• trying to get your opinion

• This is obviously an unfair question, as it depends what your plan is.

I like destroyers as fodder (since they can take plane hits), Aircraft Carriers for versatility. I find that I usually do not purchase too many cruisers, as I would rather shell out the extra 7IPCs to get a battleship (which still doesnt happen very often).

If you have a fleet of 3 or so battleships, it can be great as they would each be able to take a hit and still survive.

• It depends what you have in mind and no single unit will get the job done. The reasoning behind having a navy is either to protect your transports or to sink enemy ships to prevent them from using transports. The composition of the navy depends on what the opposing side has.

If my navy was strictly for defense from enemy planes and maybe a few odd ships, it would be a mix of loaded aircraft carriers with destroyers for fodder.

If my navy were on the offensive, it would first need to be able to defend so it could be in range to attack the enemy. Loaded carriers and destroyers would be the best for that role. Subs are the most efficient offensively and would make great fodder once in an offensive position. With 3 or so battleships, you might push the opposing fleet around even without having the offensive advantage. The opposing side would either need to match your battleships or risk a strafe with lopsided losses.

What might be interesting is to set a pricetag and see what the ideal blend might be.

• I did this to make it more popular, for a while

• the answer is stupidly easy, I’m surprised less people have chosen it.

• I voted destroyer for its versatility, compared to its price:

It can protect a fleet against first strikes. Subs can’t ignore it.
    And it can serve as a blocker, or as cheap fodder.

The one (kind of) ship a fleet can’t do without is a destroyer

• I voted transport because it’s the entire purpose for the existence of fleets.

• exactly.  Without transports, a fleet is really not a threat at all.  Sure, a mass of ftrs on carriers can still threaten territories, but they can’t capture.

• My favourite sea unit are submarines.

If you have ever fought a good fight in Pacific you will easily understand why. Recently, I was able with modest buys of subs to block US Pacific ambition for enough time till it was too late for them (admitedly with a little help of my friends – dice). And the way they have got to Solomons at the end was only due to UK subs that came as a cover. Subs are the infantry of sea battles. I like how they change completely the dynamics of sea battles whether you are on defensive or offensive… Subs are great and the new rules for subs (and transports) make IMHO for the difference that makes this game so much better than revised.

But I like all ships. The only ship i think is not worthy its price are cruisers. For 2 cruisers you get 3 DDs with the same punch, one more hit and the extra sub power, or even 4 subs. The ability to shorebombard does not make for the disadvantages. I really think the cruisers should have been 1 IPC cheaper for them to make ever any sense to buy.

• '10

Agree with the cruisers. I hardly ever buy a cruiser. Maybe once every couple games, but it just seems money is better spent elsewhere.

• I voted the DD, it is the backbone of every defensive or mixed fleet.

The CC imho is the least usefull unit, but still has some use in large fleets. The question always is, why buy a CC and a DD with 20 IPC when the same money can get you a BB. Well, the answer is fleet volume.
    When playing Dice, you can get lucky or unlucky. But, no matter how lucky you get, one BB will only get you one hit (in att or def) while one CC and one DD, if you are lucky, will get you two hits. So, for every second BB I buy, I prefer adding some pure volume in my fleets by bying a DD and a CC.

Another equivalent is to buy 2 SS and one DD, but when def is a primary concern and volume is needed, 2 SS are no more than fodder, given the attacker will have a DD (or else his air hits won t be assigned on the SS, and they will be useless even for fodder…).

The optimum setup for a mixed fleet (for example a US2 pacific fleet aiming for south pacific in US3) is 4 SS, 3 DD, 1 CC, 2 AC loaded, 1 BB, 2 TT (carrying 4 inf). Total IPC cost 82 (buy US1 2 AC, DD, SS, US2 1 ftr, 1 TT+1 inf, 2 SS, DD).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m