• Sponsor

OK, thankyou.

Next question: My opponent will attack my ships with air units in a sea zone adjacent to an airbase with 3 of my fighters on it. He finishes all his combat movements and before he begins to roll, I declair that I am scrambling my 3 fighters into the sea battle. He will than get upset that he didn’t bring enough into the battle, and blames me for not making him aware of my scramble possibilities. He always demands a “redo” of his attacks, and I feel that if I warn him all the time, I won’t ever get the chance use my bases the way they were ment to be used.

Also, if I am attacking his ships in a sea zone where he is able to scramble aircraft, do I have to ask him if he is going to scramble, or is it up to him to be aware of his own scrambling possibilities before I roll. I don’t want to hear advise about what’s right or wrong or how to not to be unsportsmanlike like. I want an actual rule. I appreciate that it is up to everyone to look for and point out convoy disruptions because I am obligated under the rules to do so, and I’m ok with that. I need to know what is the rule about notifying scramble possibilities for both attacker and defender, and I will obey a written rule, but not unwritten rules.

• @Young:

OK, thankyou.

Next question: My opponent will attack my ships with air units in a sea zone adjacent to an airbase with 3 of my fighters on it. He finishes all his combat movements and before he begins to roll, I declair that I am scrambling my 3 fighters into the sea battle. He will than get upset that he didn’t bring enough into the battle, and blames me for not making him aware of my scramble possibilities. He always demands a “redo” of his attacks, and I feel that if I warn him all the time, I won’t ever get the chance use my bases the way they were ment to be used.

Also, if I am attacking his ships in a sea zone where he is able to scramble aircraft, do I have to ask him if he is going to scramble, or is it up to him to be aware of his own scrambling possibilities before I roll. I don’t want to hear advise about what’s right or wrong or how to not to be unsportsmanlike like. I want an actual rule. I appreciate that it is up to everyone to look for and point out convoy disruptions because I am obligated under the rules to do so, and I’m ok with that. I need to know what is the rule about notifying scramble possibilities for both attacker and defender, and I will obey a written rule, but not unwritten rules.

This is mostly gray area and etiquette - there is no written rule, and it is up to the defender to announce.

Regarding 1)
    There is no rule obligation for you to allow him to “redo” anything.  You were aware of scrambling and at the phase where it’s relevent (after all combat moves are finished), you declared you would scramble.  It’s his own fault for not paying attention.   It is stated in the rules that the attacker is NOT permitted to change combat movement or attacks after scrambling is declared. At the same time, if he’s not as experienced a player, then you can, if you choose, warn him prior to any combat moves, but you are NOT obligated to.

Regarding 2)
    It is polite to ask whether scrambling will happen AFTER all combat moves are complete, but again, you’re not required to.  The attacker must assume he will scramble and stack accordingly, but the attacker is not obligated by a written rule to ask if he will, and the defender can have a poker face and play completely oblivious to scrambling possibilities until the attacker is finished with his moves.

That said, you should never assume he’ll forget and then not mention the possibility, because it sounds as though you’re playing a less experienced person and trying to slip a mickey.  Don’t take advantage of a player’s experience if it’s going to ruin the game environment or a friendship.  This is a beer and pretzels sort of game - bragging rights are only good if they’re going to want to play again.

When in doubt, consider Wheaton’s Law.

• '12

@kcdzim:

Bazinga!

• Sponsor

Don’t feel too sorry for my opponent. He is very experienced, competitive, and can kick my a•• any given Sunday. He just has problems identifying scramble opportunities which I will be taking full advantage of, until he brightens up. No worrys about us fighting over it, A&A is a great game, but it’s not near strong enough to get between our friendship.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Young:

OK, thankyou.

A)  If this is a friendly game and you play many games with this person, warn him that he needs to pay better attention and that “this is the last time I’m going to remind you of my scramble possibilities, you need to keep track of where my airbases are and assume, if you attack adjacent sea zones, that I will be scrambling to defend them.”

B)  If this is a league or tournament game, tell him to stuff it.

C)  Either way, inform him that combat moves are final once dice fall. You might want to be nice and let him off for the current round, especially if in the scenario presented in case A.

@Young:

According to the actual rules, your opponent should be moving his units to the defender side of the “battle board” and thus, if he does not move any scrambled fighters, then they are not scrambled.  However, refer to the above, you might want to ask if he wants to scramble.  This is almost a rule for online play, since there is no battle board.

@moralecheck:

@kcdzim:

Bazinga!

I know bazinga, but I don’t know Wheaton’s Law…

• @Cmdr:

@moralecheck:

@kcdzim:

Bazinga!

I know bazinga, but I don’t know Wheaton’s Law…

“Don’t be a dick”

• OOB-Rules

UK sz110. 1 Destroyer, 2 Submarines

Germany enters sz110 with 1 Tactical and 3 loaded transport.

Can Germany do an amphibious assault?

Is the Seazone hostile until the Destroyer is removed or until all the combatmoves are completely done?

• @Wirre:

OOB-Rules

UK sz110. 1 Destroyer, 2 Submarines

Germany enters sz110 with 1 Tactical and 3 loaded transport.

Can Germany do an amphibious assault?

Is the Seazone hostile until the Destroyer is removed or until all the combatmoves are completely done?

Per Alpha rules:  Germany could NEVER do an amphibious assault in that instance.  They have absolutely no method of removing the submarines from the board, and you WILL have battle as the UK destroyer makes the seazone hostile.  Even if the UK didn’t have the destroyer, the 2 subs alone would have prevented the amphibious assault unless germany brought a surface warship with them.  That tac can only hit the destroyer, and if, in the best circumstances, the destroyer and subs missed and the Tac hit, Germany must retreat or they eventually will lose three transports.

Per OOB rules:  Germany could NEVER do an amphibious assault in that instance.  They have absolutely no method of removing the submarines from the board, and you WILL have battle as the UK destroyer makes the seazone hostile.  Once you’re in combat, the subs have no reason to submerge and combat won’t be resolved until there are no legal targets remaining. Since sub rolls count as hits to transports when there’s no other targets, eventually they’ll kill the transports unless Germany retreats, leaving the Tac alive but alone (if it managed to kill the destroyer without getting shot itself).

AND in OOB I think the UK gets to perform the sub sneak attack rule (not to be confused with the surprise strike rule) against the transports, rolling three dice and hitting on a roll of 2 or better (I’m out of practice with the sneak attack at this point as it’s been sacked as a rule).  So….  SUPER bad idea.

That all said, there may be a fundamental misunderstanding of the rules going on here:

You cannot send a tactical bomber to attack a destroyer and two subs in order to kill the destroyer and then send 3 transports through in the same turn as a combat move.

All combat moves are performed before any dice are rolled.  if you want to perform an amphib assault, that’s a combat move.  So the tactical and three transports need to move into SZ110.  then, during the combat phase, the tactical and 3 transports fight the destroyer and subs.  It’s impossible to clean up the destroyer to make it legal to do the amphibious assault, unless you had some way to also destroy the subs in the same combat (you don’t) and you put the transports in harms way in the process.

• i believe as per OOB rules(this was corrected in the first alpha) that subs get one shot at trns, then they get to unload, this was something that rules-nazis took advantage of, but it is in the “rules” i guess. Btw, this is not an official answer, but i dont ever recommend that as it is cheap, and a dick move.

• @Young:

A&A is a great game, but it’s not near strong enough to get between our friendship.

A&A has the potential of getting between any friendship, played enough times.

• @thatonekid:

i believe as per OOB rules(this was corrected in the first alpha) that subs get one shot at trns, then they get to unload, this was something that rules-nazis took advantage of, but it is in the “rules” i guess. Btw, this is not an official answer, but i dont ever recommend that as it is cheap, and a dick move.

OK, so each sub would get a single roll, hitting on a two or less.  and after surviving, then they could amphib.  But again, that’s only if there was no defending surface warship as well.  because there was a destroyer, not only do the subs get a shot each (sneak attack), the transports are now in a seazone with a destroyer AND subs, and the tactical bomber can only hit the destroyer.  The amphibious assault cannot occur until after combat in the seazone, and the submarines can NEVER be taken as casualties.  since the subs will continue to fire and have no reason to submerge (they cannot be hit, so no matter what, eventually they’ll kill the transports), and because once combat is declared the transports can’t ignore the subs, there’s absolutely NO way that the amphibious assault can continue.

• @kcdzim:

@thatonekid:

i believe as per OOB rules(this was corrected in the first alpha) that subs get one shot at trns, then they get to unload, this was something that rules-nazis took advantage of, but it is in the “rules” i guess. Btw, this is not an official answer, but i dont ever recommend that as it is cheap, and a dick move.

OK, so each sub would get a single roll, hitting on a two or less.  and after surviving, then they could amphib.  But again, that’s only if there was no defending surface warship as well.  because there was a destroyer, not only do the subs get a shot each (sneak attack), the transports are now in a seazone with a destroyer AND subs, and the tactical bomber can only hit the destroyer.  The amphibious assault cannot occur until after combat in the seazone, and the submarines can NEVER be taken as casualties.  since the subs will continue to fire and have no reason to submerge (they cannot be hit, so no matter what, eventually they’ll kill the transports), and because once combat is declared the transports can’t ignore the subs, there’s absolutely NO way that the amphibious assault can continue.

It’s only possible if the defender submerges and the destroyer is removed. Which shouldn’t happen, but can.

• Sponsor

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

A&A is a great game, but it’s not near strong enough to get between our friendship.

Accually, A&A makes our friendship stronger with each game we play.

• @Young:

More power to you

• @Young:

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

The way it should be Grasshopper. I know it brought my son and I closer because of spending time together…the key is remembering it is just a game and not worth ruining life’s relationships.

@Ol’:

@Young:

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

The way it should be Grasshopper. I know it brought my son and I closer because of spending time together…the key is remembering it is just a game and not worth ruining life’s relationships.

That’s trickier for kids.  Just started mine on Axis and Allies…(classic/vanilla.)  Got him D-Day for Christmas…should be interesting…Larry recommended it for a starter game, but I have no idea what’s it like.

• @Cmdr:

That’s trickier for kids.  Just started mine on Axis and Allies…(classic/vanilla.)  Got him D-Day for Christmas…should be interesting…Larry recommended it for a starter game, but I have no idea what’s it like.

Have fun playing a new game together!!  Maybe I should consider it (D-Day with the kids) as well!

• D-Day was fun to play for a change of pace, it only takes a fraction of the time to play that Global does. But I think of it more as a kid version of the full thing, would make a brilliant gift. Larry’s 100% right on there.

C

• @Cmdr:

@Ol’:

@Young:

@Gamerman01:

@Young:

He started with Spring 1942 at age 13. It only took him a year or so to win. Now he is a sophomore in college and it is a toss-up between us when we play AA50 on here. Hopefully I get some more G40 experience before we play that version  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m