• Hi all.  I’m preparing for my first global game this weekend and I was wondering if putting an IC in Egypt was a good idea.  I am thinking that if the Allies do that then it would stop Italy from running amok in Africa and would free up the UK carrier fleet in sz 91 to go back and help stop sealion.  Has anyone tried this and if so what were the results.  I’m worried that by spending the IPC’s on an IC and then subsequent land units that I’ll be making a successful sealion more likely.  What are your thoughts?

• I think that Italy can take Egypt if you give them enough of an incentive to do so. Leaving all your units behind there is incentive enough, so building a minor IC would only make them more likely to go for it, which they will most likely succeed in doing UNLESS you are able to wipe out the battleship fleet with your carrier/destroy/cruiser, and if that happens you won’t really need an IC there anyway.

• @bennyboyg:

I think that Italy can take Egypt if you give them enough of an incentive to do so. Leaving all your units behind there is incentive enough, so building a minor IC would only make them more likely to go for it, which they will most likely succeed in doing UNLESS you are able to wipe out the battleship fleet with your carrier/destroy/cruiser, and if that happens you won’t really need an IC there anyway.

Mostly agree. This also depends a little bit on the German build on G1. If the UK is forced to respond to that, the Italians fleet will survive. In that case, I do believe however it’d be a good idea to build a minor IC in Egypt, unlike bennyboyg. At the very least you can keep the Italians at bay longer and bring up reinforcements from South-Africa (possibly using transports as well).

• Might be worth it, might not. Just finished a global game and the UK player was planning to build a minor IC in Egypt, but never quite got around to it before Italy amphibiously assaulted, with support from land, then set up an IC of its own. From that point on, Africa became a battleground between Egypt and South Africa.

As others have said, the worth of a UK IC in Egypt depends on what others are doing. Build it early, if at all, so you have time to put it to use before being run over.

• I think Persia might be a better place to build one. Can be protected by the Russians and used both against Japan and Italy

• Persia is safer. Sometimes on round one i am building so many land units in england they have no money left for anything even in south africa.

Let us know how your game goes

• You are buying a minor IC for Italy if you dont dismantle the Italian navy first. The key to africa for UK is to stop Italy from putting any transports in the Med. Try to get fighters and tac bombers to Malta via Gibralter. Use bombers to transport troops to Malta to reinforce from Italy amphibious assault. Use bombers to bounce between N Africa and Med to add punch to attacks. Try this and let us know how it goes. :-)

• It would be difficult to build a factory because UK needs all of its Europe income to defend the homeland on the first round.

I would only consider building a minor in Egypt if the German air force was decimated during its naval attacks on G1 and Sea Lion odds are low.

• @jeffdestroyer:

It would be difficult to build a factory because UK needs all of its Europe income to defend the homeland on the first round.

I would only consider building a minor in Egypt if the German air force was decimated during its naval attacks on G1 and Sea Lion odds are low.

Good point jeffdestroyer. Also think about it, if you attack the Italian navy before it can land troops in N Africa or at least disrupt and slowdown the influx of Italian troops into NAfrica your winning becouse UK starts with a great % of africas IPCs. UK still has a minor IC in S Africa and another in India which isnt far if you use transports. As a matter of fact if you can spend the money, 2 transports in India would be a better buy than a Minor IC in Eygpt,IMO

• I agree that an English IC in Egypt is to risky early in the game (even if you take out the Italian fleet in sz 95). When the dust clears from naval battles, Italy is still normally the only power in the Med w/ships (until US can get there turn 4-5). As noted above Germany normally does some kind of naval build to at least threaten Sea lion. You may have to use all your income to protect England, and will have a hard time even building units for the S African IC early in games. What you do as UK is really in reaction to what Germany does. The axis already has several English IC targets, why give them another one (the more you build the more you have to protect). You ever hear the term “Build it and they will come” (it doesn’t only work for Field Of Dreams). Besides I think UK has enough IC’s on the board at start, learn how to use what is given to you. UK is all about navy/air and transports.

• Thanks for all your responses.  You’ve given me some food for thought.  It seems that building transports to ferry land units around the board is a better buy unless Germany screws up G1.  Even then an IC in Egypt might be unnecessary.  From studying the board to it looks like if they are well used the start up units in Alexandria/Egypt should be able to hold for a round or maybe 2 if used right.

• a S. Africa naval base with TR’s would make new units very mobile around Africa. 
    They could strike anywhere up the East Coast of Africa.

• Just make sure you hold onto the UK above everything else.  If the German player is serious about Sealion with naval/transport buys, build all infantry in England for the G3 attempt.  You should give him a black eye.  Make sure America is buying stuff to help out in Europe if Germany is buying for Sealion as well.

If Germany isn’t threatening the UK, kill subs to stop convoy losses and have fun adventures against the Italians in Africa.

• If you are safe enough in holding the UK itself

UK 1
    Move 1 FGT to Gibraltar
    Move all units but 1 INF from alexandira back to egypt
    Move the Egypt ART to Anglo Egyptian Sudan
    Move SZ 98 Transport to 81, leave the cruiser
    Move SZ 71 Destroyer to SZ 81

Build a Minor at Egypt and a transport at South Africa

UK 2
    Attack Kenya if possible with 1 INF 1 ART 1 FGT
    Move 2 INF from South Africa to Egypt
    Move Fighter from Gibraltar to Egypt
    Move 81 Transport to 71

Build 3 INF ant Egypt and INF ART at South Africa

Egypt stands with 7-8 INF 1 ART 1 TNK 2 FGT as of Italy 2
    and it only gets bigger from here on out
    Build

• My View on building new Allied factories, anywhere is basically this: See what the Axis focus on.  After reading some people’s opening moves with the Axis it would seem that let the axis do their thing and then size up the situation.

It boils down to this:

The Axis have the initiative.

See what happens, dont plan out U.K. first move until they go.  I mean, building factories is a legit strategy, but wheather it goes in Egypt, Western India or where is really up to the axis.

Personally in all the other editions I have played (my first gam of global is Sept 5.10) Egypt is a great place provided the axis can’t take it over.

One game of Anniversary I played I jump the gun, built a factory in India UK T1 and guess what happend, It was Japans on their next turn.

Anyway, that’s my two cents.

• Great summation Daedelus

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m