• Convince me. I liked Revised. AA50 gave me that little bit of extra dimension that I wanted without going overboard with too many units and rules to follow. Global40 seems almost as if there is too much complications(rules). I don’t particularly love the “if a fighter is matched up with a tank…blah blah blah”. Look I know I can easily learn the rules but every time a new “global” game comes out a little more is added to the game. The last thing I want is for it to turn into one of those Avalon hill games with a paper map and paper counters with tons of charts and shit. Those games sucked.

So could someone just give me a summary of the differences between AA50 and G40? Convoy zones etc…
    Or should I just say F it and just spend the $120?

• Well, I haven’t played yet, but it has been sitting in my War Room, set up for 4 days now.  It’s very impressive.  I’m looking forward to my first game on Sunday, provided the Hurricane doesn’t hit us.

Anyway, look at my previous post:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=20093.0

• I hear you dude.  I will eventually figure out most of the rules, but I only get to play with my cousins and brothers.  They don’t own the game so I need to explain the rules to them.  They just started getting the Anniversary rules, AAG40 will blow their minds.  I’m still trying to wrap my head around some of the rules and faqs.

• If nothing else, get it to stare at the cool new pieces and colors. If Revised is the last edition you have, WotC has much a huge leap in piece quality since then.

• If you have to buy one then get AAE40. This game is fascinating. really. Its not historical, but its not broken either.

Worth every cent paid for 6 copies.

You need to buy two of them and use the new pieces for AA50!!!

It will make it better as well as aa42.

You cant go wrong!

• I do love your style Imp of buying many copies!  I would love to do that if I could sneak it past the wife! haha.  I think I’ll be able to snag my AAE40 copy for Christmas.

• Honestly if your in it for a beer and pretzels game, stick with 42 and print a huge ass version of IL’s map with the money.

If you want a little more depth, without going overboard, get it.  Yes its a bit more complex but nothing major.  All the rules are very simple and common sense once you get used to them, the only pair up is with the new tac bomber and mech inf and they are pretty easy to remember.

Even the NOs are easier than in AA50, there are no two out of threes or anything that require you to remember more than one thing or territory.

And I’m sure someone hint hint will come up with a '41 and '42 setup to shorten the length of the game and remove the political rule crap.

• 1940 is by far the most awesome (official) A&A game made to date, and I will spend many, many, many hours playing it (mostly online).

I bought Europe and Pacific 1940 because I’m such a big fan of A&A, but I really won’t get to play them with people much.  I’ll pick an online game and follow the moves on my board with it, just for fun, and a different way to look at it.

So:

I would actually advise against buying it.  You’re never going to have enough time to finish a game face to face, unless you’ve got like 20-40 hours to play.  If you want to play Global 1940, the best A&A game by far, just play it online.  For free.  On this site.

1940 is the perfect game for playing online.  It can take up to a couple of hours to make one move (if you’re playing to win) at times.  As long as it takes to play the game face to face, the cat or the kid or the wife or somebody is gonna knock it, and that will be a problem.

So unless money grows on trees at your house, or you’re a tremendous fan, or like IL says, if you can afford $60 just to get extra and awesome pieces, then go for it.  But if you’re hesitant, like you obviously are, I would advise that you at least wait.

• Customizer

I’m in a similar situation, only have a chance to actually play once every few months - and my folks are still absorbed with AA50th, and we barely have the time to finish one of those sessions. But I’m going to have to buy it, because I love A&A and of course… the minis.  :-D

• @Flying:

Convince me. I liked Revised. AA50 gave me that little bit of extra dimension that I wanted without going overboard with too many units and rules to follow. Global40 seems almost as if there is too much complications(rules). I don’t particularly love the “if a fighter is matched up with a tank…blah blah blah”. Look I know I can easily learn the rules but every time a new “global” game comes out a little more is added to the game. The last thing I want is for it to turn into one of those Avalon hill games with a paper map and paper counters with tons of charts and sh*t. Those games sucked.

So could someone just give me a summary of the differences between AA50 and G40? Convoy zones etc…

I have been trying to write the rule changes from AA50 on a single page for my friends.  I think it can be done.  I am sure someone is working on it.  There are a lot of one line answers to most questions.

• Tiger - Time is the question here….if you only have so much time, stick with AA42 or AA50.  If you have a place to setup the game and leave it, so you can play the game over a couple of different sessions, I HIGHLY recommend AAG40.  The first couple of times you play it can be daunting, but the strategies are so much more varied and the board/pcs are fantastic!  I think Imperious Leader has the right idea, (except for the buying 6 copies part…) buy AAE40 to get used to it, and make your decision from that point…

Have fun!

• @jeffdestroyer:

@Flying:

Convince me. I liked Revised. AA50 gave me that little bit of extra dimension that I wanted without going overboard with too many units and rules to follow. Global40 seems almost as if there is too much complications(rules). I don’t particularly love the “if a fighter is matched up with a tank…blah blah blah”. Look I know I can easily learn the rules but every time a new “global” game comes out a little more is added to the game. The last thing I want is for it to turn into one of those Avalon hill games with a paper map and paper counters with tons of charts and sh*t. Those games sucked.

I have been trying to write the rule changes from AA50 on a single page for my friends.  I think it can be done.  I am sure someone is working on it.  There are a lot of one line answers to most questions.

I created a one pager for my playgroup. Currently pending review at BGG…

• @Flying:

Spend the 120 someplace else

• Stop being so cheap, just buy the game, I tell you, spend the extra money and get what you really want.

• @Razor:

Stop being so cheap, just buy the game, I tell you, spend the extra money and get what you really want.
    @Plasticdeathbydice:

Tiger - Time is the question here….if you only have so much time, stick with AA42 or AA50.  If you have a place to setup the game and leave it, so you can play the game over a couple of different sessions, I HIGHLY recommend AAG40.  The first couple of times you play it can be daunting, but the strategies are so much more varied and the board/pcs are fantastic!  I think Imperious Leader has the right idea, (except for the buying 6 copies part…) buy AAE40 to get used to it, and make your decision from that point…

Have fun!

What they said!!!
    by the way ,IL, why do you need 6 copies of this game

• why do you need 6 copies of this game

I have 6 cats.

• Just play a few PBF games online with AABattlemap and convince yourself its worth the purchase.  (I can’t really play the game in RL myself, it just takes too damn long to actually sit down and play over a FEW DAYS TO A WEEK TO FINISH A GAME.)

• How’s this to convince you:

IT’S WORTH EVERY PENNY! GET PACIFIC AND EUROPE!

On a more serious note: the additional rules are nothing to gawk at. I have several friends who play it avidly and have ADD, and become hooked for hours.

• Players with ADD? WOW, that must be an experience :roll:
    I had a friend who sounded really interested in playing so I had him over one night for a game. he is reasonably intellegent but could not grasp the game. Was trying to move the wrong pieces and whatnot. At one point I was like, “dude, what are you doing!?” turns out he said he was COLOR BLIND and would that make a difference!!! :-o

• one bad thing is it takes up a lot of room.  a LOT of room.  but if you like aa50, this is great.  a little deeper, a little more rules, but a lot of fun.  and it does take a long time to finish.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m