• Question about surface warships starting in hostile sea zones (See top right of page 13 of rulebook).

There is the exception, that you can load units in a hostile sea zone only if you just declared war on that power in that turn - you can still load ground units.

Our question is, can you load units in that zone and go conduct amphibious assault with them elsewhere, and also attack the enemy surface ship(s) in that loading zone all in the same combat move phase?

I’m attacking an American destroyer in Z6 with aircraft and warships, while also loading ground units from Japan for battles elsewhere and my opponent’s understanding of the page 13 rules is that you can’t do both.

I thought the purpose of the rule was to point out that you can’t just stay in the zone without conducting any combat (ignore it), and that you can’t load ground units from that zone (there is the exception for when you just declared war that turn, though).

Who’s right?

• Official Q&A

It is allowed.  The purpose of the rule is to keep a power from blocking the loading of transports by moving ships into the sea zones with them before they are at war.

• Krieg.
    scenario:
    US moves into sz 6 on its non combat move during its turn 3, and it declares war at the end of mobilize units.

I believe this would prevent Japan from loading units on a TR in sz6 the following turn since Japan is already at war from the previous turn.

• ^
    That is the exact reason that some people want the US DOW to be moved.

• Official Q&A

@jeffdestroyer:

Krieg.
    scenario:
    US moves into sz 6 on its non combat move during its turn 3, and it declares war at the end of mobilize units.

I believe this would prevent Japan from loading units on a TR in sz6 the following turn since Japan is already at war from the previous turn.

I guess that’s an incentive for Japan to not wait until turn 4 to declare war on the US.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

^

Interesting.

I also think there should be a rule change.  USA should not be able to noncom next to the Asian coastline, just as it can’t non-com to African or European.

• maybe we should also allow the chinese to liberate ALL of the territories included for the burma road bonus.

• @gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

^

Interesting.

I also think there should be a rule change.  USA should not be able to noncom next to the Asian coastline, just as it can’t non-com to African or European.

Define “Asia.” Does that include the DEI? The Philippines? Japan?

• @leddux:

maybe we should also allow the chinese to liberate ALL of the territories included for the burma road bonus.

So you want china to be able to liberate India?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@leddux:

maybe we should also allow the chinese to liberate ALL of the territories included for the burma road bonus.

So you want china to be able to liberate India?

Shouldn’t every country have the chance to win its own NO?

• @leddux:

Shouldn’t every country have the chance to win its own NO?

No.  If India’s under Axis control, I don’t think China should have the opportunity to buy artillery (or get the bonus) - the idea of the Burma road NO is the relationship with the more advanced UK, no?  No India, no bonus.  Also, China is a special case - throughout all of history they’ve never been too interested in affairs outside their borders (or not far beyond their borders - Korea, Burma may be exceptions).  Seems awfully unbelievable to me that Chinese forces could enter India in WWII.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@gamerman01:

@calvinhobbesliker:

^

Interesting.

I also think there should be a rule change.  USA should not be able to noncom next to the Asian coastline, just as it can’t non-com to African or European.

Define “Asia.” Does that include the DEI? The Philippines? Japan?

I meant Pacific rim of Asian continental landmass, so would include Z6, yes.
    I leave it up to others to decide if this includes Phillipines, Carolines, etc, but to me it should include all major Jap power centers.  I mean, since they already have the African/European rule in effect, might as well make it more realistic on the other theater as well.

• Hey Guys!

First of all, great work of you so far! This forum is really helping.

I’ve a couple of questions.

If a Kamikaze attacks an AC, and its damaged, are the planes on it trapped?
    Do you roll each Kamikaze seperatly ? And when do you have to determine which ship targets?And why shuold it not be possible to target Transports?

More or less the same with the suprise attack of U-boats. When an AC hast no Destroyers at his side, and I’m attacking only with U-boats, my understanding is that the AC could be damaged before any planes could start.

Scrambling is only valid from Islands with AB, right? Because there was an earlier post which mentioned England…

Lately I’m a bit confused about all this Alpha setup talk… Maybe someone could open a new thread for Alpha?

Thanks.

• @Austian:

No, not trapped on the carrier.  They would be in the air, because it’s combat movement/combat.  They might be out of luck if the carrier was its only landing place after the battle, though!

Do you roll each Kamikaze seperatly ? And when do you have to determine which ship targets?And why shuold it not be possible to target Transports?

Kamikaze targets are picked individually before rolling.  They need to be rolled separately if the targets are different, yes.
    Do you know of an instance where a Kamikaze hit a transport?  I thought they always/or mainly went after capital ships.  Anyway, it doesn’t have to make sense.  It’s the rule.  Only destroyers or bigger.

More or less the same with the suprise attack of U-boats. When an AC hast no Destroyers at his side, and I’m attacking only with U-boats, my understanding is that the AC could be damaged before any planes could start.

I’d have to check on this to be sure.  Not sure off top of head.

Scrambling is only valid from Islands with AB, right? Because there was an earlier post which mentioned England…

That’s only Alpha.  But I can’t imagine playing this game OOB, at least after it gets finished…
    Yes, only islands with airbases.

• Alpha setup is to balance the game? So i wonder which side it favors in your opinion? The OOB i mean.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Austian!

@gamerman01:

@Austian:

No, not trapped on the carrier.  They would be in the air, because it’s combat movement/combat.  They might be out of luck if the carrier was its only landing place after the battle, though!

The planes on board could be trapped only if they belong to a power different than the carrier.  In this case, they would be cargo.

@gamerman01:

I’d have to check on this to be sure.  Not sure off top of head.

The planes would be defending in the air, no matter who they belong to.

@Austian:

Alpha setup is to balance the game? So i wonder which side it favors in your opinion? The OOB i mean.

People seem to think that the Allies are favored.

• Hi all,

I’m from Austria, if someone knows the place (somewhere in Greater Southern Germany, on your battlemaps… :wink:), so please excuse any mistakes in my spelling and/or grammar.  :-)

My group and I have played the OOB setup four or five times now, and in our opinion, the Axis has a good chance to win. So we think, if at all, the setup favors the Allies…

As I read earlier: you guys play one round in about one hour? And after roughly 7 round it’s clear which side wins?
    In my experience a full round takes a minimum of 2 hours, and after 4 rounds the winner is clear.
    Also i have read some of the tactics proposed here, and I’d really like to show you our tactics sometime because we always seek the quickest way to beat our opponent, including some moves of considerable risk. Therefore we can’t really understand those tactics presented which include round 4 or 5. As we play, a tactic can only be valid for the first round, maybe a “long term” for the second or third round, but after the second everything depends on your initial moves and you luck.
    No offence meant.

I overlooked the setup for Alpha+(1. 2  ?  :?) and we really liked some changes(for example the NO’s for the US),but without an actual game played like this, I can’t say if it’s for the better or the worse. I’m hoping for another game (OOB) this week or the one after that, to finalise our Axis tactics, and will then post it for those of you who are interested.

Btw. took me a long time to figure out what all these abbreviations you use mean… but I think I got them now.

Great work so far, this is an awesome game! Forum is great too.

P.s. Krieghund, I guess you name is the German translation for war dog? You are missing an s. Its Kriegshund. Just in case you wanna know.

Bye.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

P.s. Krieghund, I guess you name is the German translation for war dog? You are missing an s. Its Kriegshund. Just in case you wanna know.

Pwned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5rF_X-8LiI

As for you Viribus, forget using the OOB setup, Alpha will soon replace it entirely, and Alpha is a vastly superior design - endorsed by Larry Harris.  Definetely try it for your upcoming game! You will notice DRASTIC differences when compared to the OOB setup.

Alot more fun too! Do post and let us know how it goes!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Can ANZAC fighters land on US territory - if ANZAC is at war with Japan, but the U.S. is not?

• Official Q&A

Welcome, ViribusUnitis!

@ViribusUnitis:

Thanks, I know.  I have a reason for spelling it the way that I do.

@Gargantua:

Can ANZAC fighters land on US territory - if ANZAC is at war with Japan, but the U.S. is not?

If the US is at war with someone (not necessarily Japan), they can land there.  If the US is still neutral, they cannot.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m