Pacific Changes, and how they could affect global balance, DOW, and other things

• @LHoffman:

@SAS:

Right, like calvin said, there could be an erratum.  They are talking about implementing some or all of these changes into the Pacific 1940 game.  If that happens, in the interest of keeping the global setup consistent with the setups from the Europe and Pacific 1940 games, whatever setup changes are made to the Pacific 1940 game will also be applied to the global game.  They already have a setup erratum for the Pacific 1940 game and that erratum already applies to the global game, this would simply expand that erratum.

True. If it is in Pacific errata, I would think it would have been put in the Global book… since there was such a time delay between the two games.

Is there someplace where the Pacific erratum setup is located? Yes, I figure in the Pacific 40 Errata, but can you give me a specific link, if you know where it is?

Look in the AAP40 FAQ in the P40 forum

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@calvinhobbesliker:

@LHoffman:

Is there someplace where the Pacific erratum setup is located? Yes, I figure in the Pacific 40 Errata, but can you give me a specific link, if you know where it is?

Look in the AAP40 FAQ in the P40 forum

Well, I knew that… but I will take a look. Thanks.

• '10

True. If it is in Pacific errata, I would think it would have been put in the Global book… since there was such a time delay between the two games.

these possible changes just came about in the last couple weeks.  way too late to put in Global book.  if you go to LH’s website, he’s having a discussion in regards to balancing out AAP40.

• Well, it sounds to me like if we don’t put the -NO thing we’ve been talking about for Japan and Russia, then the smart thing for Japan to do is just take down china and then swarm every last russian with their airforce. It would be a one time thing (probable the battle would only last about 1 round too) and then it’s like free 9 ipcs that Japan just advances over time into, along with not having to defend their northern border. Basically, i don’t think they should go for india until russia is wiped out. Anticipate Russia’s move. Don’t react to it.

• The AAP40 changes were posted for many to test these changes. They are not official. Please help test them for balance.

@johnnymarr:

these possible changes just came about in the last couple weeks.  way too late to put in Global book.  if you go to LH’s website, he’s having a discussion in regards to balancing out AAP40.

I see… Unfortunately I am not up to date on everything; Europe/Global rules, NOs etc… even some Pacific stuff. I just haven’t had the time to root around and read all the info.  :|

• I find it amusing reading about you fine folks wanting to change the global setup before you’ve had a chance to actually play it.

I have a feeling the out of box rules will do just fine with 18 Russians sitting near Manchuria. Not to mention the smaller complimentary force that will enter China from the west. And the minor complex in India that most will be sure to build.

If you’re going to complain that the initial playtesters didn’t do a great job, then lets not be premature when we get the chance to do the same. Which thankfully for most is only a few days away…

@General:

I find it amusing reading about you fine folks wanting to change the global setup before you’ve had a chance to actually play it.

I have a feeling the out of box rules will do just fine with 18 Russians sitting near Manchuria. Not to mention the smaller complimentary force that will enter China from the west. And the minor complex in India that most will be sure to build.

If you’re going to complain that the initial playtesters didn’t do a great job, then lets not be premature when we get the chance to do the same. Which thankfully for most is only a few days away…

I like your name.

• I like your name.

Awesome hockey player. And as such - the Wehrmacht is under strict orders to not cross the Swedish frontier…

@General:

I like your name.

Awesome hockey player. And as such - the Wehrmacht is under strict orders to not cross the Swedish frontier…

Well thank you, it is my own name after all.

Big Red Wings fan myself… I will defend Sweden with you.  :-D

• '10

I find it amusing reading about you fine folks wanting to change the global setup before you’ve had a chance to actually play it.

Larry is trying to balance AAP40, not AAE40.  He realized that the J1 attack was the best option for Japan, not 1 of 3 options for Japan.  He is trying to do this without changing the balance of Global.

• Precisely, global may well be better balanced, but Pacific 1940 (which has been out for about 9 months) gives Japan a distinct advantage.  This is what Larry (the game creator) is trying to fix.  In the interest of consistency (as I stated in my previous post), whatever setup changes are made to the Pacific setup will be the same in the global setup, thus the setup changes for Pacific must be tested in the global game as well.

• So far all the changes Larry has made would effect Global in the favour of the Allies. I saw one suggestion in the thread that wouldn’t have that large of an effect on Global, but would still balance the J1 attack. It was to move the SZ33 navy to SZ19, to prevent it from immediately joining the action. This, in addition to moving the UK transports back to safer waters and giving the ANZAC a naval base in NSW could balance Pacific and keep Global balanced too.

• I don’t think I’ll apply any change to pacific in the Global Game. And I bet I won’t be playing stand alone pacific '40 after euro 40 release, due to global playing.

But I’m sure I’ll like more the stand alone pacific 40 instead of the europe 40! So I guess I’ll apply the new adjustement only in the stand alone pacific.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m