• Sponsor

1 sub attacks a lone aircraft carrier with 2 fighters,

1. Only the sub and carrier resolve combat on the battle board.

2. The sub hit during the 1st round of combat and a damage marker goes under the carrier.
    Does the carrier receive it’s Defence roll, or does the sub immediately continue with another surprise strike, submerge, or retreat to begin the 2nd combat round?

3. The sub (if survives) submerges, leaving the carrier damaged.
    what are the fighters options?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

To die. (Or land on another carrier in that sea zone or to land on an adjacent friendly territory.)

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

To die. (Or land on another carrier in that sea zone or to land on an adjacent friendly territory.)

So the maximum movement points for air units in this situation is 1? And what about the other half of my question?

• @Young:

So the maximum movement points for air units in this situation is 1? And what about the other half of my question?

Yes, movement point is one, so fighters can also land on available space on a carrier 1 sea zone away, not just in that same sea zone.

For your #2 - yes, the carrier receives its defense roll, as would a battleship that has only been hit once.  It’s only on the 2nd and sinking hit that the sunk ship does not get to fire.

• Can I play pacific 1940 with alpha 3+ setup and pacific NOs and the rule that USA gets +40ipc

@valtteri771:

Can I play pacific 1940 with alpha 3+ setup and pacific NOs and the rule that USA gets +40ipc

You can play anything your friends agree to play with.  However, Alpha +3 is designed for the global game, applying it to only the Pacific may or may not create issues in balance.

• @Young:

2. The sub hit during the 1st round of combat and a damage marker goes under the carrier.
    Does the carrier receive it’s Defence roll, or does the sub immediately continue with another surprise strike, submerge, or retreat to begin the 2nd combat round?

If the carrier is undamaged and only receives one hit during the subs sneak attacks it may return fire…if multiple subs were firing and 2 hits were assigned to one carrier, then it would not return fire.

If a damaged carrier is hit during the sub attack, it would not return fire as well.

• Sponsor

@JamesAleman:

@Young:

If the carrier is undamaged and only receives one hit during the subs sneak attacks it may return fire…if multiple subs were firing and 2 hits were assigned to one carrier, then it would not return fire.

If a damaged carrier is hit during the sub attack, it would not return fire as well.

A carrier that is only hit once and damaged during a round of combat by a sub, may return fire within the same round.

• Sponsor

Questions about the Mongolian rule,

1. If japanese units attack a Russian territory adjacent to Mongolia (Amur), and a Mongolian territory (Buyant- Uhaa) in the same combat movement phase, is the strict neutral rule activated, or the Mongolian rule?

2. If Russian units attack Japanese units in the Chinese territory of Kansu is the Mongolian rule still active or does it become neutralized?

3. If Russian units attack Japanese units in Kazakhstan, is the Mongolian rule still active or does it become neutralized?

Do you have to declare war on a neutral to NCM over it as well?  I said yes, since you are violating their airspace and we went with it, but a clear decision would be great so I can either go and say “hey, I was wrong, sorry” or “yea, we got that right.”  (For that matter, for a combat move too?)

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

Do you have to declare war on a neutral to NCM over it as well?  I said yes, since you are violating their airspace and we went with it, but a clear decision would be great so I can either go and say “hey, I was wrong, sorry” or “yea, we got that right.”  (For that matter, for a combat move too?)

Thats usually how it goes (what ever makes sense, and than find out later), I am also interested in this one, because air units can fly over almost anything to get to where their going.

@Young:

@Cmdr:

Thats usually how it goes (what ever makes sense, and than find out later), I am also interested in this one, because air units can fly over almost anything to get to where their going.

Yes.  The issue was this:

Germany can send a strategic bomber to Gibraltar to bomb the Naval Base there.  With England gone (yea, we do that EVERY GAME) there would be no one to repair the base (it was never captured).  However, they would have to fly over Spain to get the bomber there and have enough movement points to get to a safe Axis territory (West or South France from W. Germany.)

We said it did require a DOW and thus the base was not attacked.  The game could have been significantly different if the British were denied a can open for the Americans - the Germans could have built units in Germany, instead of W. Germany.

• Sponsor

@Cmdr:

@Young:

@Cmdr:

Yes.  The issue was this:

Germany can send a strategic bomber to Gibraltar to bomb the Naval Base there.  With England gone (yea, we do that EVERY GAME) there would be no one to repair the base (it was never captured).  However, they would have to fly over Spain to get the bomber there and have enough movement points to get to a safe Axis territory (West or South France from W. Germany.)

We said it did require a DOW and thus the base was not attacked.  The game could have been significantly different if the British were denied a can open for the Americans - the Germans could have built units in Germany, instead of W. Germany.

Interesting, we have never flown over Spain, because we assume it is illegal, quite a turn about if we can.

Exactly.  Especially with how easily it is to abuse England, this could - potentially - be a lifeline for the Axis in Europe if the Allies gun for them there.  Thing is, this is a TRUE neutral, if it was Pro-an Alliance, I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s basically a hostile nation that has not been asked to join an alliance yet.

• Hang on, it IS illegal, right?

• Sponsor

@special:

Hang on, it IS illegal, right?

at this point yes, but it seems that all the deputies are at the salon.

• @Young:

@special:

Hang on, it IS illegal, right?

at this point yes, but it seems that all the deputies are at the salon.

tssssss opening my solstice cider…  edit:  Wait.  Salon?  not Saloon?  How dare you sir, my bedhead needs no professional attention and my nails are immaculate
    I could be wrong, and Krieg may correct me, but…

It’s my understanding that you don’t declare war on powers that aren’t player powers.  We’ve never required a declaration of war as japan to attack the Dutch colonies - attacking dutch colonies simply allows the UK and US to declare war on Japan.

Similarly, one does not “declare war” on a neutral.  You either have to ATTACK the neutral, or you ignore it.  And if you don’t ATTACK a neutral, it doesn’t activate.  And if it doesn’t activate, it’s not an enemy power and it is still a neutral.  And since even a friendly or unfriendly neutral is still neutral and cannot be over flown… etc etc etc.  Hope you see where this is going.

Germany would need to actually ATTACK spain with a unit, not just declare hostile intentions and overfly.  And during the combat move, any plane moving into spain would stop and attack as neutrals can’t be overflown, only attacked. However, if Germany attacked Spain during the combat phase, even if it was with a single infantry, a plane could overfly during the noncombat phase.

• /

|
      |
      |

What he said.

• OK, now that my hair is done…

Bottom line, as kcd said:
    You can’t fly over neutrals of any type - pro-you, pro-them, or strict neutral.  You can only fly over them after they are no longer neutral, which may be as early as your non-combat movement phase.

Jenn, you might consider reading the rulebook from beginning to end.  Really.  You’ll find it very interesting - it’s not boring to read when you play it as much as you do.  For instance, you would have benefitted (as would your opponents) from reading the following, instead of just guessing:

Page #10, under “friendly neutrals”: “Friendly neutrals may not be attacked, and air units may not fly over them.  They can be moved into (but not through) as a noncombat move by land units of a power that is at war…”
    Page #11, under “unfriendly neutrals”: “Air units can’t fly over an unfriendly neutral unless they are attacking it”
    Page #11, under “strict neutrals”: “Strict neutrals are treated in exactly the same was as unfriendly neutrals, with one exception… (all of them turn against you when you attack)”

You can’t fly over any neutrals under any circumstances (as long as they are “neutral”) - not even friendly ones.

• Sponsor

@Gamerman01:

OK, now that my hair is done…

Bottom line, as kcd said:
    You can’t fly over neutrals of any type - pro-you, pro-them, or strict neutral.  You can only fly over them after they are no longer neutral, which may be as early as your non-combat movement phase.

Jenn, you might consider reading the rulebook from beginning to end.  Really.  You’ll find it very interesting - it’s not boring to read when you play it as much as you do.  For instance, you would have benefitted (as would your opponents) from reading the following, instead of just guessing:

Page #10, under “friendly neutrals”: “Friendly neutrals may not be attacked, and air units may not fly over them.  They can be moved into (but not through) as a noncombat move by land units of a power that is at war…”
    Page #11, under “unfriendly neutrals”: “Air units can’t fly over an unfriendly neutral unless they are attacking it”
    Page #11, under “strict neutrals”: “Strict neutrals are treated in exactly the same was as unfriendly neutrals, with one exception… (all of them turn against you when you attack)”

You can’t fly over any neutrals under any circumstances (as long as they are “neutral”) - not even friendly ones.

Oh snap!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m