• @94Canuck:

Reading the rule book, a bit confused on this one.  If Japan attacks UK/Anzac pre-USA 3, can the USA opt to come in the game early?  Or only if they are attacked themselves pre-USA3.

Also, USA gets the boost at collect income USA 3 or once at war if before correct?

US can enter the war if Japan declared war on UK/ANZAC(So UK can’t attack Japan to get US into war). It collects +30 the turn it goes to war.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@94Canuck:

Reading the rule book, a bit confused on this one.  If Japan attacks UK/Anzac pre-USA 3, can the USA opt to come in the game early?  Or only if they are attacked themselves pre-USA3.

Also, USA gets the boost at collect income USA 3 or once at war if before correct?

US can enter the war if Japan declared war on UK/ANZAC(So UK can’t attack Japan to get US into war). It collects +30 the turn it goes to war.

Is it during the purchase fase or the collect income the US will get +30

• @Juhlius:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@94Canuck:

Is it during the purchase fase or the collect income the US will get +30

Collect income phase.  It is a National Objective and behaves as all other National Objectives do.

• 1. The game is great and so far my favorite version of Axis & Allies.
    2. This forum is brilliant.
    3. I think Russia should not be allowed to land planes in the territories of the western allies as long as it is only at war with Japan. Of course it should be allowed to support the East-British territories as long as those are also at war with Japan.

Just to be sure that I got the following points correctly:

a) The infantry troops only appear in neutral countries, if they are attacked by an hostile power, yes? If England attacks Finnland, for example, they appear to defend the country against the invasion. If Germany is the first power entering Finnland, the troops don’t appear in order to support the German troops, do they?

b) Chinese territories are the only territories in the game whose occupation never brings a gain to the income of an allied power since China has no capital.

c) In order to make an amphibious assault I can load troops to the transporter before I move it and also afer I moved it already one field, yes? For example: I am allowed to move the transporter to a touching sea zone, load troops on it and move to the next sea zone where the assault will happen? Or do I have to load the transport already in the sea zone the transport starts is turn in?

d) In general I am only allowed to load my transports in safe sea zones = sea zones in which no hostile warship including submarines is positioned, yes?

That’s all for now ;-)

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Themistokles!

a) Yes, they do.  Germany can use them on its next turn.

b) Correct.

c) You can pick them up in any friendly sea zone along the transports’ move.

d) You can load them only in friendly sea zones.  Enemy subs and/or transports don’t make a sea zone hostile, so you can load them in sea zones that contain those.

• Thanks Krieghund!

• Krieghund,

When do you think the official FAQ will come out? If not soon, do you plan on posting an unofficial version like you did for the Pacific game?

I’m curious to know if the FAQ will have any setup corrections or changes.

Thank

• Official Q&A

The FAQ may be out this month.  There will be no setup changes.

• Hey everyone, just finished reading the AAG40 FAQ thread (all 40 pages…phew) and have come up with an unofficial collection of the knowledge contained. Our group is having a game on Thursday and I wanted an easy reference for these additional rules and clarifications. Take a look and see if there’s any mistakes (hopefully not too many). Also feel free to mention any rules that I’ve missed.

Note: I’ve left out the questions about whether Quebec borders New Brunswick / Nova Scotia and the whole Russia placing units in allied territories since they seem to be up in the air. Will be interested in the ruling of the official FAQ when it comes out.

AXIS & ALLIES UNOFFICIAL GLOBAL FAQ

UNITS
    • Transports do not block amphibious landings.
    • A transport cannot load units while it is in a hostile sea-zone. The only exception is the combat phase after a declaration of war.
    • If a transport retreats from a naval attack before an amphibious assault it cannot unload units that turn.
    • If lone transports are scrambled against during an amphibious assault the air units attack for one round before the transports have the option of retreating.
    • If a transport is not accompanied by a surface warship for its entire move a submarine gets a one-time attack on any transport moving through the sub’s seazone.
    • A scrambled fighter or kamikaze attack prevents shore bombardment.
    • Owning Gibraltar does not block the movement of enemy subs but does block the movement of enemy surface warships.
    • Fighters and tactical bombers can only be scrambled from islands. Japan and New Zealand are considered islands, Australia and the UK are not.
    • Air units cannot land in a neutral territory captured in the same turn.
    • If an air unit has no movement left at the end of a sea battle and the carrier it was going to land on is damaged or destroyed, that air unit is also destroyed. This air unit would not be able to retreat from that sea battle.
    • A tank or mechanized infantry can non-com through a recently conquered territory into a friendly territory or friendly neutral.
    • A tank or mechanized infantry cannot blitz through a friendly neutral into a friendly territory during non-combat.
    • A tank or mechanized infantry cannot move in the combat phase and non-combat phase.
    • An AA gun can liberate a friendly neutral.

GEOGRAPHY
    • The island of Newfoundland is considered part of Nova Scotia / New Brunswick. Airbases placed on this territory do not allow for scrambling.
    • SZ 5 does not touch Korea.
    • Scotland and Eire are connected by land.
    • Alberta does not border any US territory.
    • SZ 64 does not touch Peru.
    • SZ 89 does not touch Columbia.

IPC’S & NATIONAL OBJECTIVES
    • IPC’s from the UK Europe and UK Pacific are always kept separate.
    • UK national objectives always go to UK Europe.
    • Convoy disruptions only occur between powers already at war. Declarations of war must occur during the combat move phase.
    • Convoy disruptions are limited to the maximum number of IPC’s held by all enemy territories bordering that sea zone.
    • The optional rule of allowing German subs to disrupt convoys at 3 IPC’s can be used in the Global game.
    • China is not subject to convoy disruptions.
    • Air bases, naval bases, factories, and AA guns are considered units for the purposes of Italy’s NO for no enemy units in Africa.

DECLARATIONS OF WAR
    • A state of war between Japan and Russia does not allow Russia to receive the national objective that has SZ 125 free of enemy ships, ownership of Archangel and a state of war. It does allow Russia to invade neutrals however.
    • The US cannot move naval units into or through sea zones adjacent to Europe, this includes SZ 123 that surrounds Iceland.
    • Air units cannot move through a neutral power’s territory (a power is neutral if it is not at war).

MISC.
    • If a power’s capital is liberated all industrial complexes, naval bases, air bases, and AA guns previously liberated by a friendly power are reverted back to the original power’s ownership. The only exception is AA guns taken by an enemy power that are then retaken by a friendly power and not currently in a territory originally by the power whose capital has been liberated.
    • If a power’s capital is liberated an industrial complex in a territory originally controlled by that power reverts to that power’s control. This applies to factories built by the power whose capital has been liberated as well as factories built by allied powers. This occurs during the Conduct Combat phase.
    • A Japanese factory built in a Chinese territory is eliminated if that territory is liberated.
    • If one side captures the allotted amount of victory cities they must hold those VC’s until the next turn of the power that captured the final VC. At the beginning of that power’s next turn they must hold the same number of VC’s but not necessarily the same VC’s.
    • A kamikaze attack does not require that an air unit is used or destroyed. Kamikaze attacks cannot target subs or transports.
    • Kamikaze attacks occur during the Conduct Combat phase therefore they can only be used in the seazone in which a naval unit ends their combat movement.

• '22 '19 '18

Great review, saves people from reading 40 pages of posts.  They looked good to me.

• Official Q&A

Nice summary, Sgt. Wonko.  A few minor points:

@Sgt.:

• If an air unit has no movement left at the end of a sea battle and the carrier it was going to land on is damaged or destroyed, that air unit is also destroyed. This air unit would not be able to retreat from that sea battle.

Actually, the air unit can retreat.  It just won’t be able to move afterwards, so it will be lost (unless a new carrier is being mobilized in the sea zone).

@Sgt.:

• Alberta does not border any US territory.

This is under review.

@Sgt.:

• Air bases, naval bases, factories, and AA guns are considered units for the purposes of Italy’s NO for no enemy units in Africa.

They are considered units for all purposes.

@Sgt.:

• If a power’s capital is liberated all industrial complexes, naval bases, air bases, and AA guns previously liberated by a friendly power are reverted back to the original power’s ownership. The only exception is AA guns taken by an enemy power that are then retaken by a friendly power and not currently in a territory originally by the power whose capital has been liberated.

Actually, you’re talking about two different situations here.  When a capital is liberated, only AA guns in the capital revert to the control of the liberated power.  Any AA guns controlled by allied powers in outlying territories whose control is being returned to the liberated power are retained by those powers.  The second sentence above always applies, whether the AA gun’s original owner’s capital is enemy-held or not.

• Waw, good job on digging all the way through this topic!

• Thanks Krieghund for pointing out those issues. I was a bit confused about the whole liberated AA gun thing but put it in as I understood it. I see what you’re saying about the aircraft retreating as well. You could have a situation in which a fighter or tac bomber used up all of it’s movement getting to a sea battle. If that sea battle was in a sea zone next to an IC, the player could still build a carrier and place it in the hostile sea zone for the fighter/tac bomber to land on once they retreat. Cool! And thanks to everyone else for your comments.

• @Krieghund:

The FAQ may be out this month.  There will be no setup changes.

Oh my God- finally!!! :wink:

• @Sgt.:

• Transports do not block amphibious landings.

Transports and submarines do not block amphibious assaults, or any naval movements.

• A transport cannot load units while it is in a hostile sea-zone. The only exception is the combat phase after a declaration of war.

Definition of a hostile sea-zone = enemy surface ships present.

IPC’S & NATIONAL OBJECTIVES
    • Convoy disruptions are limited to the maximum number of IPC’s held by all enemy territories bordering that sea zone.

But each enemy power only loses IPC income for territories it controls on its turn.

• A Japanese factory built in a Chinese territory is eliminated if that territory is liberated.

Actually, any Axis factory.

Thanks, and good job.

• TripleA

If I purchase a Carrier, conduct combat which ends in a plane stopping in the Sea Zone where the Carrier is to be placed, is that allowed?  Or does the plane have to land on the land since at the end of NCM there isn’t a Carrier there until the next step?

• Official Q&A

Yes, it’s allowed.

• TripleA

Please confirm.

Surprise Strike for Subs.  Attacking subs score a hit, this hit is recorded and the unit moves behind the casualty strip.

Defending subs fire and score a hit, the attackers unit is removed prior to general sea combat.

Do the defending units which took a hit from the attacking subs get removed or do they get a chance to attack in general combat?  Or do they only get to attack if the defending unit which takes a hit is a sub?

• @94Canuck:

Please confirm.

Surprise Strike for Subs.  Attacking subs score a hit, this hit is recorded and the unit moves behind the casualty strip.

Defending subs fire and score a hit, the attackers unit is removed prior to general sea combat.

Do the defending units which took a hit from the attacking subs get removed or do they get a chance to attack in general combat?  Or do they only get to attack if the defending unit which takes a hit is a sub?

Unless the’re subs, they’re removed automatically. If they are subs(and the attacker doesn’t have a destroyer), they can fire back.

• @94Canuck:

That depends.  If the attacking subs score a hit on boats that are not accompanied by a destroyer, those boats are immediately removed, and do not return fire (definition of surprise strike).  If the attacking subs score a hit on boats that ARE accompanied by a destroyer, the surprise strike capability is nullified, and those boats DO return fire.

“General” sea combat??  Defending subs get a surprise strike capability (shoot before attacker does) if the attacker has no destroyers.  If the attacker does have destroyer(s) then the subs don’t get surprise strike.  Simple as that.

Doesn’t mater what type of unit the defending unit is.  See above.  If you have a destroyer, your units always get a chance to fire when taking sub hits.  If you do not have a destroyer and you get hit by a sub, you gone, man!  You don’t get to fire.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m