• Question which may have been asked before, not sure. Suppose my fighter is on a friendly carrier. If that friendly carrier moves 2 spaces in its turn, can I still move my fighter 4 spaces in my turn? The same goed for the other way around. When I land my fighter on a friendly carrier after moving 4 spaces, can the carrier move 2 more in its own turn? This would imply my fighter has moved 6 spaces before my next turn. Thanks

• @Admiral:

Question which may have been asked before, not sure. Suppose my fighter is on a friendly carrier. If that friendly carrier moves 2 spaces in its turn, can I still move my fighter 4 spaces in my turn? The same goed for the other way around. When I land my fighter on a friendly carrier after moving 4 spaces, can the carrier move 2 more in its own turn? This would imply my fighter has moved 6 spaces before my next turn. Thanks

Yes.  your unit movement does not affect other players movement.

• That’s one of the advantages to landing on your ally’s carrier.

Disadvantages include:

1. Plane is cargo if your ally attacks with the carrier.  It takes up landing space preventing your ally from landing his planes on his own carrier, and if he takes his carrier as a casualty, your plane(s) goes down with it.
    2. Gap in switching planes back
      US lands planes on UK carrier.  When the US decides it needs the planes elsewhere (or they attack and are destroyed) then the UK fleet is not as well defended between the USA turn and the UK turn.  Germany goes in between and has a better shot on the fleet, before the UK gets a chance to fly her own planes onto the vacated spots. (AA50 example)  In Alpha3 the US and UK go back to back!!?? but between UK and US, Germany and Japan go.  You get the idea.

So yes, you can effectively move a fighter 6 spaces in a game round using allied carriers, but not without some potential disadvantages!

• '12

Disadvantage 1a) If your ally attacks with with his carrier and it gets damaged while your fighter/tac is on it as cargo, your fighter/tac is stuck on board until the carrier gets repaired.

• @moralecheck:

Disadvantage 1a) If your ally attacks with with his carrier and it gets damaged while your fighter/tac is on it as cargo, your fighter/tac is stuck on board until the carrier gets repaired.

Yes, thank you.  Been playing AA50 exclusively lately.  I’d better be more careful when posting to the 1940 threads.

• On page 9 of the 1940 Pacific manual:1st sentence, second paragraph under Political Situation on the bottom left side of the page: it states that UK/Anzac may take possession of Dutch territories and French Indo China….is that true in Global? I never noticed before last night that you can grab FIC also.

• @JamesAleman:

On page 9 of the 1940 Pacific manual:1st sentence, second paragraph under Political Situation on the bottom left side of the page: it states that UK/Anzac may take possession of Dutch territories and French Indo China….is that true in Global? I never noticed before last night that you can grab FIC also.

They cannot take control of FIC unless Japan seizes the territory first.  Otherwise it will remain French.

• Official Q&A

The Political Situation rules in the Pacific Rulebook have been entirely replaced with those in the Pacific FAQ.

• @Ruanek:

@garett:

Can you move 2 (with mech or tanks) onto a transport?

Can you move 2 (with mech or tanks) off of a transport?

I’m not really sure what your question is.

A transport can hold 1 of any land unit, plus one (non-mechanized) infantry.  So it can have a tank/mech. infantry/artillery/AA gun/infantry and an infantry.  It can’t hold both a tank and a mechanized infantry.  If they’re being loaded in the same turn, it has to be in the same phase (both during the combat phase or both during the non-combat phase) and they have to be offloaded in the same phase as well.  If they’re being loaded and offloaded in the same turn it has to be within the same phase (you can’t load in the combat phase and offload in that turn’s non-combat phase).

Edit: It seems that your post may be better answered below, depending on what exactly the question was.

Does this mean that a transport can hold 2 artillery? or is it 1 infantry and 1 tank/artillery/mech./AA gun/infantry?

• @Juhlius:

@Ruanek:

@garett:

Can you move 2 (with mech or tanks) onto a transport?

Can you move 2 (with mech or tanks) off of a transport?

I’m not really sure what your question is.

A transport can hold 1 of any land unit, plus one (non-mechanized) infantry.  So it can have a tank/mech. infantry/artillery/AA gun/infantry and an infantry.  It can’t hold both a tank and a mechanized infantry.  If they’re being loaded in the same turn, it has to be in the same phase (both during the combat phase or both during the non-combat phase) and they have to be offloaded in the same phase as well.  If they’re being loaded and offloaded in the same turn it has to be within the same phase (you can’t load in the combat phase and offload in that turn’s non-combat phase).

Edit: It seems that your post may be better answered below, depending on what exactly the question was.

Does this mean that a transport can hold 2 artillery? or is it 1 infantry and 1 tank/artillery/mech./AA gun/infantry?

No.  It can hold one unit of any type plus one infantry.  So it could have 2 infantry, an infantry or an artillery, an infantry and a mech. infantry, an infantry and a tank, or an infantry and an AA gun.

• '10

It is proper use of a transport to do the following:

Load a German on an italian Tnp, then on the Italian turn, the Italian loads in the combat move and unleads in the same combat move with the same tnp, leaving the German on the tnp?

In other words, is a tnp with a friendly on it able to participate in amphibious combat activity so long as it leaves the friendly on board as cargo?

• @DutchmanD:

It is proper use of a transport to do the following:

Load a German on an italian Tnp, then on the Italian turn, the Italian loads in the combat move and unleads in the same combat move with the same tnp, leaving the German on the tnp?

In other words, is a tnp with a friendly on it able to participate in amphibious combat activity so long as it leaves the friendly on board as cargo?

Yes

• I have a question.  On the turn that Japan declares war on UK/Anzac, can they move through zones that have UK or Anzac or US destroyers during the combat movement phase, or do those zones turn hostile the moment the DOW occurs and before the combat move phase?

Cheers

• @LuckyLindy:

I have a question.  On the turn that Japan declares war on UK/Anzac, can they move through zones that have UK or Anzac or US destroyers during the combat movement phase, or do those zones turn hostile the moment the DOW occurs and before the combat move phase?

Cheers

Seazones occupied by UK/ANZAC turn hostile the moment the DOW occurs, which is before any move is made.  Thus, Japan cannot move through any seazone that includes any UK/ANZAC surface warship (destroyers, but also carriers, cruisers, and battleships).  US ships remain neutral and are ignored in combat or treated as nonhostile in seazones, and thus do not block movement until a state of war exists between US and Japan (which does not yet exist in your specific example as you only specified declaring war on UK/ANZAC and that does not immediately trigger the US).

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@LuckyLindy:

I have a question.  On the turn that Japan declares war on UK/Anzac, can they move through zones that have UK or Anzac or US destroyers during the combat movement phase, or do those zones turn hostile the moment the DOW occurs and before the combat move phase?

Cheers

You may move out of sea zones that become hostile upon declaring war. You may load transports in said sea zones on the first round in which you have declared war and use them for amphibious assaults elsewhere, you may attack the enemy in the newly minted hostile Sea Zone.

You may not move through enemy sea zones for any reason.

Japan may declare war on any specific powers it chooses to do so, and, treat all other nations they have not declared war upon (or had war declared on them from) as neutral.  Thus, if you never invaded the FIC, and never specifically declared war on France, you might be able to fool your opponent into thinking the French Destroyer is blocking your attack, when it is not.  I’ve done this once in the past.  It works, because the French destroyer is neutral.

• I agree with kcd
    In reference to his Q&A:

Note that if US ships are in the same zone as UK or ANZAC ships and Japan just DOW’d UK/ANZAC, the US ships are not part of the battle.  They cannot defend as the USA is still neutral.  DOW by USA on Japan is not allowed until USA turn, and this is Japan’s turn.

• Thanks all for the quick, helpful responses.

Cheers

• so if there is a japanese fleet, and i move a uk des there in peace, if he declares war next round, can he load the transports??? i thought you couldnt load in a hostile zone

• @thatonekid:

so if there is a japanese fleet, and i move a uk des there in peace, if he declares war next round, can he load the transports??? i thought you couldnt load in a hostile zone

You can’t except this is the one exception.  When you declare war, you can load units in a hostile zone (but without moving a transport before loading) that was not hostile until your DOW.

It’s in the sidebar in the rulebook on page 15, last paragraph.

• I have a question regarding flying over a neutral:
    The question is based on this scenario:

• I stage US bombers on (Dutch controlled) Suriname (in South America).

• The US makes an amphibious assault on Spain.

1. Does this end Spain’s neutral status then or later?.

• The US bombers seek to fly over Spain and attack France during the same combat phase.

• This leaves enough movement to just land in US occupied Holland.

2. Are the US bombers prohibited from flying over Spain during the combat move of the turn Spain was attacked?
    3. Are the US bombers prohibited from flying over Spain during the noncombat move of the turn Spain was attacked?

4. Are the US bombers prohibited from flying over Spain during the noncombat move of the turn Spain was captured?

Thank you for your answers and insights in advance.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m