• I dunno about that, Germany can easily get into the high 50s low 60s, and so can Japan.  US is going to have its hands full splitting there builds effectively, and the US is the only one who can go toe to toe with those two.  Ignoring either theater will result in alot of pain for the allies with the way the NOs are worded.

• @bugoo:

What I mean by that is i could buy 2 mechs and a fighter for 18, or three tanks for 18.  I’ll take the mechs/fighter any day of the week.  And i’ll still have more units than russia because of my income being nearly double his, and I won’t have to waste as many units defending my coasts because UK/US need more surface ships to protect there transports.

Inf, art, mechs, and planes will win the day in russia for germany.  You don’t need tanks when you can afford to buy a fighter for every tank your opponent purchases, along with a mech.

Ugh, watch Russia move in some AA guns with the infantry stacks and I’ll watch you cry.

The opponent could also buy 1 tank/1 mech for the cost of one of your fighters.

• I think with A&A Global 1940 tanks are an even more important purchase than ever.  Being able to project force is key to winning any conflict.  With Tanks being able to to move two, you can certainly project farther than any other land unit (Mech’s must be supported by tanks of course).  With there being double the land territories as in anniversary there is certainly more places to project force.  Keeping your opponent guessing as to where the attacks will actually go is nearly as important as winning the battle. If your opponent must defend an extra two or three spaces because you have 3 or 4 tanks in a group (vs just 1 lets say), he’ll have to guard against flank attacks.  Of course any tank attack must be supported and Mech Inf seem to be great for the job.

By increasing the cost to 6, you will have to use tanks much more sparingly.  Infantry, artillery and Mech Inf will form the back bone of your army in Germany and Russia, but I think a wise general will use tanks as the fist.  Not to mention that Tac. Bombers add a bit more to attack as well.

I like the direction that Larry has taken with making the game more “combined arms” oriented.  This seems to me to be one of the more historical things to be added to the game.

• Also, the tank pieces are the coolest looking ones, so you will want to buy more to make your army look cool……

• TripleA

@Canuck12:

I won’t go through every example for you. Instead, I propose we play a forum game of europe 40 where you promise never to buy tanks and see if you can win the game.

@SAS:

The rumors of the death of the tank have been greatly exaggerated.  Hopefully this math helps you see that. :-)

@Plasticdeathbydice:

Anyway…I challenge anybody to win a game either as allies or axis without buying some tanks for either germany or russia…hell, a couple of tanks coming out of south africa will go a long way for the UK in africa too for that matter.

@LHoffman:

If two guys are playing Russia and Germany… the guy who buys tanks is gonna win. I’d like to prove it by playing someone who will buy few if any tanks… but I cannot.

@gamerman01:

I think anytime someone declares they will never buy a certain unit, they are just showing that they don’t understand the utility of that unit.

looks like canuck12, sas, plasticdeathbydice, lhoffman, and gamerman have called me out.

gamerman and i already have a game going.

canuck12, sas, plasticdeathbydice, and lhoffman if you have not changed your mind(or seen the light) i accept your challenge and would love to play you. you can buy tanks to your hearts’ content, and i will buy few if any tanks.

• Our play group has added a new twist to tanks to make them a little more useful.  Tanks are now allowed to BLITZ into unoccupied territoies during the NONCOMBAT MOVEMENT PHASE…  As long as they did not move or attack during the combat phase.

We love what this new capability adds to the game. It allows the tanks to perform like they did in the actual war. It makes them even more dangerous if you dont keep an extra layer of defense. It allows them to get behind the front line and cause some real problems.  Now they are worth every penny of the 6IPC’s and we find it just adds another demension to the game.

• I should clarify that we allow tanks to blitz into enemy territories that are unoccupied during the non-combat movement phase.  We are testing it now…see what happens.

• @Gravy:

I should clarify that we allow tanks to blitz into enemy territories that are unoccupied during the non-combat movement phase.  We are testing it now…see what happens.

I think that will help the axis more than the allies

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Gravy:

I should clarify that we allow tanks to blitz into enemy territories that are unoccupied during the non-combat movement phase.  We are testing it now…see what happens.

I think that will help the axis more than the allies

I think so too. Italy would normally clear pickets, and that’s hard enough for Russia to account for. If Germany can do it on it’s own, Russia won’t be able to hold a line very well any time there are tanks on the border.

• In all our games Moscow has only been taken once. It is a tough nut to crack because it is so far away…we are finding that Russia is tough to take down…we have yet to even see Stalingrad fall.  How can the Italians help in Russia when their hands are tied in the Med…if you lose the Med quickly Italy is done and hence game over.

Mind you we have played alot of Europe and only a few global games so maybe things are a little different with global.

• @Gravy:

In all our games Moscow has only been taken once. It is a tough nut to crack because it is so far away…we are finding that Russia is tough to take down…we have yet to even see Stalingrad fall.  How can the Italians help in Russia when their hands are tied in the Med…if you lose the Med quickly Italy is done and hence game over.

Mind you we have played alot of Europe and only a few global games so maybe things are a little different with global.

Fortunately for you, Larry has added a Major IC in Berlin, which should help.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Gravy:

In all our games Moscow has only been taken once. It is a tough nut to crack because it is so far away…we are finding that Russia is tough to take down…we have yet to even see Stalingrad fall.  How can the Italians help in Russia when their hands are tied in the Med…if you lose the Med quickly Italy is done and hence game over.

Fortunately for you, Larry has added a Major IC in Berlin, which should help.

Indeed, the Major IC in Berlin changes the game dramatically.  And Larry has made a whole sea change of rules and setup and NO’s to 1940, so the game is very different now.  All you guys need to play Alpha + ASAP because it’s going to be much better and more realistic.  See attached battlemap setup (v 1.02 ABattlemap).

Larry’s new rules -
    http://harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4035

1940 Alpha+ start.AAM

• Good work doing the setup, Gamerman. Anyway, I think that we should not play any modification until Larry makes a final decision (or at least one that is not changing each day)

I like the AB at Sicily. Now the allies have a incentive to follow the historical path … I hate when a game goes too sandbox

• @Funcioneta:

Good work doing the setup, Gamerman. Anyway, I think that we should not play any modification until Larry makes a final decision (or at least one that is not changing each day)

I know, he is changing it frequently (which is not totally a bad thing), but his intent is that we play this version and give him feedback.  No, don’t bother to change the module, but yes, do play this version.  It’s a vast improvement over the OOB, which is obvious even at first glance.

• TripleA

here is the 2 year old thread.

do people still buy tanks now in 2nd edition global40?

• Absolutely.  I and my opponents buy tanks regularly.

Recent example:
    It was Russia’s turn and I wanted to prevent my opponent from driving in to East Poland with Germany and Italy, because from there he can go north or south.
    I bought 6 tanks, 3 for Ukraine and 3 for Nov.  He was then unable to get into East Poland and had to go Baltic States instead.  I kept him out of the South through round 5, when he resigned.

Only tanks can move 2 spaces and attack at 3, which is much more powerful than mech infantry’s one.
    Also, transports can only carry one non-infantry unit.  The tank is the best one on offense and defense, so is the best unit even when taking islands.
    Also, there are times when you are limited to purchasing 3 units at a factory and you need strength in ground units.  Tanks are by far the best.
    Also, it takes a tank to allow mech infantry to blitz, 1 for 1.  No tanks, no blitzing with mechs.  Few tanks, little blitzing with mechs.
    Tanks are the only ground unit that can give the tac bomber its attack boost.  If your power has lost a lot of fighters as casualties and tacs far outnumber fighters, this is especially significant.
    Merely comparing the stats of move 2, cost 6, attack 3 and defend 3 with other units is to ignore an awful lot of considerations.  Tanks have many advantages, and are definitely worth the cost of 6, even though it seemed unreasonable when the rule change first came out.

Thanks for resurrecting the topic, allweneed.

• Well, you sure buy them en masse:

@gamerman01:

For the record, Allweneedislove has purchased 3 tanks on G1 and 5 tanks on G2 in a rematch against me where I won the first game.

Seems when the chips are down, even the preacher buys tanks.  Lots of them.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30122.0

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m