• In any of your games, has Malta been a significant factor?

• Just an hour ago we finished a global game. Allies won, even though the Axis had the dice on their side. We had the new set up from Canuck/Larry.

In it Malta wasn’t really critical, but significant nonetheless. The UK landed a FTR there on UK3. The Italian navy was king in the med sea, but with that move on Malta Italy had to alter their plans. That fighter had to be destroyed because of its central location and ability to kill trannies, DD’s of maybe a CL. Italy ‘lost’ a turn because it had to invade Malta (with 1 inf, 1 art, 1 tr and 1 BB>SB). I needed that force to invade Egypt, which got postponed an entire turn.

• @Tavenier:

Just an hour ago we finished a global game. Allies won, even though the Axis had the dice on their side. We had the new set up from Canuck/Larry.

In it Malta wasn’t really critical, but significant nonetheless. The UK landed a FTR there on UK3. The Italian navy was king in the med sea, but with that move on Malta Italy had to alter their plans. That fighter had to be destroyed because of its central location and ability to kill trannies, DD’s of maybe a CL. Italy ‘lost’ a turn because it had to invade Malta (with 1 inf, 1 art, 1 tr and 1 BB>SB). I needed that force to invade Egypt, which got postponed an entire turn.

Exactly how Malta should playout. Italy had to distract itself from N africa for 1 turn or deal with that annoying “mesquito” fighter sinking transports in hit and runs. Also if UK had time to renforce Malta with infantry tranported by bombers, UK could maybe hold on and the bombers could wreck havic in N africa and the MED

• @lnmajor:

@Tavenier:

Just an hour ago we finished a global game. Allies won, even though the Axis had the dice on their side. We had the new set up from Canuck/Larry.

Exactly how Malta should playout. Italy had to distract itself from N africa for 1 turn or deal with that annoying “mesquito” fighter sinking transports in hit and runs. Also if UK had time to renforce Malta with infantry tranported by bombers, UK could maybe hold on and the bombers could wreck havic in N africa and the MED

Were you two playing each other?

• No ,
    i was just making a general statment. i have used this strategy in the past with a fairly high degree of success. i had it used on me in a game years ago and learned. it was a bitch.

• No :-)

Unless he was 1 years old when he started playing A&A.
    (his info states 25 years of A&A exp, while the guy played against is 26 years old).

• :-DLOL

• 1FTR by itself on Malta should not be a reason to divert a planned attack on Egypt so long as Italy has surface combat ships to protect its TRS(s).  I think there are other places more effective for the UK to put that FTR.  That 1 FTR is 1/3 or more of UK production.  I dont think Malta is that useful.  What would make it more useful is if no AB could be built on Sardinia or Sicily…making Malta important for fleet defense.

• The UK used it once to send there airforce to move into the Middle East after Italian victory over North Africa. Even though the British loss in Africa, the Allies recovered with the US liberation of Africa. Russia liberation of China and UK Pacific.

• What’s your avatar about?…I cant really see it.

• @miamibeach:

What’s your avatar about?…I cant really see it.

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/balkanus1.gif

• Thanks!  Cool site!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m