Azores islands - strategic in WWII are missing

• Azores are 9 portuguese islands in the middle of Atlantic half way from USA and Europe and nowadays Lages is the most important naval base USA has due to the strategic location of Azores.

During WWII Azores islands were very important to refuel the USA naval squad.

As i said before, Atlantic is a lot wider in reality than in aa games. :-D

• MAYDAY!!!  MAYDAY!!!

• Yea thats lame. I will have to fix that and also give Sicily 1-2 IPC, bringing Italy to 12

• @MEGAEINSTEIN:

Azores are 9 portuguese islands in the middle of Atlantic half way from USA and Europe and nowadays Lages is the most important naval base USA has due to the strategic location of Azores.

During WWII Azores islands were very important to refuel the USA naval squad.

As i said before, Atlantic is a lot wider in reality than in aa games. :-D

Lagens Field (nowadays known by the portuguese spelling, Lajes) was/is an airbase, not a naval base.

• No, Lajes is a military base with a huge aeroport and several militar facilities. Nowadays is more important to refuel planes in case of war, because nowadays the naval units have a really large autonomy (for example nowadays a nuc sub can be below the water for many month).

Back in 1940, a base das lajes nos Açores (Lajes Base in Azores) was very important to support naval units (refueling and general support).

It makes all the logic in future versions of AA a Naval and Aerial base in Azores in the middle os the way from USA to Europe, and a wider Pacific Ocean with more sea zones (Naval base in Usa=3 moves and naval base in Azores another 3 moves, so in two turns USA still reach Europeif using Azores Base).

• @MEGAEINSTEIN:

No, Lajes is a military base with a huge aeroport and several militar facilities. Nowadays is more important to refuel planes in case of war, because nowadays the naval units have a really large autonomy (for example nowadays a nuc sub can be below the water for many month).

Back in 1940, a base das lajes nos Açores (Lajes Base in Azores) was very important to support naval units (refueling and general support).

It makes all the logic in future versions of AA a Naval and Aerial base in Azores in the middle os the way from USA to Europe, and a wider Pacific Ocean with more sea zones (Naval base in Usa=3 moves and naval base in Azores another 3 moves, so in two turns USA still reach Europeif using Azores Base).

MegaEinstein, looks like we are both portuguese and disagreeing on a few things ;)

Lajes is not a huge airport. It has merely 1 runway plus the support buildings and plane parking areas. Large airbases, like Andrews AFB (close to Washington) or Rammstein AFB (in Germany) have 2 or even more runways (Charles de Gaulle Airport near Paris has 4 runways).

The main propose of Lajes was never included being a naval base. Its most important role during WW2 and afterwards during the Cold War was to serve as a staging base for anti-submarine aircraft to cover the Mid-Atlantic area and as a stop and refuel facility for planes on their way to Europe.

But, if you still don’t believe it, don’t take my word for it. Take Wikipedia’s:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lajes_Field

• To hobbes:

Big airport meaning very long landing strip (one of the longest in an island if not the longest). Allowed a canadian airplane full of passengers and no fuel, so with no motor supporting breaks, to land and the plane didn´t even had to use the whole lane.

The link you gave, if you read the part that says history, starts in 1946. During WWII Lages was a very important refueling location for both ships and planes and to support the ships with food and oder things. Because Salazar wanted to give an image of neutrality, this was not public knowledgment during WWII.

Yes is true that during cold war the base was used by planes to detect submarines among other things.

And during the war against iraq was very important to support planes.

A AA map where Atlantic is without Azores and Lages makes no sense.

My objectiv with this topic was that azores and lages are in future maps of AA games and was fast achieved with one of the main developers saying that Azores would be included.

Then you Hobbes appeared and after your appearence i am not so shure about the inclusion of Azores in futures versions of AA if people get to confused.

• Dude, I don’t think Hobbes saying anything is going to affect including the Azores or not, all he was saying was that perhaps it didn’t warrant an airbase.  Malta got included in this version and it doesn’t get squat to start with.  The Azores could just as easily be included and still be a major addition even if they only had a naval base or even nothing at all to start with.  At the very least we’d be able to build and land stuff there.

• SAS exactly. Anyway i think that due to the strategic location and relevance to USA forces during WWII Azores should be included on the map and Atlantic should be wider also.

This would bring a lot more deph to the game and more options to play, contributing to avoid standard repeated plays from one game play to another.

• So where would you advocate placing the Azores on the current AAG40 map?   Im thinking perhaps SZ103?

While we’re on the subject of missing islands, adding Diego Garcia into SZ75 could also make things interesting, particularly considering the new minor IC in South Africa.  Having a naval base there could theoretically open a lifeline between Africa and Australia - and would almost certainly open up an area of the board that sees little to no action in most games (Central and Southern Indian Ocean).

Also - having a Diego Garcia with a naval base in SZ75 would also complete the naval base chain from South Africa to Malaya allowing the UK/ANZAC two turns to shuttle forces from one end to the other - instead of 3.  And if India falls, it gives the UK/ANZAC players a platform for retaking that doesnt rely solely on a slow slog land based recapture.

• Customizer

My last map (linked below) has many small island groups for this purpose, and for my ship re-fueling rules. Diego Garcia is included as part of the Chagos group.

I really should have included Svalbard, however.

• The link you gave, if you read the part that says history, starts in 1946.

Excuse me? Anyone can read that the History section starts in 1928 and then has a part describing WW2, at least on the English version of Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lajes_Field

And the correct spelling is Lajes, not Lages like you keep mentioning the whole time. :)

My objectiv with this topic was that azores and lages are in future maps of AA games and was fast achieved with one of the main developers saying that Azores would be included.

As far as I know, Imperious Leader is not a game developer, just one of the biggest fans of the game :)

• @Hobbes:

As far as I know, Imperious Leader is not a game developer, just one of the biggest fans of the game :)

Yeah, IL makes his own house rules and modified versions of the A&A games in addition to map replicas, so his mentioning adding it and adding IPC value to Sicily was for one of his modified maps for house rules games.

• Hobbes the portuguese are so clever aren´t they?

Building something together is so out of the question?

Who cares the name of the base? Bases are not named till today in aa.

THE IMPORTANT ISSUE is to include Azores other Açores on the map due to its strategic location during wwii. Half way from USA and Europe.

LOL

• And SAS is a very important game developer cause the most popular house rules in the past are now part of the game.

LOL

• I included Azores as my contribution to my map files since my remake/remodel of AA50 map. Also, included was notation to Sicily, Corsica, Ceylon, and Sardinia as well as Malta. The inclusion of Formosa and and some of these pacific Islands in AA products is much lower on the list of viable areas to represent, while many of the ones i include were very important and were left out.

MY revised Global 40/39 map will include the Azores.

• And please imperious leader make the map wider so that Atlantic can have one more vertical row of sea zones.

The problem with maps is that they are not spheric like the real world and as a consequence if we analize a globe sea is about 66% of the whole surface of Earth and in a scale world map is a little more than  50%.

• Then Azores would be out of reach from potential Nazi long range bomber SBR against New York.

Thats the only reason why i like it because of this potential, whereas usually USA never gets bombed and Azores are kinda close to German areas so they can possible protect it.

• @Imperious:

Then Azores would be out of reach from potential Nazi long range bomber SBR against New York.

Thats the only reason why i like it because of this potential, whereas usually USA never gets bombed and Azores are kinda close to German areas so they can possible protect it.

Since your sea zones are the same as anniversary, what sea zone would Azores be in on the AA50 map?

• Since your sea zones are the same as anniversary, what sea zone would Azores be in on the AA50 map?

They are the same in G39. When i do G40 remake, i will keep it stock so the sea zone with Azores will be 3 spaces away from US east coast like i got it in AA50 remake.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m