Soviet minor industrial complex in Amur

• If Russia takes Korea and Japan takes it back, that’s not an invasion, that’s a skirmish, and well within the spirit of the Japanese-Russian relations during the war.

I think the 18 infantry are perfect.  Russia can’t afford to waste them in full up attacks against real Japanese forces, because the Japanese will quickly eliminate them and then blitz through Siberia.  Japan doesn’t want to attack them because (if Russia is smart about where they block from, probably Buryata or Sakha to avoid amphibious assault and stretch the range of airstrikes) it will cost too many units and distract from China and India for too little gain.  On the other hand, Japan has to keep a respectable force there as well just to maintain parity on the border, putting a serious damper in their fight against China and India.  Brilliant.

• @Real:

I wouldnt count on that.  The Russian forces provide a wonderful deterrant against Japanese aggression, even in China.  It ensure that Japan at least has to keep a token force not to lose Korea and Manchuria.  Also those 18 infantry in Amur are several turns away from being useful in Moscow or against Germany.  I feel that a good Russian player will place them all in amur because if they are split up the Japanese can get them piecemeal.

And if you are allies, you are going to love it if Japan is going to put big effort into ‘defeating’ those 18 infs. It buys breathing space for UK India and ANZAC. Japan really cannot afford to split its forces between two fronts like that.

• @purplebaron:

If Russia takes Korea and Japan takes it back, that’s not an invasion, that’s a skirmish, and well within the spirit of the Japanese-Russian relations during the war.

I think the 18 infantry are perfect.  Russia can’t afford to waste them in full up attacks against real Japanese forces, because the Japanese will quickly eliminate them and then blitz through Siberia.  Japan doesn’t want to attack them because (if Russia is smart about where they block from, probably Buryata or Sakha to avoid amphibious assault and stretch the range of airstrikes) it will cost too many units and distract from China and India for too little gain.  On the other hand, Japan has to keep a respectable force there as well just to maintain parity on the border, putting a serious damper in their fight against China and India.  Brilliant.

That does seem like the safest way to go for Russia in the longer run. I also agree that Japan needs to keep a close eye on them and needs to keep a considerable number of troops on the border. As someone suggested in another thread, this is probably also the easiest fix for A&A Pacific40 (on its own): Force the Japanese to keep an X number of land units or IPC worth of units in the land territories bordering Russia. This will lessen the pressure on China and make both China and India more likley to survive longer. On the other hand, adding a few Chinese units wouldn’t be a bad idea either and certainly historically accurate.

• Secure Amur for a bombing base on Japan :mrgreen:

20th Anniversary Give Away

In January 2000 this site came to life and now we're celebrating our 20th Anniversary with a prize giveaway of 30+ prizes. See this link for the list of prizes and winners.
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys
T-shirts, Hats, and More

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.5m