• Official Q&A

@Sid:

I’m a little confused by this response.  Can I assume it to mean that if the transport accompanies the battle group, the units on the transport must make the landing during the combat phase or not at all.  If the transport does not accompany the battle group, it could move and unload cargo in th enewly acquired territory during NCM.

That’s correct.

@gamerman01:

If Japan declared war on France and for some reason did not take FIC, then would it be an act of war against Japan for the UK to move anything into FIC, just as it is to move anything into China?

Or maybe a better example - if Japan declares war on France and takes FIC, is it an act of war for ANZ or UK to land on New Hebrides?  Or even on French territory in Europe or Africa??  Pretty sure not, but this FIC question got me to thinking…

No.

• Question:

If allies land in Crete, does rest of Greece join allied cause?  Same with Iran, does capture of one location activate the country or do you have to mosey your way on down…inform the soldiers by word of mouth?

thx!!

**Edit: One other observation as I surf this ‘FAQ’, there sure is a lot of b.s. in here!:)  Perhaps its time to make a new thread and close this one, that way someone can spend an hour (I’ll help) culling all the worthless trite outta here!  Repeated questions, ‘witty’ banter…and this part right here…

***Edit:2!  Wow thats a fast answer!  thanks a bunch.  Thats too bad that the countries don’t act as minor powers, I suppose that area is reserved for the special house rules with portugal/spain etc.

• Official Q&A

Each territory is treated independently.

• 1.  Scrambling alone can’t prevent loading of transports in combat move, can it?  Example - Allies want to pick up ground units from Greece from Z97 and then move.  Can Italian fighters scramble to prevent, or can only surface warships prevent pickup of units?

2.  Can I attack a sub and also pick up ground units from the same sea zone all in one combat move, or can I only pick up the units if I ignore the sub and let it go?  Is the answer the same for AA50?

From what I read on page 30 of the E40 manual, I think the answer is I can pick up ground units in both cases, when fighters at an airbase are adjacent (but no enemy surface warships) and also when a sub is present that I’m attacking, because neither constitutes an “unfriendly sea zone” as per page 30.  But not 100% sure, thanks.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Krieghund:

UK is not neutral, as it’s at war with Germany and Italy.  It can noncombat move into French Indo-China anytime that it wants, assuming that it’s Allied-controlled.

Japan would still get it’s FIC objective, right? (Assuming England or Australia just waltzes in without declaring war on Japan.)

• @Cmdr:

@Krieghund:

UK is not neutral, as it’s at war with Germany and Italy.  It can noncombat move into French Indo-China anytime that it wants, assuming that it’s Allied-controlled.

Japan would still get it’s FIC objective, right? (Assuming England or Australia just waltzes in without declaring war on Japan.)

The “FIC” objective involves not being at war with USA or making unprovoked war on UK/ANZ.  As long as Japan doesn’t INVADE FIC, is not at war with USA, and does not make unprovoked war on UK/ANZ it gets the 10.  Just read the Alpha2 NO rule carefully.  :-)

• Official Q&A

@gamerman01:

1.  Scrambling alone can’t prevent loading of transports in combat move, can it?  Example - Allies want to pick up ground units from Greece from Z97 and then move.  Can Italian fighters scramble to prevent, or can only surface warships prevent pickup of units?

2.  Can I attack a sub and also pick up ground units from the same sea zone all in one combat move, or can I only pick up the units if I ignore the sub and let it go?  Is the answer the same for AA50?

From what I read on page 30 of the E40 manual, I think the answer is I can pick up ground units in both cases, when fighters at an airbase are adjacent (but no enemy surface warships) and also when a sub is present that I’m attacking, because neither constitutes an “unfriendly sea zone” as per page 30.  But not 100% sure, thanks.

You’re right, you can.

@Cmdr:

@Krieghund:

UK is not neutral, as it’s at war with Germany and Italy.  It can noncombat move into French Indo-China anytime that it wants, assuming that it’s Allied-controlled.

Yes, as Japan has done nothing to void it.

• I can;t remember if this was asked before, but can scrambling aircraft retreat from battle?

• Official Q&A

No.  The defender can never retreat.

• I would really like my Italian fleet to be able to protect my German transports from a UK scramble while they unload in the UK. Is this possible? It would really help me out.

• @heimsath88:

I would really like my Italian fleet to be able to protect my German transports from a UK scramble while they unload in the UK. Is this possible? It would really help me out.

No, it is not possible.  When attacking, only the units of the power you are operating (Germany in this case) can be used.  Your allies’ military units are completely useless when attacking (except for carriers as places to land).  It is on defense that all allies’ units can be used (even multinational scrambling and guest fighters on carriers).

• What is the ruling on mixing the European British and the Pacific British units?  When one crosses into the other side of the board, does it change hands?

• @rogerfederer64:

What is the ruling on mixing the European British and the Pacific British units?  When one crosses into the other side of the board, does it change hands?

Welcome, new user!  All of your rules questions can be answered in this FAQ thread - one of the designers of the game (Krieghund), the official A&A rules answer guy, frequents this thread.  If someone like me were to give an incorrect or incomplete answer, he will correct it or supplement it, usually within 24 hours or less!

Only the economies are different.  All UK units act as one.  Don’t think of them as European British and Pacific British, because there is no distinction.

The money is kept separate so you can’t use all of the UK’s world-wide holdings to buy units in London or Calcutta.

The UK acts as one in all other ways.  If you score a breakthrough in tech, it affects the whole empire immediately.  With regards to tech, you can even spend some IPC’s with one economy and some from the other if you choose.  For example, you could spend 4 Calcutta IPC’s and 1 London IPC to buy a research token.

The other thing you have to watch is fallen capital rules.  I won’t detail them here - I may not even have it right, off the top of my head.

• Official Q&A

Welcome, rogerfederer64!

United Kingdom Europe and United Kingdom Pacific are not separate powers.  They are separate economies within the same power.  As such, the only things that they do separately are collect and spend IPCs.  This means that the Purchase & Repair Units, Mobilize New Units, and Collect Income phases of the United Kingdom turn are conducted separately for each economy, but all other phases of the turn are conducted together in the same manner as any other power, with no regard to map boundaries.  Once units are mobilized, there is no such thing as a “United Kingdom Europe unit” or a “United Kingdom Pacific unit”.  They are all just United Kingdom units, and they move and fight together as one.

• Ah ok, thank you both very much for your help.  We were confused as to how to operate the two and were operating them in seperate phases.  We had decided that when the units would cross the line under persia onto the pacific map, that they would turn into British Pacific units.  Thanks again for the clarification on that, we were so confused

• On the game aid for Alpha 2 (or .2?) it says that most NOs are only activated when at war, and then a couple are only available while neutral. For the “at war” ones, who does the country have to be at war with? Anyone? For example, is the UK Pacific NO, “5 IPCs when the UK controls all original Pacific territories”, only active while at war with Japan? Or is it active while at war with ANY Axis power, as they start at war with Italy and Germany?

• Official Q&A

If an NO mentions a specific power or powers, the receiving power must be at war with them in order to get it.  If no specific power or powers are mentioned, being at war with any power will do.  In the case of that specific UK NO, UK must be at war with Japan.

• question on UK  NO  for alpha +2 ruleset

“2. Collect 5 IPCs per turn if the United Kingdom controls all of its original territories in the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and Europe. Theme: Maintenance of the empire considered vital national objective.”

does the uk have to still control Malta & Crete in order to get the $5?

• Official Q&A

Yes.

• lets try this one Krieg……

Calcutta has fallen.  Does London collect IPC’s for any territory on the Pacific map?

or

1. can London purchase an IC for W.India?
    2. how about liberated territory?  Does London collect income from liberated territory?  If yes, I assume they could place an IC in that event.

2a)So if W.India was lost and then liberated, London could fianally place an IC there.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m