• @Vir:

So in the future do not reply to any of my questions.

Gamerman serves as a defacto rule wonk if Krieg doesn’t get to it in his “official” capacity. So asking him not to reply to further questions probably won’t buy you many favors if you have a lot of questions, especially when he’s trying to quickly stop Jenn’s well intentioned but VERY wrong answer.

and it’s really not that ambiguous.  If Moscow can’t collect IPCs because their capital is gone, then the IPCs are gone.  And since they could not possibly get their capital back in time, it would not be the “turn following” anymore when they happened to collect income again.  So, simply, it’s never collected.

• @kcdzim:

@Vir:

So in the future do not reply to any of my questions.

Gamerman serves as a defacto rule wonk if Krieg doesn’t get to it in his “official” capacity. So asking him not to reply to further questions probably won’t buy you many favors if you have a lot of questions, especially when he’s trying to quickly stop Jenn’s well intentioned but VERY wrong answer.

and it’s really not that ambiguous.  If Moscow can’t collect IPCs because their capital is gone, then the IPCs are gone.  And since they could not possibly get their capital back in time, it would not be the “turn following” anymore when they happened to collect income again.  So, simply, it’s never collected.

I appreciate what your saying, my point was the commentary wasn’t necessary, after all the F in FAQ does stand for Frequently.  Anyway your interpretation makes my point, we now have 3 different interpretations, Jen who says Germany gets the money, you say the money is just gone (this is my take on it as well) and Gamer who says Russia gets the money.

• @Vir:

… and Gamer who says Russia gets the money.

No, he didn’t say that, nor imply it.  He was correcting Jen, who said that Russia collects immediately.

He quoted the National Objective, which states specifically that Russia collects at the beginning of its next turn. However, it is also specifically in the rules that if you don’t have a capital, you don’t collect anything.  Gamerman didn’t point that out because that rule is very specific and very firm - there are no exceptions, even national objectives that are delayed or triggered.

And to most firmly reiterate: Jenn’s statement is false.  The rules was specifically written so that Germany CANNOT snag this bonus if Japan starts the war as you describe.

• Official Q&A

@kcdzim:

However, it is also specifically in the rules that if you don’t have a capital, you don’t collect anything.

That’s not exactly true.  If you don’t have a capital, you don’t collect income (including NOs).  However, you can collect IPCs that are not income, such as plunder from an enemy capital.

In Alpha+.2, the IPCs from breaking the Soviet-Japanese non-aggression pact are classified as NOs, so they would not be collected by anyone under the circumstances being discussed.  However, they will be re-classified as non-income in Alpha+.3, so they will be collected whether or not the power controls its capital.  Spending them is, of course, another matter.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Krieghund:

@kcdzim:

However, it is also specifically in the rules that if you don’t have a capital, you don’t collect anything.

That’s not exactly true.  If you don’t have a capital, you don’t collect income (including NOs).  However, you can collect IPCs that are not income, such as plunder from an enemy capital.

In Alpha+.2, the IPCs from breaking the Soviet-Japanese non-aggression pact are classified as NOs, so they would not be collected by anyone under the circumstances being discussed.  However, they will be re-classified as non-income in Alpha+.3, so they will be collected whether or not the power controls its capital.  Spending them is, of course, another matter.

I was just going to mention that China, also, does not have a capitol and collects income all the time. =p

I know it doesn’t apply to Russia because they literally do have a capitol, but I don’t care, I feel contrarian today!

• Wow, an official mention of Alpha 3?  That piques MY interest!  (But not enough to go scouring over Larry’s site finding tidbits yet  :-P)

• @Krieghund:

yeah…  I knew as I wrote “anything” that that was going to come back at me.  I even thought about editing it.  I should have…

@gamerman01:

Wow, an official mention of Alpha 3?  That piques MY interest!  (But not enough to go scouring over Larry’s site finding tidbits yet  :-P)

So far it seems that there is agreement to move one of America’s NOs out of the Pacific and make it Eurocentric.  This to end the, so far, OverPowered American Pac-Strat (in part) and to encourage America to spend some moeny in the Atlantic.

Larry’s current thought is leaning towards 2 IPC per American transport in the N. Atlantic/C. Atlantic up to 6 IPC.  There are also changes to SBR (no details yet) and some other minor things.  As for concrete changes that you can go find, Gamer, none yet.

• @Cmdr:

Larry’s current thought is leaning towards 2 IPC per American transport in the N. Atlantic/C. Atlantic up to 6 IPC.

Thankfully from the sound of it, it’s a specific seazone or zones that haven’t yet been determined, which implies it won’t simply be on the East Coast.  I’m hoping they won’t be adjacent to the UK, so we actually see some roving subs that can’t be scrambled on.  Maybe 108, 118, 104 and 124, which would also limit any subsequent movement to 2 as well.  I get the feeling Germany will still need some breathing room.

• I have some confusion with the sz connections from one map to the next.  How many moves does it take to get from Wus to Eus for the US?  Which territories connect to others on the opposite board?

@kcdzim:

@Cmdr:

Larry’s current thought is leaning towards 2 IPC per American transport in the N. Atlantic/C. Atlantic up to 6 IPC.

Thankfully from the sound of it, it’s a specific seazone or zones that haven’t yet been determined, which implies it won’t simply be on the East Coast.  I’m hoping they won’t be adjacent to the UK, so we actually see some roving subs that can’t be scrambled on.  Maybe 108, 118, 104 and 124, which would also limit any subsequent movement to 2 as well.  I get the feeling Germany will still need some breathing room.

It’s been suggested for specific sea zones, I don’t think Larry’s weighed in yet.

Honestly, I’d rather see W. France and either Holland or Greece.

• @kcdzim:

@Vir:

… and Gamer who says Russia gets the money.

No, he didn’t say that, nor imply it.

That’s not correct, re-read his statment, he states the rule Russia collects the money at the beginning of their next turn, no where in there does he say Russia doesn’t get the money, which, as you and I rightly interpreted, turns out to be the case.

@gamerman01:

Wrong

Does anyone read rules anymore?  This is straight from the Alpha2 rules I printed out from Larry’s site.  Took me 30 seconds to find the paper and read it.

Under Soviet Union NO’s:
    #4 “Collect 12 IPC’s, once, at the beginning of the turn following a declaration of war by Japan on the Soviet Union.  Theme: Recognized national emergency.”

Really, no interpretation or FAQ needed.  Just read the rules.  No offense meant, Vir, you just happened to be the hundredth person that’s asked a question that’s VERY clearly stated in the rules and is completely unambiguous.  Sometimes I think people don’t read the rulebooks anymore, they just learn how to play games from other people….  :-)

And Jenn, if you can’t answer basic questions correctly and you’re always saying “I think”, then why are you answering questions on the FAQ thread?

• @Cmdr:

@gamerman01:

Wow, an official mention of Alpha 3?  That piques MY interest!  (But not enough to go scouring over Larry’s site finding tidbits yet  :-P)

So far it seems that there is agreement to move one of America’s NOs out of the Pacific and make it Eurocentric.  This to end the, so far, OverPowered American Pac-Strat (in part) and to encourage America to spend some moeny in the Atlantic.

Larry’s current thought is leaning towards 2 IPC per American transport in the N. Atlantic/C. Atlantic up to 6 IPC.  There are also changes to SBR (no details yet) and some other minor things.  As for concrete changes that you can go find, Gamer, none yet.

Thanks for the summary, Jenn!!

• Yo Vir!  kcd is right - I assumed that everyone knew that if Russia fell during Germany’s turn which comes between Japan’s and Russia’s, that Russia could not collect any income (including the 12 IPCs)!  Who doesn’t know that when your capital is down, you can’t collect any NO’s, you know?

@gamerman01:

Yo Vir!  kcd is right - I assumed that everyone knew that if Russia fell during Germany’s turn which comes between Japan’s and Russia’s, that Russia could not collect any income (including the 12 IPCs)!  Who doesn’t know that when your capital is down, you can’t collect any NO’s, you know?

Beijing is under Japanese control from the outset, yet China may collect income any time they have territories from which to collect income for.  Further, London is LITERALLY the capitol of India as well, yet India may collect income even though London may be under German control.  So there are situations where the capitol rule does not apply, specifically, when there are special rules involved.  The non-aggression agreement is one such rule, it is special, no other country has a rule like this, therefore, does it apply to the capitol rules or the special rule?

Hence the confusion!

Before attacking someone (and I think Vir saw it as not only an attack on him but on me too) I recommend calming down and attempting to see why there is confusion.  It’ll help you clear it up.  And no, the rules are not explicit nor implicit here, as Vir showed you in your own quotation.

Remember, there are people confused by many rules because Mr. Larry H. isn’t the worlds best explainer of rules, which is why this site and this thread exist!  If everything was black and white, the FAQ thread would only have the opening post, not 107 pages of posts (and counting!)

As for keeping you updated, no problemo Chummer.  I started a thread, hopefully we can all kind of post in there and keep the community appraised of what is being discussed…or not.

• cough

anyone know which sz’s connect with which other sz’s in the Western Hemisphere?  I’m a bit confused about movement from Panama west.

SZ 64 connects to SZ 11
    SZ 65 connects with SZ 28
    SZ 66 connects with SZ 51

I would say, “I think” but Gamer would get pissed. =p

The essence of your question I THINK is you cannot get from SZ 101 to SZ 10 in one round.

• Game occurrence was german fleet grabbing Panama and heading towards Australia.

So you are saying sz 52 does not border the edge?  This might make things a bit simpler but I will need to find a new road for ANZAC ships to the atlantic.

I prefer my ANZAC ships to take over convoy duty for my American ships…to be honest.

• Page 32 in the Europe 1940 Rulebook answers all my Q’s about movement between boards and what sea zones are adjacent

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m