Nebraska Cornhuskers.

The Big 12 will be a joke the next few years without Nebraska.

Nebraska? Who are they? I don’t think the Big 12 will be a joke as long as UT stays in. I am not a UT fan, but they are a good team. The only joke about it is that they only 10 now.  :lol:

Is UT University of Texas or Tennessee?

Generally University of Texas, I don’t think I’ve heard it used as University of Tennessee…

Speaking of Texas, Go Frogs! TCU is going to crush Mountain West this year, and Boise doesn’t stand a chance if we see them in a Bowl.

My impression from the TCU and Boise games weas that Boise would win the game between the two teams.

I don’t want to see them play again in a bowl. I see that as an easy exit for the BCS. THe BCS system does not want TCU or Boise as a national champion.

• TCU and Boise need to play the sort of schedule an SEC or Big Ten team does. Boise’s next toughest oppoenent is Oregon State a middle of the pack Pac-10 team in their ‘up’ years and then Fresno State.

Ohio State will play three or four Oregon States/Fresno States in Purdue, Illinois, TSUN and Minnesota who also play teams like New Mexico St and Toledo as warm-ups. They’ll play at least two teams at least as tough as Va. Tech out of Wisconsin, Iowa and Penn State plus an OOC game with Miami who is at least as good as Va. Tech.

A team like Ohio State gets blasted for scheduling ‘cupcake’ warm up games like Toledo and New Mexico State. But Boise is going to play an entire schedule of them and will deserve a shot at the title? Really?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@frimmel:

A team like Ohio State gets blasted for scheduling ‘cupcake’ warm up games like Toledo and New Mexico State. But Boise is going to play an entire schedule of them and will deserve a shot at the title? Really?

I totally agree. And I also agree that playoffs in College ball are a bad idea. It would become like NFL if that were the case. I love college football more than nearly anything, but I just would not want to see them playin through December and January, it just doesn’t seem right.

And so what if the majority of teams go to a bowl game? I think that the players and the coaches still know they have failed if they have not lived up to expectaions or done their best by getting into a more prestigious bowl. I really like the system as it is. Speaking of which, with Nebraska entering the Big Ten, I hear we are getting a Big Ten Championship game…. which is a terrible idea in my opinion. The Big Ten has never had one and I don’t think they should… it is a Big 12 - SEC thing that seems perfect for them, but not for us. Can you imagine an end of the season Michigan - Ohio State game in late November… and then the possibility that in certain years they may play again the following week for the Big Ten Chanmpionship? … No… to me it doesn’t seem right.

Frimmel has been good at bringing facts and figures to this argument, whereas I am simply speaking from the heart as someone who likes the way things are.

• @frimmel:

@skinny1:

@ABWorsham:

I agree completely.

Unlike the joke that it is now, with sometimes baffling decisions as to who gets to play where. :roll:

• @frimmel:

That is why a playoff system would work. Boise would not make it through the playoffs to get to the National Championship if all they played were cupcake teams and were not really good to begin with.

• @skinny1:

@frimmel:

That is why a playoff system would work. Boise would not make it through the playoffs to get to the National Championship if all they played were cupcake teams and were not really good to begin with.

So we should completely upend the entirety of college football turning it into NFL lite to learn something we already know?

A team who has played nothing but cupcakes for twelve weeks should then get to play a team that finished with say Penn State, Iowa, and Michigan in one game to determine who gets a continued shot at the National Championship? Does that really seem fair?

Besides we have a playoff already. Every week is a playoff game. Va. Tech lost on Monday and is more or less now on the outside looking in. What happens to the loser of OSU-Miami (FL) on Saturday? Done right? Loser of Notre Dame-Michigan? What happens to Boise if they lose to Oregon State? Or Bama if they lose to a true freshman QB making his first road start?

I don’t completely agree but he’s got a point. Is any NFL team going to play a game as big as Boise State-Va. Tech in its first week? How about as big as OSU-Miami in its second?

Playoffs, schmayoffs. The argument for playoffs in college football to me sort of sounds like arguing to put a wang on Jessica Biel because she isn’t attractive to gay dudes.

• Frimmel, what happens when two college teams have to share a national championship like Nebraska and Michigan did in the late 90s? Was that fair to either team? A playoff would have decided 1 national champion with the two best teams playing for the title. Maybe each conference can have 2 conference champions as well for fairness? Why even play? If a team only plays cupcakes and makes it to the playoffs and not good in the first place then that team will be weeded out during the process. What ever happened to the best teams going at it and deciding on the field who the champion is instead of a computer? College football is the only sport that I know of that does not have some sort of playoff system. Like I said before, just give all the players a trophy at the end of the season so nobody will have their feelings hurt and all will be a champ.

• I have the solution: have every conference have a championship game on a certain weekend that would serve as round one of a playoff. The winners move on.

• @ABWorsham:

I have the solution: have every conference have a championship game on a certain weekend that would serve as round one of a playoff. The winners move on.

Sounds good to me.

But why do we need a playoff system when the system we have now works very well.

99% of the time the two best teams do play for the National championship… and it continues down from there. Your regular season is your playoff. Cupcake games aside, one slip-up can be the end for a high ranked team. And there are still some teams which will play a conference championship game, so they will have to duke it out with a relative power.

It is my opinion that teams rarely have a Cupcake season… they may have games here and there, but most teams (who matter) still have genuine challenges to overcome. Boise St. for example has pretty easy season, Oregon may be their only challenge, yet they are ranked number 3. Ohio State almost never has a pushover season. The Big 10 may not have as many of the powerhouse teams as it used to but programs like Penn State and Iowa are not pushovers. Plus OSU typically plays one big out of conference game a year.

My point is that our current system works. Ideally, the best teams would play each other every year for the National Championship and the lower bowls every year, but that doesn’t always happen. Most of the time, however, the game s work out just fine.

The Bowl Championship Series is the hallmark of College ball. I for one don’t want to watch playoffs every year. I want the rankings to mean something and I want the experience of watching all the different level bowl games. If I wanted a playoff I’d watch NFL … which I don’t really get into.

• @LHoffman:

But why do we need a playoff system when the system we have now works very well.

When 2 teams share a championship the system does not work fine. College football is the only sport that doesn’t have a playoff system and the regular season is not a playoff time. We will have to agree to disagree on the topic.

@skinny1:

@LHoffman:

When 2 teams share a championship the system does not work fine. College football is the only sport that doesn’t have a playoff system and the regular season is not a playoff time. We will have to agree to disagree on the topic.

We will have to agree to disagree. But when else has this tie for the Title occurred? What were the circumstances? I do not see how this can even happen under today’s BCS system. Then again, I only know what I have absorbed through watching and listening.

• @LHoffman:

@skinny1:

@LHoffman:

We will have to agree to disagree. But when else has this tie for the Title occurred? What were the circumstances? I do not see how this can even happen under today’s BCS system. Then again, I only know what I have absorbed through watching and listening.

I do not know if it has happened since then but once was enough. If the BCS has fixed it then that is good. Another thing though a few years ago Nebraska got into the championship game through the backdoor and played Miami? in the Rose Bowl. That ended up being a yawn and could have been a much better game if Oregon would have been in Nebraska’s place. I live in Nebraska and watch the Huskers and it is the only college team that I watch, but that Rose Bowl game was embarrassing and if there was a playoff Nebraska probably would not have made it to that game. Another example is when Nebraska won 2 championships then missed a year and won again the 4th year. Two games in that 3rd season kept Nebraska from playing for the championship. One of the games was the conference championship. I know people will say NU was not a good team that year and should not have played for the title but if you look at the scores of the games that season NU rolled all over the teams before and after the loss to Arizona State then NU lost to Texas in the conference championship game. The 3 winning seasons are 1994, 1995, and 1997.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m