• Sponsor

Thanks, thats a tricky one.

• @Young:

Definitely.  I’ve listened at Krieg’s feet long enough that I know my way through a lot of these messes….

• Sponsor

@gamerman01:

@Young:

Definitely.  I’ve listened at Krieg’s feet long enough that I know my way through a lot of these messes….

me (allies) and my buddy (axis) got into an argument about it last weekend, I read him the rule book and convinced him I was right (liberating territories when a friendly capital is under enemy control). Well, you just proved me wrong and now I gotta put my tail between my legs and let him know. Where does the rule book mention that UK is an exception to the rule? is it in political situations?

• Sponsor

Does anyone know where A&A Global 1940 Ranks on most top 100 board game lists?

• @Young:

@gamerman01:

@Young:

me (allies) and my buddy (axis) got into an argument about it last weekend, I read him the rule book and convinced him I was right (liberating territories when a friendly capital is under enemy control). Well, you just proved me wrong and now I gotta put my tail between my legs and let him know. Where does the rule book mention that UK is an exception to the rule? is it in political situations?

I cannot point you to the exact errata, I would suggest perusing the Alpha 2 rules or the FAQ on Larry Harris’ website.  One excellent reason for the rule, and something that helps not only understand it but make other UK Europe/Pacific rules less challenging, is to always remember that UK territories on the Europe board go to London and Pacific board territories go to India.  This makes counting IPC’s much easier too.  Always-always-always.

Another way to look at it is, how could India liberate these UK territories for India?  They are on the Europe map and London would want control of them even if they cannot collect.  Also all units are UK units and not UK pacific or UK Europe.

• Sponsor

Good point.

• @Young:

Global 1940 specifically?  Probably none and it probably won’t ever.  There aren’t any “official” lists for that sort of thing - most are user generated based on reviews, etc, on sites like BGG.  And because A&A 1940 Global is a far more niche market than even A&A 1942, I doubt it could ever crack a top 100 that appeals to a FAR wider audience.

A&A classic, which can probably be interchanged with Revised or 1942 updates, might make a few.  But really, we’re talking a LOT of competition with games that are more accessible, more nuanced, or quite frankly, more fun even when you’re losing and don’t suffer from avalanches of defeat - “German Games” like  Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Settlers of Catan, Powergrid, etc will always rank higher.  Even Roborally usually gets notice before A&A.  And that doesn’t even take into account the family boardgames (clue, sorry, parcheesi), Card and CCGs (MtG, Apples to Apples, Munchkin - most lists usually make exceptions and include card or CCGs now).  And games like Small World or Kill Dr Lucky, which are great for fast, fun diversions usually get a place first.  Plus I’d imagine Risk makes it on a list before A&A.

This is not meant to dismiss A&A - I loves it, but it definately appeals to a very select type of gamer.

• Sponsor

@kcdzim:

@Young:

Global 1940 specifically?  Probably none and it probably won’t ever.  There aren’t any “official” lists for that sort of thing - most are user generated based on reviews, etc, on sites like BGG.  And because A&A 1940 Global is a far more niche market than even A&A 1942, I doubt it could ever crack a top 100 that appeals to a FAR wider audience.

A&A classic, which can probably be interchanged with Revised or 1942 updates, might make a few.  But really, we’re talking a LOT of competition with games that are more accessible, more nuanced, or quite frankly, more fun even when you’re losing and don’t suffer from avalanches of defeat - “German Games” like  Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Settlers of Catan, Powergrid, etc will always rank higher.  Even Roborally usually gets notice before A&A.  And that doesn’t even take into account the family boardgames (clue, sorry, parcheesi), Card and CCGs (MtG, Apples to Apples, Munchkin - most lists usually make exceptions and include card or CCGs now).  And games like Small World or Kill Dr Lucky, which are great for fast, fun diversions usually get a place first.  Plus I’d imagine Risk makes it on a list before A&A.

This is not meant to dismiss A&A - I loves it, but it definately appeals to a very select type of gamer.

Great analysis, I guess a better question would be, “where does the A&A franchise rank on most top war game lists”?

• Sorry to step in and commit that which I am going to speak badly of.

Lets keep the mindless chatter out of the FAQ thread though?  Go post a new thread or even try and take over another one, but don’t put posts like, what’s your favorite color or something about favorite boardgames in the FAQ.  This is for Frequently Asked Questions and we are thankfully blessed with the help of Kreighund, an actual developer for the game.  But we don’t want him to leave the site and the FAQ that he peruses just because its getting filled up with worthless trivia that is only interesting to a few people.  Thankfully here in the FAQ thread we pull interest from all A&A players, because they want to understand the rules better.

EDIT:

Perhaps a bit too honest, call this brutally honest. :)  Really though just trying to nip digressions in the bud.

Sure 450th, theres a bit more mindless chatter 3 posts after this one.  Its right after the first one sentence not relating to rules questions regarding A&A.  It also doesn’t have anything to do with rules questions.  Its by some little fart named 450th something or other.

• Sponsor

@JimmyHat:

Sorry to step in and commit that which I am going to speak badly of.

Lets keep the mindless chatter out of the FAQ thread though?  Go post a new thread or even try and take over another one, but don’t put posts like, what’s your favorite color or something about favorite boardgames in the FAQ.  This is for Frequently Asked Questions and we are thankfully blessed with the help of Kreighund, an actual developer for the game.  But we don’t want him to leave the site and the FAQ that he peruses just because its getting filled up with worthless trivia that is only interesting to a few people.  Thankfully here in the FAQ thread we pull interest from all A&A players, because they want to understand the rules better.

Fair enough. However, I think “the mindless chatter” comment was unnessasary, in fact your whole post could have been said differently.

• Yeah, it wasn’t rules questions, but it wasn’t “mindless chatter”.

• tell me where you see ‘‘Mindless Chatter’’ JimmyHat

• Sponsor

@gamerman01:

Yeah, it wasn’t rules questions, but it wasn’t “mindless chatter”.

Gamerman, where do you think would be a good place to post the topic in question?

• @gamerman01:

Wow, an official mention of Alpha 3?  That piques MY interest!  (But not enough to go scouring over Larry’s site finding tidbits yet  :-P)

has the release of alpha 3 been moved closer than “THE DAY AFTER NEVER”

• @Young:

@gamerman01:

Gamerman, where do you think would be a good place to post the topic in question?

Um, I’d go with General Discussion, since it’s not about a specific version of A&A.

Hey Jimmy most of us appreciate your sentiments - that you don’t want other stuff cluttering up the FAQ thread.  Just ask a moderator to go through the thread and delete posts that have nothing to do with answering FAQ questions.  It can be cleaned up by a moderator, and then all of us don’t have to be super careful to never post anything non-FAQ related.

• @JamesAleman:

@JimmyHat:

I have a further clarification I would like for the CV example.  Say the CV was attacked by only subs.  They get 1 hit on the CV.  do the ftrs still perish or are they aboard the damaged CV because they couldn’t fight the subs anyways.  Remember this is in open waters.

This is a quick reply if you are looking for one. Not Official.

During a combat, defending air units on board carriers in that sea zone are considered airborne regardless of if their combat dice get applied to units, people normally don’t roll dice for them if only subs remain and they have no destroyer per the sub special abilities.

The damaged carrier can not land planes. The planes get 1 movement point to reach a landing site. Failure results in removal.

Also, to address allied planes on your carrier if it comes up:

During your combat move, air units on board a carrier are considered airborne if they are yours, they are considered cargo if not. This prevents your air units from “riding” on the carrier, and then “launching”. Hence your planes have 4 movement from where they begin the turn, not where the carrier ends up.

Since this was a defensive battle, any allied planes were airborne to help defend as allied units defend together, allied planes are only cargo if your carrier enters combat through its combat move. If that were the case, they would be stuck on the carrier until repaired should damage be applied and lost if the carrier is lost.

Since that is not the case in your question, they have 1 space to move. Your planes are never cargo on your ships.

I have seen 1 carrier and 2 planes destroyed many times by 1 or 2 attacking subs. Always build a destroyer with the carrier (cost is 24 combined) when enemy subs are near to prevent this.

Very clear answer. I love it when I can use my subs against a carrier that has no destroyer cover!

• @gamerman01:

@Young:

@gamerman01:

Um, I’d go with General Discussion, since it’s not about a specific version of A&A.

Hey Jimmy most of us appreciate your sentiments - that you don’t want other stuff cluttering up the FAQ thread.  Just ask a moderator to go through the thread and delete posts that have nothing to do with answering FAQ questions.  It can be cleaned up by a moderator, and then all of us don’t have to be super careful to never post anything non-FAQ related.

he asked the question about global 1940, which is a specific game.

• @gamerman01:

Wow, I’ve been wondering if anyone did that.  When I started reading this thread it was page 70, and now we’re in the 100’s.  I’m glad to see someone take care of this thread, its a resource to the A&A gaming community and therefore should at least occasionally(once every few years) be straightened out and cleaned.  I have and will again offer my services in this regard if the current FAQ janitor is out/too busy.  We could probably chop this thread down to 40 pages or so and really get some useful information for us, the players.  Of course right now this thread is close to half a jumble of worthlessness.  Sure would be nice if /someone/ went through and cleaned house.

• whats really funny is you dont know what my username stands for

• Sponsor

As much as I am guilty of recently cluttering up the FAQs thread, I am in favor of cleaning house, so that I can begin reading from page 1 all posts that matter, and finish the whole thread this year.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m