• Sponsor

@garett:

Can you move 2 (with mech or tanks) onto a transport?

Can you move 2 (with mech or tanks) off of a transport?

No, a tank or mechanized infantry may not move into a coastal territory and than board a transport within the same phase. Nor may they move 1 space after exiting a transport within the same phase. Tanks and mechanized infantry must begin their turn in the territory they are boarding from and end their turn in the territory they are exiting onto.

• '12

As long as we are discussing changes…

1. I think there is something wrong with the fact that a maximum damage (6) minor IC can build one unit after 4 IPCS of repair while a maximum damage major IC (20) needs to spend 11 IPCS to do the same.  A heavily bombed player may even wish they could replace their own majors with minors under the current rules if the game is not going well for them.  It just seems to not mesh with the idea of the territory being more heavily industrailized.  Or maybe it was intended to go with a “The bigger they are, the harder they fall” philosophy.

2. I haven’t tested this yet, but I’d like to try counting mech inf as the same as an inf for transport purposes.  IE, a transport can carry any 2 units as long as at least one is an inf or mech.  The reason for this is simply because in the european theatre the USA and Commonwealth (except for a few early war units in the mid-east) infantry were fully motorized.  I’d like to be able to replicate that without being penalized by having half empty transports, but maybe every trans carrying a tank and a mech is just too much.

• @moralecheck:

As long as we are discussing changes…

1. I think there is something wrong with the fact that a maximum damage (6) minor IC can build one unit after 4 IPCS of repair while a maximum damage major IC (20) needs to spend 11 IPCS to do the same.  A heavily bombed player may even wish they could replace their own majors with minors under the current rules if the game is not going well for them.   It just seems to not mesh with the idea of the territory being more heavily industrailized.  Or maybe it was intended to go with a “The bigger they are, the harder they fall” philosophy.

2. I haven’t tested this yet, but I’d like to try counting mech inf as the same as an inf for transport purposes.  IE, a transport can carry any 2 units as long as at least one is an inf or mech.  The reason for this is simply because in the european theatre the USA and Commonwealth (except for a few early war units in the mid-east) infantry were fully motorized.  I’d like to be able to replicate that without being penalized by having half empty transports, but maybe every trans carrying a tank and a mech is just too much.

1. You have a point there.  SBR isn’t too popular in this game, though.

2. That’s why I prefer to have mechanized infantry as a technology rather than a separate unit.

• 1.  What is Alpha +2 I hear mentioned alot?

2.  UK cannot scramble fighters in the standard rules, correct?

3.  If I have an industrial complex in Romania, the Turkish straight is still controlled by Turkey so its closed, can I still build sea units in sea zone 100, they just cant leave until the straight is opened?  (If the question makes no sense basically Russia is moving all its units towards Barbarrosa so I want to basically drop units into Caucasus via transports in z100 behind thier main line to put pressure on Stalingrad or to pincer his other units).

• @oly:

1.  What is Alpha +2 I hear mentioned alot?

A creator (Larry Harris) developed and endorsed setup and rule adjustment to correct some perceived imbalances in A&A 1940 Pacific (alone) and A&A 1940 Global.  It can be used for AA1940 Europe as well, although the theater specific games haven’t been tested as extensively as Global.  Theoretically, it should be a more interesting setup as it provides Italy with a navy that can possibly survive round one and some rule changes that prevent the Norwegian US major factory problem.

@oly:

2.  UK cannot scramble fighters in the standard rules, correct?

Correct.  Per OOB rules, the UK is not an “island” per the definition of the game.  Alpha .2+ rules keep the definition of “island” the same, but allow airbases to scramble to any coastal seazone adjacent to the airbase territory.

@oly:

3.  If I have an industrial complex in Romania, the Turkish straight is still controlled by Turkey so its closed, can I still build sea units in sea zone 100, they just cant leave until the straight is opened?  (If the question makes no sense basically Russia is moving all its units towards Barbarrosa so I want to basically drop units into Caucasus via transports in z100 behind thier main line to put pressure on Stalingrad or to pincer his other units).

Yes.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I can agree with number 2.  Personally, I dont see why we need mechanized infantry to begin with, all infantry are mechanized!  It’s not like you have a battalion of soldiers with no jeeps, no halftracks, no duece-and-halfs, no silversides, no cattlecars, etc, etc, etc.  What makes one more mechanized than the other?  As for blitzing with tanks, is that not just soldiers jumping on the tank and riding along?

• hmmm, I can see the point.  Mechanized inf means the development of a true APC, not the half tracks the Germans had, but a wholly enclosed armored troop carrier.  And when we are talking about the numbers that are represented in A&A that is going to equate to entire corps of motorized and mechanized infantry.  Just not practical on the battlefield, Mech inf are a support unit to help keep inf up with the tanks.

Inf riding on tanks however should not be included.  For one it would be on a small scale,  you’re not riding a tank 200 miles, just over the front line.  Also, most nations and soldiers realized that riding on a tank is a sure way to leave a bloody stain, the Russians did it most because they lacked appreciable numbers of tracked infantry carriers.

• '12

@Cmdr:

I can agree with number 2.  Personally, I dont see why we need mechanized infantry to begin with, all infantry are mechanized!  It’s not like you have a battalion of soldiers with no jeeps, no halftracks, no duece-and-halfs, no silversides, no cattlecars, etc, etc, etc.  What makes one more mechanized than the other?  As for blitzing with tanks, is that not just soldiers jumping on the tank and riding along?

Actually, this is why I like the idea of the 2 types of infantry and the extra cost of the mech.  As I said earlier, the USA and Commonwealth were the only 2 that pulled it off.  The Germans were next, but a very distant runner up.  Most of their infantry units relied on horses.  It just doesn’t look that way as the wartime propoganda films always followed the tanks and panzer grenadiers (mech inf).  Italy was supplied with captured French trucks and Opel Blitz by the Germans to supplement their low production, yet they were never able to fully motorize in Africa or Russia and they never even tried elswhere.  China had 300 divisions, only one was motorized.  Japan only had 2 tank divisions and used motorized transport for supply except on rare occasions.

It adds a splash of historical flavor, because it translates well in game terms.  The USA can easily afford it, and Britain too, once the US is there to help them (but both have the option of cheaper leg units if things don’t go well).  Germany buys a decent sprinkling of them and everyone else gets the odd one when they are able to justify it.

• I brought this idea up about mech infantry being treated like infantry on transports over on Larrys website a few months ago. It just got ignored. I thought it had merit.

• Honestly though, how often do you buy a mech. infantry instead of a normal infantry?

• Here is my situation. SZ 6 is occupied by the American Navy, and the IJN is within striking range but out numbered. So my question is, can I ncm my fleet back to SZ 6 to regroup with some naval units to be built that turn? Or does the U.S. Navy need to be removed first?

• @Ruanek:

I seem to remember answering this question somewhere else.

In any case, the answer is no.  You cannot go to a hostile sea zone in a non-combat move.

Ok, thank you. But you can place new units into a hostile SZ via adjacent IC correct?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Ruanek:

Honestly though, how often do you buy a mech. infantry instead of a normal infantry?

With Japan?  All the time.

With Germany?  Sometimes, rarely.

With Italy? More often than with Germany, but still, rarely.

With everyone else?  Never.

• Rules : Alpha2+
    Situation :  I declare an amphibious assault from a ship free sea zone. I move transports and Battleship accordingly, but since there’s a airbase with 2 figters adjacent I feel 1 Battleship won’t be enough and I could be beaten at sea.

Question : Can I move, during combat moves, other ships (like destroyer or AirCarrier) and planes to that sea zone so I’m stronger against those 2 possible scrambling figters?

• Official Q&A

@warwinner:

Here is my situation. SZ 6 is occupied by the American Navy, and the IJN is within striking range but out numbered. So my question is, can I ncm my fleet back to SZ 6 to regroup with some naval units to be built that turn? Or does the U.S. Navy need to be removed first?

If the US and Japan aren’t yet at war and you’re playing by the box rules, you can move your fleet there.  (In the Alpha rules the US fleet can’t be there if the US isn’t at war with Japan.)

However, if the two powers are at war, you can only move subs and air units that will land on carriers that you are mobilizing into the sea zone.  None of your other units may move into a hostile sea zone in noncombat movement.

In any case, new units may be mobilized in the sea zone.

(Please delete all previous answers to this question.)

• @Krieghund:

@warwinner:

Here is my situation. SZ 6 is occupied by the American Navy, and the IJN is within striking range but out numbered. So my question is, can I ncm my fleet back to SZ 6 to regroup with some naval units to be built that turn? Or does the U.S. Navy need to be removed first?

If the US and Japan aren’t yet at war and you’re playing by the box rules, you can move your fleet there.  (In the Alpha rules the US fleet can’t be there if the US isn’t at war with Japan.)

However, if the two powers are at war, you can only move subs and air units that will land on carriers that you are mobilizing into the sea zone.  None of your other units may move into a hostile sea zone in noncombat movement.

In any case, new units may be mobilized in the sea zone.

You could only move subs in NCM to Z6 if there are no Allied destroyers.

• Official Q&A

@BigBadBruce:

Rules : Alpha2+
    Situation :  I declare an amphibious assault from a ship free sea zone. I move transports and Battleship accordingly, but since there’s a airbase with 2 figters adjacent I feel 1 Battleship won’t be enough and I could be beaten at sea.

Question : Can I move, during combat moves, other ships (like destroyer or AirCarrier) and planes to that sea zone so I’m stronger against those 2 possible scrambling figters?

Yes.  The chance of scrambled air defense allows this.

• Official Q&A

@gamerman01:

You could only move subs in NCM to Z6 if there are no Allied destroyers.

Not true.  You can move subs into a sea zone with enemy destroyers; you just can’t move them through one.

• It would certainly help Japan out, and the US starts with a few mec that are annoying to try to move across the Atlantic when they can only go 1 at a time or paired with regular infantry.  I like it.

• I have a few questions regarding Alpha 2 global.

Can France and Britan scamble at the same time to defend  the same sea zone ?

What sea zone is the Turkish strait?
    What do Kamakazees hit at? Does the defender get a defense for the Kamakazee attack?

Can Britain move into US sea zones when not at  war with Japan?

Can US move into Brazil if they are not at war?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m