• Bump.

• Hello,

Experienced A&A player… but new at all this PBEM stuf. I would love to join and play.
    I’ve try to catch up posts here so I don’t repeat same questions. I’ve downloaded Battle map 0.8+ and G40 1.02 file. So I think I have it all.

Question : Map is truncated, I can’t see eastern of Korea, so basically I can’t see all Pacific. What did I do wrong?

Thank you.

• @BigBadBruce:

Hello,

Experienced A&A player… but new at all this PBEM stuf. I would love to join and play.
    I’ve try to catch up posts here so I don’t repeat same questions. I’ve downloaded Battle map 0.8+ and G40 1.02 file. So I think I have it all.

Question : Map is truncated, I can’t see eastern of Korea, so basically I can’t see all Pacific. What did I do wrong?

Thank you.

Try right clicking and moving the mouse to the right.

• Ok, thanks… does work…  :oops:

With my laptop pad, I couldn’t drag the map at first as I’m not use to use right button to drag and move left to drag right (move up to drag down).

Looking forward a game now… thanks.

• How do you get the alpha plus setup to work? I made a new file naming it G40A.gim copied everything from the G40 folder then replaced the orginial start with the new one and renamed it Start.AAM but it has an error when I bring it up.

• You cannot name the folder with more than 3 letters. Rename your new folder to G4A.gim instead

But the best option is simply redo start.aam file with the save option (otherwise, there will be compatibility issues)

• Is there a way to delete all the units on the map and start over? Because once again it did not work with the renamed folder?

• Delete ‘start.aam’ file, and then start a new game. Deploy the units and save as ‘start.aam’

• @basebalp21:

Is there a way to delete all the units on the map and start over? Because once again it did not work with the renamed folder?

Func’s response answers your question directly (and it is accurate), but the reason it did not work is because each .AAM file will only open with the module that has the same-named .GIM directory as the one that was used to create the .AAM.  In other words, the name of your module’s directory is tied to each save file you create using your module.  The reason for this (presumably) is so that you can open any saved-game file from the file dialog window (File > Open) and it will open in the correct module, regardless of what module is open at the time.  Does that make sense?

For more info, see my tutorial.  I’m pretty sure I wrote about this somewhere in there (best bet is to check the section on Start.AAM, or just do a search in the PDF).

• 2007 AAR League

Great Job!  I have a question.  What is the stuff in the 5th box from the left, Auto Convoy, USSR-Jap NAT, ACME Wall, ect…

Also, any plans to update the graphics on the Western map to include Victory Cities, Capitals, Territory names and SZ#'s like the Pacific map?

• G40 map is really nice Funcioneta, if you need help for remaining esthetics aspects, let me know.

• @Emperor:

Also, any plans to update the graphics on the Western map to include Victory Cities, Capitals, Territory names and SZ#'s like the Pacific map?

@BigBadBruce:

G40 map is really nice Funcioneta, if you need help for remaining esthetics aspects, let me know.

My circumstances now appear to be such that I may be able to resume work on my map within 2-3 months (for what it’s worth).

• Ooups… :oops:… sorry, I assumed it was Funcioneta’s work on the map. In any case, if I may help in any way, so I can also contribute for what I find excellent tool to reach distant players, just let me know.

I still prefer RL game with the board, but play by forum is nice to reach players from different region.

• @BigBadBruce:

Ooups… :oops:… sorry, I assumed it was Funcioneta’s work on the map. In any case, if I may help in any way, so I can also contribute for what I find excellent tool to reach distant players, just let me know.

I still prefer RL game with the board, but play by forum is nice to reach players from different region.

Yes, and you can play one turn at a time - you don’t have to have chunks of time for several hours at the same time as your friend!  Also nice to have a written record of everything, and copies of the map at each stage of the game.

Thanks for volunteering to help, Bruce.  And Stoney, anything you are able to do at any time will be much appreciated.

• is there a possibility to export the maps into a .jpg file or so?

• @BigBadBruce:

Ooups… :oops:… sorry, I assumed it was Funcioneta’s work on the map. In any case, if I may help in any way, so I can also contribute for what I find excellent tool to reach distant players, just let me know.

Yes, it is Func who is developing this module.  I had originally started on it, but then got busy so Func took over and made a provisional one until I could finish mine, since he was not really interested in spending time on the graphics (the pacific side of the board comes from my P40 module and much of the toolbar was work I had done before the Europe game came out/before I became busy).
    @rock`n:

is there a possibility to export the maps into a .jpg file or so?

If you are looking for an image file of the map, you will find it in the module’s .gim folder - called Map.bmp.  You you pretty much any image editting program to save the BMP as a JPG, but I’m pretty sure currently ABattlemap does not support using JPGs for maps (a feature I have recommended, since it will greatly reduce the bloated size of the ABattlemap program folder if all maps were JPGss instead of BMPs, but I’m not a programmer and don’t know how complicated that would be - I know even Microsoft Access does not even support other image file types as fully as bitmaps).

• Sure I’ll help. I guess I can do some image editing to get a full map as nice as the Pacific side. If anything else, let me know. I just don’t know what else is needed.

I also have unsolved problem.
    I want to play by forum (I am actually), it goes well with the first player I started a game with… but with 2 other players (2 different games) they can’t load my map and I can’t load theirs. The game crashes.

Besides the Abattlemap software version (I have 0.80 alpha1 - talking software version, not game set up, might get confusing!), what else should I look for? I asked the other player (Gargantua) to give me the link he used and he pointed me here… which is also where I found and use the download link.

Bottom line, I don’t know what to do. Anyone knows? I would like to find what’s the problem, since I love join the league. But since I can’t play with 2 out of 3 players… well… sure you get my point.

Thank you.

• @BigBadBruce:

Sure I’ll help. I guess I can do some image editing to get a full map as nice as the Pacific side. If anything else, let me know. I just don’t know what else is needed.

Are you an experienced graphic artist?  The module I had been working on for G40 and E40 I’m hoping is going to look quite a bit better than my pacific map.  If you are just wanting to try your hand at it, you are welcome to, but if you want to just wait for me to finish mine and see what I come up with you can do that too.  If you are an experienced graphic artist, perhaps we should be turning to you to design the maps, but personally I’m curious to see how mine will turn out since I’m just trying out an idea.

You should be able to find all the information you need to know to work on module elements in my tutorial.  There is a section on Map.bmp - the map file, but basically all you need to know is that the territories on the map should match up (location-wise) exactly (pixel-for-pixel) with the territory designations in the existing SectorInfo.bmp.  If you need to change SectorInfo.bmp, you can do that, but then you will also need to update SectorInfo.map and potentially SectorInfo.txt/SectorInfo.sek (if you add sectors, etc.).  Again, everything you would need to know here is in the tutorial.

@BigBadBruce:

I also have unsolved problem.
    I want to play by forum (I am actually), it goes well with the first player I started a game with… but with 2 other players (2 different games) they can’t load my map and I can’t load theirs. The game crashes.

Besides the Abattlemap software version (I have 0.80 alpha1 - talking software version, not game set up, might get confusing!), what else should I look for? I asked the other player (Gargantua) to give me the link he used and he pointed me here… which is also where I found and use the download link.

Bottom line, I don’t know what to do. Anyone knows? I would like to find what’s the problem, since I love join the league. But since I can’t play with 2 out of 3 players… well… sure you get my point.

Thank you.

There were actually 2 versions of ABattlemap released with the version label “0.80 alpha1”.  You should make sure you and your partners have the latest version, which came originally only packaged with Attila’s P40 module on Flames of Europe.  It is now also available with HolKann’s ABattlemap Installer and here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/djkingzm3in/ABattleMapv0_80+.zip  If you use the second: as long as you installed ABattlemap first with version 0.79f, then you can simply replace your old ABattlemap.exe file with the new one.

However, I don’t suspect that the program version is the most likely cause of the problem.  You need to make sure that you and your partners are using the same (preferrably most recent) version of Func’s module (note that you cannot change the name of the .GIM folder from what Func assigned to it).  While I have not worked with ABattlemap in a long time and have not used Func’s module, this would be my guess based on what I can remember from my experience with ABattlemap.  You should, of course, also make sure you are using the same initial setup, but even if you aren’t that should keep you from opening the other person’s save files.  Have all three of your partners read this post, and see let me know if you still after trouble after all four of you follow these guidelines: include information on anything you discovered regarding the versions used by you and your partners and/or whether or not anyone had changed the name of their .GIM module folder.

• @Stoney229:

@gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Okay, when I now move the cursor over Shan State, it has the correct name and abbreviation, but the abbreviation on the map itself is wrong. i suppose it’s impossible to change the map itself?

Right - you can’t do that with the editor, I don’t think.  If you knew how to change what’s on the map, or how to permanently add an airbase, I think you’d know enough to create your own battlemap.  And if you know that much, you need to finish the Global module for us.

The abbreviation on the map is simply part of the image itself (Map.bmp) - very easy to change with an image editor.  I’ve attached a small bitmap that you can copy and paste over the Shm abbreviation.  And ALL this info should be easy to find in my tutorial  :wink: .

• I’m too busy now with exams. But when I end them (mid February) I’ll make a clean map. That will include just plain colours and the VCs (like Revised map), but it’s very easy changing the *.map file at pleasure without compatibility issues. Just ensure that the territory borders are the same and there is not problem. I can include other people’s maps in the module as alternative for those that want prettier graphics (or if you want, say, the Dutch as pink or green goblin for that matters  :-) )

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m