• Soviet Union. Not at war. May not declare war on an Axis power in Europe until turn four unless an Axis power declares war first. May declare war on Japan (the rule book indicates the game setting is before the non-agression pact, which was signed in 1941). When not at war with Japan, may not move units into China.

If Japan declares war on J1 or J2, does this mean Soviet Union is at war with Germany and Italy? Meaning Germany no longer gets the +5 IPC for not being in war with the Soviet Union NO and Soviet Union gets the +5 IPC for being at war with Germany or Italy

• @shohoku201:

Soviet Union. Not at war. May not declare war on an Axis power in Europe until turn four unless an Axis power declares war first. May declare war on Japan (the rule book indicates the game setting is before the non-agression pact, which was signed in 1941). When not at war with Japan, may not move units into China.

If Japan declares war on J1 or J2, does this mean Soviet Union is at war with Germany and Italy? Meaning Germany no longer gets the +5 IPC for not being in war with the Soviet Union NO and Soviet Union gets the +5 IPC for being at war with Germany or Italy

No. The only way that the USSR can be at war before turn 4 is if either Germany or Italy declared war on it(which allows USSR to declare war with the other). A J1 or J2 attack brings the US into the war against Japan, and probably Germany since the US has the option to declare war on Germany. It also leads to war with the UK, ANZAC, and probably France, if Japan takes FIC.

• Thanks

• Here is how I see the rules for each power:
    China: at war with Japan, can go to war with Germany/Italy only if they declare war on it(won’t matter much unless they have taken over Russia)

France: At war with Germany/Italy. Can declare war on Japan as it wishes(not much of a point though. The only French unit in the area is the destroyer off Madagascar).

UK/ANZAC: At war with Germany/Italy, can declare war on Japan at any time, but this allows Japan to enter the war without bringing in the US

Japan: At war with China. Can declare war on USSR and France with no consequences. Can declare war on UK/ANZAC/Dutch at will, but if UK/ANZAC didn’t declare war previously, this brings the US into the war

Germany: At war with UK, ANZAC, and France. Can declare war on China, USSR, and US at will. War with US will lead to US being able to declare war on the other 2 axis

Italy: Same as Germany

USSR: At war with no one. Can declare war on Japan at any time without affecting others. 
    Cannot declare war on Germany/Italy unless they declare war 1st or it’s the 4th turn

US: At war with no one until 3rd turn, unless any axis declares war on it, which allows the US to declare war on all axis

Dutch: I assume these can be taken by Germany/Italy without bringing the US in, but this will be rare

• Now here’s the trick, that’s how you see it, but how did the game designers see it?

The Russian declaring war on Germany if attacked by Japan thing is not quite clear to me. The text can be explained in two directions.

• @Driel310:

Now here’s the trick, that’s how you see it, but how did the game designers see it?

The Russian declaring war on Germany if attacked by Japan thing is not quite clear to me. The text can be explained in two directions.

If Japan attacks Russia, Russia still can’t declare war on germany/Italy until turn 4 unless Germany or Italy declared war on Russia already

• @Driel310:

I absolutely agree.  Its not clear to me either - in fact when I first read it, I came to the opposite conclusion as the earlier posters.

When I read “May not declare war on an Axis power in Europe until turn four unless an Axis power declares war first”  I read that as saying if Japan (an Axis power) declares war on Russia, then Russia is then free to declare war on any remaining Axis power (Germany or Italy) - in effect, circumventing the 4 turns rule.

I do not read it to mean a that Japanese DOW on Russia means that Russia is automatically at war with the other Axis powers.  Just that Russia is free to then DOW the remaining Axis powers in Europe if it chooses.

Maybe this is incorrect - but the way this was worded in the preview definitely leaves the issue ambiguous.

• @gtg21:

@Driel310:

I absolutely agree.  Its not clear to me either - in fact when I first read it, I came to the opposite conclusion as the earlier posters.

When I read “May not declare war on an Axis power in Europe until turn four unless an Axis power declares war first”  I read that as saying if Japan (an Axis power) declares war on Russia, then Russia is then free to declare war on any remaining Axis power (Germany or Italy) - in effect, circumventing the 4 turns rule.

I do not read it to mean a that Japanese DOW on Russia means that Russia is automatically at war with the other Axis powers.  Just that Russia is free to then DOW the remaining Axis powers in Europe if it chooses.

Maybe this is incorrect - but the way this was worded in the preview definitely leaves the issue ambiguous.

I think since it says “axis power in europe” it refers only to Germany and Italy

• Official Q&A

Calvinhobbesliker is correct.

• @Krieghund:

Calvinhobbesliker is correct.

I have a question about invading a pro-enemy neutral. The preview says that if you fail to take it, then it acts as a pro-enemy and can be claimed by the opponent. This just means that the enemy can take over the neutral, but they only get the infantry left over after the battle, right?

If the allies take Crete in non-combat, does Greece become theirs(with the infantry)? If Portugal became pro-allies, would activating Angola(taking it in noncombat and getting its infantry) also activate Portugal and Mozambique?

• Official Q&A

@calvinhobbesliker:

I have a question about invading a pro-enemy neutral. The preview says that if you fail to take it, then it acts as a pro-enemy and can be claimed by the opponent. This just means that the enemy can take over the neutral, but they only get the infantry left over after the battle, right?

Correct.

@calvinhobbesliker:

If the allies take Crete in non-combat, does Greece become theirs(with the infantry)? If Portugal became pro-allies, would activating Angola(taking it in noncombat and getting its infantry) also activate Portugal and Mozambique?

No.  Each neutral territory is treated independently.

• @Krieghund:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Correct.

@calvinhobbesliker:

No.  Each neutral territory is treated independently.

I see. So Angola may as well be an independent country

• Thanks for the clarifications Krieg.  :-)

• '22 '19 '18

Krieg, can Russia take over pro-allied neurtals like in mid east before they are at war with Euro Axis?  Can they invade Iraq, while not at war?

• @cond1024:

Krieg, can Russia take over pro-allied neurtals like in mid east before they are at war with Euro Axis?  Can they invade Iraq, while not at war?

I don’t think so. A neutral power can’t move into territories that don’t belong to it.

• Well, the rules clearly state that any neutral nation may not move any of their units into or over any territory that they do not control (including neutrals), so if Russia is not at war at all they couldn’t move into Persia.

What I’d like to know though is if they can move into Persia if they declare war on Japan.  How about that one, Krieg?

• I think they can, but that would be cheap

• Official Q&A

As long as the USSR is at war with someone, it can claim/invade neutral territories.

• Clever.  Thank you, Krieg.

They may simply declare war on Japan however without actually having to attack any Japanese territories, leaving the Amur/Manchuria stalemate as is and simply allowing them to occupy pro-Allied Persia and possibly attack pro-Axis Iraq (or Finland and Bulgaria if Germany is silly), correct?

I also wonder if their At War NO also applies to being at war with anyone or if that will only apply to being at war with European Axis nations.  Otherwise I can see a R1 DoW against Japan being standard simply for them to get the NO and be able to move into neutral territories.

• Official Q&A

@SAS:

They may simply declare war on Japan however without actually having to attack any Japanese territories, leaving the Amur/Manchuria stalemate as is and simply allowing them to occupy pro-Allied Persia and possibly attack pro-Axis Iraq (or Finland and Bulgaria if Germany is silly), correct?

Yup.

@SAS:

I also wonder if their At War NO also applies to being at war with anyone or if that will only apply to being at war with European Axis nations.  Otherwise I can see a R1 DoW against Japan being standard simply for them to get the NO and be able to move into neutral territories.

It only applies to European Axis powers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m