• “You take the bullets, you take the gun!” - Enemy at the gates.

6 different sea units, but only 3 different land units… It’s time for a new land unit: the Conscript! This poor little fellow lacks the training and experience of regular infantry, and its most common strategical use was being cannon fodder to let the more valuable forces survive. In-game this would be translated as a 0/0 infantry unit with a cost of 2 IPC’s. The funny thing is, it doesn’t need an IC to get produced: every territory with an ipc-value of 2 or greater can produce one Conscript each turn. If India needs defense fast, just recruit some native rabble to fill up the ranks ;)

Thoughts and comments?

• @HolKann:

“You take the bullets, you take the gun!” - Enemy at the gates.

6 sea units, but only 3 land units… It’s time for a new land unit: the Conscript! This poor little fellow lacks the training and experience of regular infantry, and it’s most common strategical use was being cannon fodder to let the more valuable forces survive. In-game this would be translated as a 0/0 infantry unit with a cost of 2 IPC’s. The funny thing is, it doesn’t need an IC to get produced: every territory with an ipc-value of 2 or greater can produce one Conscript each turn. If India needs defense fast, just recruit some native rabble to fill up the ranks ;)

Thoughts and comments?

India gets 1 0/0 a turn? That makes no sense.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Yeah, if you pay up the 2 ipc’s this unit costs. It’s a conscript, forced to fight for a country he’s not willing to defend. Why wouldn’t it make sense? You can also produce one in Egypt, South-Africa, China, Kazachstan, Eastern Europe etc.

• @HolKann:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Yeah, if you pay up the 2 ipc’s this unit costs. It’s a conscript, forced to fight for a country he’s not willing to defend. Why wouldn’t it make sense? You can also produce one in Egypt, South-Africa, China, Kazachstan, Eastern Europe etc.

Because I’d rather spend 1 more ipc to buy an inf. That 2 ipc is wasted on a useless hit that probably won’t change the battle outcome

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Because I’d rather spend 1 more ipc to buy an inf. That 2 ipc is wasted on a useless hit that probably won’t change the battle outcome

True, but would you be willing to build an IC in India to produce that infantry? Or would you go with the inferior Conscript? After 3 turns 3 conscripts can make a difference in battle. It’s an extra combat round where your real infantry can shoot the baddies down…

• dude its point less at 2 make it a 1ipc unit. You could use this instead though cost 2 atk 1 def 1 move 1 cant be artillery supported

• I see what you’re saying, it’s a great idea, however I do agree with rock, I would make the cost maybe like 1 IPC, if it was 0/0, but if it was like 0/1 or 1/0 maybe 2 IPC could work.

• The cost of 2 is spot on, giving them a cost of 1 means half my army would be conscripts - for the price of an infantry, 3 conscripts could take 3 hits! I’ll do one concession though:

After a succesful land battle a conscript has witnessed warfare firsthand and tasted victory. This experience grants him the status of veteran conscript. In game terms, any surviving conscript gets promoted to regular infantry.

Unfortunately, conscripts rarely survive :evil: Btw, conscripts can’t be supported by artillery, unless they’ve been promoted to infantry.

• Conscripts should only be available for Soviet Union and Germany.

The first time either player loses one of his original VC to the other side, that player may raise conscripts as follows:

Roll D6 = number that can be built, each turn in succession you want to roll, you must subtract one from die roll. The die modification is reduced by one each turn and no less than one can be a total result. If you wait one turn and don’t raise them, the modification is entirely removed.

These cost 2 IPC and are 1-1-1-1 units.

Example:

Germany tanks Leningrad and thats the first Soviet VC to fall to the enemy. Soviets can now start rolling. They roll 5 and can now spend 10 IPC and buy the full 5.

Next turn Soviets try again and roll D6. They get 3 but must reduce it by -1 yielding 2.

Next turn after that they get greedy and roll again. Now they roll a 4, but must reduce the value to 2 and spend 4 IPC to get 2 conscripts.

Next turn they decide to not buy conscripts.

Next turn they now again buy them, rolling 6 and can buy the full 6 since they waited a turn.

Conscripts can be placed at the rate of one per territory, or at VC equal to the production value of the territory. They don’t go by factory placement rules.

Conscripts do not get an attack bonus from artillery, but can get a defensive bonus ( defending at 2) with each matching artillery 1:1 basis.

Here is my concept for you.

• @Imperious:

Conscripts should only be available for Soviet Union and Germany.

The first time either player loses one of his original VC to the other side, that player may raise conscripts as follows:

Roll D6 = number that can be built, each turn in succession you want to roll, you must subtract one from die roll. The die modification is reduced by one each turn and no less than one can be a total result. If you wait one turn and don’t raise them, the modification is entirely removed.

Example:

Germany tanks Leningrad and thats the first Soviet VC to fall to the enemy. Soviets can now start rolling. They roll 5 and can now spend 10 IPC and buy the full 5.

Next turn Soviets try again and roll D6. They get 3 but must reduce it by -1 yielding 2.

Next turn after that they get greedy and roll again. Now they roll a 4, but must reduce the value to 2 and spend 4 IPC to get 2 conscripts.

Next turn they now again buy them, rolling 6 and can buy the full 6 since they waited a turn.

Conscripts can be placed at the rate of one per territory, or at VC equal to the production value of the territory. They don’t go by factory placement rules.

Conscripts do not get an attack bonus from artillery, but can get a defensive bonus ( defending at 2) with each matching artillery 1:1 basis.

Don’t you mean it’s a 1-1-1-2 unit?

• @Imperious:

Conscripts should only be available for Soviet Union and Germany.

Example:

:), you always put a lot of thought into these things. Though it probably is historically accurate and balanced, it’s very complicated to fit in a game like AandA imo.

I like my rules clean and simple, with little die rolling and stuff. So in my view these conscripts also represent Chinese partisans, a Hindi army corps or Belgian volunteers going to fight the commies at the Eastern front. It’s an untrained lot, easy to muster but nearly worthless in a fight, used as a meatshield or last resort if nothing better is available. I hope it gives Japan something to ponder about in the east, without forcing the allies to overcommit themselves by buidling vulnerable IC’s. Besides, it’s always funny to see a little hero pop up in South-Africa, which will prove itself a loyal infantry invaluable in the defense of Moskva ;)

• Yes they are 1-1-1-2 units ( typo)

The other concern is you got to model the concept that conscripts have a pattern of diminishing returns. You can’t keep scraping the bottom of the barrel and not suffer worse success at getting these conscripts. This also presents the player options on making decisions, rather than making it just too simple… by rolling and buying these cheap units.

I also might add that conscripts are really cadre ( static) divisions that are very inexperienced. Usually these troops are stationed in areas where no fighting is taking place so that they may gain this experience. These also represent old men and kids fighting desperately ( volkstrum). To model this it should be a rule that you cant move these outside your original controlled areas, unless you “convert them” by paying another 1 IPC to full infantry units.

Now you got what is really an upgradable infantry unit which might add to the game. In this case you might as well allow anyone to obtain them, but only if their original areas was occupied ( Philippines does not count).

It will definatly help in Russia.

• @Imperious:

Yes they are 1-1-1-2 units ( typo)

The other concern is you got to model the concept that conscripts have a pattern of diminishing returns. You can’t keep scraping the bottom of the barrel and not suffer worse success at getting these conscripts. This also presents the player options on making decisions, rather than making it just too simple… by rolling and buying these cheap units.

I also might add that conscripts are really cadre ( static) divisions that are very inexperienced. Usually these troops are stationed in areas where no fighting is taking place so that they may gain this experience. These also represent old men and kids fighting desperately ( volkstrum). To model this it should be a rule that you cant move these outside your original controlled areas, unless you “convert them” by paying another 1 IPC to full infantry units.

Now you got what is really an upgradable infantry unit which might add to the game. In this case you might as well allow anyone to obtain them, but only if their original areas was occupied ( Philippines does not count).

It will definatly help in Russia.

The static (not movable outside original terrain) and convertable (pay 1 ipc to get them to regular infantry) are simple enough, maybe I’ll use them. The diminishing returns are sufficiently represented by the fact that you can buy only one on each territory with ipc-value >= 2. You can’t keep scraping the bottle of the barrel, even though you have sufficient cash. Tnx for the input!

• Interesting… although i like the Blockhouses as the 4th land unit.  kind of similar to your Conscript idea… a unit that can take hits.  I think conscripts work better as an advantage For Russia

• Conscripts should only be available for Soviet Union and Germany.

USSR Conscript and/or partisan it’s a must but those units cannot move.
    About germany that’s another case.
    Volkstrum? why not… but only if the IPC level of Germany is low or surrounded by the Allies.

• There’s already 4 land units infantry, artillery, mech infantry, and tanks. I like the ideas of conscripts but only think there viable as a 1-0-1-2 unit. Did I get my unit  stats right. The way I have them is move attack defend cost

• hmmm… attack zero.

Makes them useless, for 1 IPC more you get 2 points. I would never buy these at all.

should be 1-2-1-2 (a,d,m,c)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m