• SAS, if you take a liking to Diplomacy, you might to also try its variant, Colonial Diplomacy.

• I saw online that it has many varients.  Is that an America based version or what?

• @SAS:

I saw online that it has many varients.  Is that an America based version or what?

No, it’s an Asia based. Britain has India, France has Indo China, China has China, Russia has Siberia, Turkey has Turkey, Japan has Japan, and Holland has the East Indies

• SAS, if you take a liking to Diplomacy, you might to also try its variant, Colonial Diplomacy.

Do you know where we could find a map of Colonial Diplomacy? I’m curious to see it.

• Has anyone played any other variants they would recommend?

• @Dylan:

Yeah, but it’s not better then AAA. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/diplomacy you can read the instructions here.

Well, I also didn’t say that I think I would like it better than A&A, just that the other people I play with when I get the chance might.  I suggested it to them and we talked about it some and they seem really interested.

• @SAS:

@Dylan:

Yeah, but it’s not better then AAA. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/prod/diplomacy you can read the instructions here.

Well, I also didn’t say that I think I would like it better than A&A, just that the other people I play with when I get the chance might.  I suggested it to them and we talked about it some and they seem really interested.

Well sorry!  :-o

• I’m not offended by your comment, just trying to ease your mind if you think I’m abandoning A&A or (blasphemy of blasphemies) suggesting that another game is better. :wink:

• @SAS:

I’m not offended by your comment, just trying to ease your mind if you think I’m abandoning A&A or (blasphemy of blasphemies) suggesting that another game is better. :wink:

Well, many people say world of flames is better because it is a hex game and thus is much more complex than AA40

• I’m in the middle of giving Diplomacy a spin.  It looks promising so far, but it may be that this is one of those games where YMMV based upon who you play with.  I can see how some types of gamers would love a game like this, while others would just grief everyone and suck the fun out of it, and still others that would hate it on principle.

PRO:

• I like the idea of having everyone move at the same time, more realistic.  You actually have surprises.  Watching the faces of people that just got stabbed is classic.
    • No real down-time.
    • Technically, the war has not started yet so you get to choose your own allies.
    • No luck, only pure strategy and cunning.
    • Support Costs.  Basically, you can’t just keep building and building forever.  More realistic.
    • Fleets are a major part of the game, not just a mode of transportation for armies.

CON:

• Adjudication.  The simple hold, attack, support, convoy orders can get very complex very quickly, but you have to have know it to get your armies and fleets to do what you want.  Then you have to figure out how it settles when all the orders start clashing together.  Yes, there are paradoxes.
    • Stalemates.  2, 3, and even 4 way ties are normal.  You can spend hours upon hours playing only to have no winner.
    • Finding players.  You really need all 7 to get the full experience.
    • If your friends are the sort that hold grudges, you may actually lose their friendship just by playing this game once.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m