Global 1940 Cold War goes Hot Scenario

• you should add warsaw pact,bulgaria,romania,poland,east germany,hungary,czecholovakia,this will add a buffer zone between the soviets and nato

• Factions should be

USSR
    Communist China (German pieces for simplicity)
    Pro-Communist Neutrals (Such as yugoslavia & Cuba) Perhaps Italian pieces

vs

NATO (UK Pieces for Simplicity)
    SEATO (South East Asian Treaty Orginization) Australia, New Zeland, Thailand (siam 7 Shan State) And Phillipines, Including Japan, with no factory
    United States
    Pro-NATO/SEATO Neutrals (Such as Spain, as of 1955) French Units

• Some interesting ideas here.

Personally, I’d prefer to set the scenario prior to Stalin’s death, because I think a Third World War loses some of its “whimsy” if Uncle Joe isn’t in charge. Maybe “Korean War goes global” is the best time line for this? Start the game with Communist China’s turn assaulting the US in Korea? Setting it then would predate SEATO/WARSAW PACT, however.

The 46 start was based in part on operation unthinkable, which I think would make an awesome game in general.

If the scenario starts after decolonization you’ll have the problem of how to classify countries like Indonesia or India. Tito was one of the leaders of the non aligned movement, so Yugoslavia wouldn’t be pro Soviet after 1948 or so.

If you set it during the Cuban missile crisis wouldn’t the whole of the civilized world be essentially destroyed after the first few hours of the outbreak of hostilities?

Re: nukes I think they should do a ton of strategic damage and the amount of damage they can do should exceed the normal limit of 20 levels of damage (for Major factories anyway). Maybe an Abomb does 4 or so dice of strat damage and the H bomb does like 10? Maybe even include the Tsar bomb?

Maybe a third tier of techs should be added that require the completion of all original techs? these are my thoughts on those.

Once you have developed all of the original techs its assumed that you have developed the A bomb. Atomic bombs cost 20 ipcs apiece. You may stockpile as many as you want but they cost 2ipcs/turn/bomb in upkeep. Abombs do 4d6 in strategic damaged when launched from an icbm or a bomber.

Tier 3 Techs
    1 - Hydrogen Bombs - Hydrogen bombs may now be built. They cost 25 ipcs and do 10d6 of strategic damage. You may stockpile as many Hydrogen bombs as you like but they cost 5 ipcs/turn/hbomb in upkeep.
    2 - Armoured personnel carrier - Mechanized infantry attack and defend at a 3 when paired with tanks. They also have a move of 3 when paired with a tank (provided you have developed main battle tanks).
    3 - Main Battle tanks - tanks attack and defend at a 4 and have a move of 3.
    4 - Nuclear Powered Naval Vessels - all naval vessels have a move of 3.
    5 -intercontinental ballistic missiles - anti aircraft guns may make one icbm attack on an enemy industrial complex per turn. The range for this attack is 10 territories. Your icbm attacks may use atomic weapons if you also have the hydrogen bomb tech.
    6 - Super Sonic Aircraft - all aircraft have their move increased by + 1 per turn (stacks with long range aircraft)

Additionally if we set this after/during de-colonization then maybe you could try to influence countries to your allignment? You spend 5 ipcs per influence dice and, if you get a six you move a country 1 space towards you? So the USSR could turn a pro allied neutral into a neutral with a success and into a pro soviet neutral on a subsequent turn (assuming they got at least 1 sucess each turn).

You can’t enter neutral countries until war breaks out so there is a chance of using some influence/coups to ruin things for a rival in the third world before war erupts.

What do you all think of these ideas?

• Will you include Vietnam in any way.

• nice, cant wait for this

• how about a negative effect to useing nukes,like all the nutrals will turn against the first power to use them,this way you will have to be desprate to use them,and you can set the game in 1979,the soviet invasion of afganastan,you can include the star wars defence platform as a tech,so we will have a chance of shoting down nukes,and the start date will concide with usa involvement in south america,just an idea,i will work on it when my europe game gets here(monday i hope),any ideas are wellcome

• For this game you will need a totally revised tech system.

• Only bombers should deliver nukes
    1955 timeframe

Keep it simple

Keep the same techs, just give most of them to some powers.

• set up is sweet but you have too many tanks and artillery and not enough plastic sculpts. otherwise its fantastic

• I would recommend 49-52 as you can have ussr and usa with the abomb and keep the hbomb back as a tech roll.

other techs I would recommend are icbms and  early warning  radar.

Cuban missile crisi i would reject based on the info from the site below: u.s. 24k warhead ussr 4.2k. Little too lopsided.

Otherwise I would go modern when both Russ and US have under 3000 active warheads again

• I’m working on a mid 1960s scenario. There would be several playable neutral powers, so diplomacy would play a larger role.

The playable countries:
    1 USA
    2 NATO
    3 USSR & minor allies
    4 Warsaw Pact
    5 SEATO
    6 South Africa
    7 Nonaligned Movement
    8 People’s Republic of China
    9 Organization of American States

Allied Powers: USA, NATO, Seato
    Communist Powers: USSR, Warsaw Pact
    Neutral Powers: South Africa, Nonaligned Movement, PRC, organization of American States

The starting Territories would look something like this:

USSR - Normal USSR territories + Dzavhan, Ulaanbaatar, Olgiy, Tsagaan Olom, Central Mongolua, Buyant-Uhaa, West indies, French indochina

Warsaw Pact - Bulgaria, Albania, Romania, Slovakia Hungary, Poland, Germany, Greater Southern Germany

organization of American States: all south American territories that do not have french, Dutch, or English roundels on them + Southeast Mexico and Mexico

USA - all US territories that are not mentioned as belonging to someone else + all Japanese territories that are not mentioned specifically as a part of a different power + transjordan

NATO - Holland Belgium, Denmark, France, Normandy Bordeaux, Southern france, Sardinia, Iceland, Greenland,  
    Northern Italy, Southern italy, Norway, Portugal, United Kingdom, Scotland, Greece, crete, Malta, Turkey,
    West Germany, all Canadian territories, British Guiana, Suriname, French Guiana, Gibralter, Angola, Mozambique, french and British islands in the Pacific (that aren’t mentioned as belonging to another faction)

South Africa- Rhodesia, South West Africa, and Union of South Africa

PRC - all territories marked by Chinese roundels plus Hainan island

SEATO- Starting Anzac Territories + Siam, Philippines, Formosa, Korea, Japan, iwo Jima

Non Alligned Movement- Afghanistan, Burma, Shan State,Ceylon, Cyprus,Egypt, Alexandria,Ethiopia,
    India, West India, Sumatra, Java, Borneo, Celebes, Dutch New Guinea,Northwest Perisa, Persia, Eastern Persia,
    Iraq,Liberia,Libya, Tobruk,Saudi Arabia, Syria, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, Yugoslavia, Algeria, Belgian Congo,Gold Coast, French West Africa, Morocco, Italian Somaliland, British Somalialand, Tunisia

Neutrals- Madagascar, Nigeria, French central Africa, Kenya, Tanganyika, Spain, Sierra Leon, Malaya, finland, Sweden, Eire

Korea, French Indochina, and Germany would have communist and allied forces coexisting in them at the start. If French indochina or Korea are conquered by allied powers then they go to SEATO. All European territories conquered by the allies go to NATO and all European territories conquered by the communists go to the warsaw pact (by European I mean literally in Europe, not all territories on the European map- if the Soviets conquer Persia then they get to keep it).

DIPLOMACY
    Neutrals would have NOs that would encourage them to go to war with either side. IE China would get NOs for owning Formossa (Taiwan) as well as (USSR owned) Mongolia. Non aligned movement would get NOs for owning transjordan (ie, conquering Israel) but also for owning Albania and Bulgaria (Titos dream of a Greater Yugoslavia). Organization of American states would have NOs for taking both Cuba and the Panama Canal (though they’d probably be wisest to join the allies, given their neighbor to the north). So diplomacy would play a big role. Will the neutrals throw their weight in with one side or try to team up against the superpowers?

The nonaligned Movement and the PRC would be able to build infantry in any of their territories but would be limited to building other units at industrial complexes. They would not have conquerable capitals.

I may replace South Africa with Israel - which would be more fun to play as? Obviously, a playable Israel would have to get some NO for just existing, as 1ipc aint enough to defend itself.  Which would be more fun?

I’m working on techs to cover the time period better. Nukes would be optional. Maybe dropping too many nukes results in everyone losing?

Any ideas about victory conditions?

• just finished playing and it is amazing!!! its pretty much balanced except for the part of NATO having nothing in southern France. just wanted to say keep up the good work because you mod to the game is AWESOME!!!

• @poloplayer15:

just finished playing and it is amazing!!! its pretty much balanced except for the part of NATO having nothing in southern France. just wanted to say keep up the good work because you mod to the game is AWESOME!!!

Hey tell me more! How did it turn out?

• well we called the quits after America and UK landed a huge force in Leningrad and liberated/conquered Scandinavia 5-6 Russian territories. the us had taken back turkey and the British took the Ukraine. china was still an all out brawl. NATO was captured the Russian fleet and air force was dead. we liked it a lot! all of Europe/ Balkans were still in soviet control when we ended except for Greece witch was liberated by the US. . Russia was loosing in the middle east and had been halted in west India. i liked the tech rules and the bonus rules except for the UK. The soviet sub one is hard to accomplish and takes too much UK resources to achieve it. the rockets tech in japan is amazingly useful. America bought a second AA gun and then both Amur and Manchuria factories were continuously bombed. keep up the good work!!!

• Thanks for the aar. Sounds like you had a great game.

I’ll look into your suggestions about adding NATO stuff in Southern France and revising the UK NO. :)

Looks like the 1946 scenario “works as designed”. Russia can quickly overrun Europe and has a good shot at India and the middle east, but US and UK have the long term economic and naval power to roll things back.

Please let me know if you get to play a second game. :)

• we might actually play a second game tonight.

• I’ve been working on revisions to the NOs and setup for the 1946 scenario. I’m still working on balancing all of this. Revised setup will go on first page after I feel more comfortable with the balance.

set up changes
    NATO
    Southern France: 1 minor industrial complex, 1 anti-aircraft gun, 1 naval base, 2 infantry, 1 armor

National Objectives

Soviet Union
    When the Soviet Union is at War
    1. Collect 3 IPCs per turn for each continental European territory the Soviet Union controls. Territories with soviet roundels painted on the map are considered to be soviet national territory and do not count towards this. Turkey is considered to be part of continental Europe. Mediterranean islands do not count for this. Theme: Conquest of Europe.

2. Collect 10 IPCs per turn that the USSR controls the United Kingdom. Theme: High National prestige.

3. Collect 3 IPCs per turn for each of the following territories controlled by the USSR: Iraq, Persia, Eastern Persia, Northwest Persia, and Saudi Arabia. Theme: Access to strategic oil reserves and warm water ports.

4. Collect 3 IPCs per turn for each of the following territories controlled by the USSR: Union of South Africa, Gold Coast, South West Africa, Belgian Congo, India, West India, Egypt, Transjordan, Philippines, French Indo China, Korea, Malaya, Sumatra, Java, Borneo and Celebes. Theme: Support from leftist  Anti-Colonial movements.

5. Collect 10 IPCs, once, for Soviet capture of EACH of the following victory cities: Paris, Rome, London, New South Wales, Tokyo, San Francisco, Washington, and Ottawa. Theme: “Reparations” from the Imperialists.

6. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for each territory in the Americas (including the West Indies) controlled by the USSR. Theme: Contesting the Monroe Doctrine.

Communist China
    1.Collect 6 IPCs per turn if Amur and Manchuria are in communist hands. Theme: Sino-Soviet treaty aid.

2.Collect 3 IPCs per turn if Korea is under communist control. Theme: Sino-Korean communist alliance.

3.Collect 10 ipcs per turn if Nationalist China has been removed from the board. Theme: Final victory over the reactionaries.

United Kingdom
    (UK NO income may be split between London and Calcutta. Divy out the money immediately after calculating your NO income.)
    When the United Kingdom is at War with the USSR
    1. Collect 10 IPCs per turn if there are no Soviet submarines on the Europe map with the following exceptions: The Baltic Sea (113 -114 -115), The Black Sea (100), the white sea (127), the Mediterranean (92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99),  and  the Caspian Sea. Theme: Control of the Atlantic ensures US aid and reinforcements.

2. Collect 25 IPCs per turn if the United Kingdom controls all of its original territories on the Europe and Pacific maps. Theme: Maintenance of the empire considered vital national objective.

3. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for EACH of the following territories, Novgorod (Leningrad), Amur, Novosibirsk, Volgograd (Stalingrad), and/or Russia (Moscow) controlled by the allies. Theme: High strategic and propaganda value.

NATO
    When NATO is at War with the USSR
    1.Collect 5 IPCs per turn if there are no Soviet submarines on the Europe map with the following exceptions: The Baltic Sea (113 -114 -115), The Black Sea (100), the white sea (127), the Mediterranean (92-93-94-95-96-97-98-99),  and  the Caspian Sea. Theme: Control of the Atlantic ensures US aid and reinforcements.

2.Collect 5 IPC per turn if NATO controls both Denmark and Norway while Sweden is pro-Allies or Allied-controlled. Theme: Access to Iron Ore and other strategic resources.

3.Collect 3 IPCs per turn for each continental European territory the allies control. Territories with soviet roundels painted on the map are considered to be soviet national territory and do not count towards this. Turkey is considered to be part of continental Europe. Mediterranean islands do not count for this. Theme: Defense of Europe against communist aggression.

4.Collect 10 IPCs per turn if NATO controls all of its original territories on the Europe and Pacific maps. Theme: Maintenance of their colonial empires considered vital national objective.

ANZAC
    When ANZAC is at war with the USSR
    1.Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the Allies control Dutch New Guinea, New Guinea, New Britain and the Solomon Islands. Theme: Strategic outer defense perimeter

2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the Allied powers control Malaya and ANZAC controls all of its original territories. Theme: Malaya considered strategic cornerstone to Far East British Empire.

3.Collect 5 IPCs per turn for EACH of the following territories, Novgorod (Leningrad), Amur, Novosibirsk, Volgograd (Stalingrad), and/or Russia (Moscow) controlled by the allies. Theme: High strategic and propaganda value.

Nationalist China
    1. Collects 6 IPCs per turn if the Burma Road is totally open. The Allies must control India, Burma, Yunnan and Szechwan for this to occur. Theme: Chinese military supply line corridor.

2. Collect 3 IPCs per turn if Korea is under allied control. Theme: Sino-Korean anti-communist alliance.

3. Collect 10 ipcs per turn if Communist China has been removed from the board. Theme: Final victory over the red butchers.

USA
    When the United States is at war with the USSR.
    1. The IPC value of the Western United States raises from 10 to 50 immediately upon war. This change is permanent. Should the west coast be subsequently captured by the Soviet Union then Russia’s income would go up by 50 ipcs rather than just 10. Theme: Wartime economy.

2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn when the Soviet Union does not control a single territory in the Americas (including the west indies). Theme: Monroe Doctrine.

3. Collect 5 IPC per turn if the Allies control all of the 7 following islands. Midway, Wake, Marianas, Iwo Jima, Caroline, Solomon Islands and Guam. Theme: Islands considered to be vital strategic forward bases

4. Collect 5 IPCs per turn for controlling both the Philippines and Japan. Theme: Centers of American influence in Asia.

• playing it again tonight with the new changes. will be sure to let you know how it goes. :-D

• Great. I’ll be playing it tomorrow.

I have 2 more National objectives to add

Communist china
    1. Collect 3 ipcs per turn for each turn that Hong Kong is under communists control. Theme: Liberation of Chinese territory from the imperialists.

Nationalist China
    2. Collect 5 ipcs per turn for each turn that all of Mongolia is under allied control. Theme: Liberation of Chinese territory from the communists.

• 2007 AAR League

Can you post a starting map?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m