• @Viracocha:

Ah! found the missing RAF! I have some bomber aces in there…

Please, PLEASE tell me that the Ace of Diamonds is a decal, and not painted on.

I’ve painted my share of minis (Warhammer) and that is some impressive work, given the scale.

Gratz

• Customizer

@coorran:

@Viracocha:

Ah! found the missing RAF! I have some bomber aces in there…

Please, PLEASE tell me that the Ace of Diamonds is a decal, and not painted on.

I’ve painted my share of minis (Warhammer) and that is some impressive work, given the scale.

Gratz

Why no… I painted that on. Eh eh eh - just kidd’in.  No - it’s a decal.

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Love your work, wish my hands were a bit more steady. I’ve used a paint wash, but hadn’t heard about an ink wash.

• Customizer

Thanks Dangermouse!  As to the shakes when detailing - helps if you use a magnifier for some parts, and position your hands so they’re supported (by each other or elbows planted).  Yeah… I too use a paint wash often but not very familiar with an ink wash.

• TripleA '12

Hey Viracocha,

Love your work, mate, fantastic stuff - really inspiring. I was wondering… how are the Germans coming along? I would love to see those if you’ve finished 'em.

• Customizer

@Lozmoid:

Hey Viracocha,

Love your work, mate, fantastic stuff - really inspiring. I was wondering… how are the Germans coming along? I would love to see those if you’ve finished 'em.

Thanks Lozmoid!  My krauts?  They snuck right past your defenses already, eh eh eh - they’re on pages 1 & 2 I believe.

• @Spitfire38:

Hey guys- stumbled upon this topic, and WOW, I am impressed!

I am also painting my pieces and had a few questions for Viracocha…sorry if it’s too much; I’m like a kid in a candy shop!

1. What did you coat the finished products with? A liquid wash, a spray enamel, a paint on coating?

2. How did you make such amazing bases (rock,sand,grass)? That is SO cool.

3. Do you use a preparatory wash or something before you paint the pieces?

4. How do you do the really intricate details on the infantry? (insignia,etc. Especially on the SS)

5. And lastly (sorry if this is a lot), would you mind giving me an estimate of how much all of this costs you? Excluding the paint and the pieces.

Thank you so much for these great examples and exquisite work! Great job  :-D

Hey, I didn’t see the answers to these questions posted. I am very interested in painting my Global set and I would much appreciate the insights.

Thanks!

Amazing job by the way, the best I’ve seen online.

• Customizer

Heyo Rammstein….

Huh, that’s strange, could have sworn I answered your post and the previous.  Ah well.

1. A clear spray coat.  Not gloss or dull (though I have seen some pretty snazzy glossed minis, it’s a personal choice).

2.  Terrain material for the smallest scale of train modeling and/or miniatures gaming material.

3.  After the initial cleaning of the figs I give them an undercoat, the color depends on what will be the main colors used.

4.  First off, I use a magnifier with a round light around it  :wink: Some of the small details you’re talking about are decals, while others are done with a brush, and there’s some combos decal/brush work.

5. Sorry but my answer to this one is lame.  I don’t really know… I did this project over a very long period of time and have access to many ‘bits’ of other games.  Really depends on what you want your finished product to look like…  :|

• Customizer

Hello again “V”,

Do you have any more pics of your units to share with us. New ones, re-runs, whatever. I appreciate your well-done paint jobs and really enjoy your wit. I’m simultaneously impressed, entertained, and informed. Keep up the good work, my friend.

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

Heyo Paul,

I’ll look around… I think I have some A&A pics I never posted, I’ll slap 'em on here.  Been painting other figs more recently (when I actually have time :|).  You have any pics of your cool minis during a game?  I think it would be cool to see them ‘in action!’.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m