• Given that the Sahara (as opposed to the Himalayas) is more of an overlay over the territories below, does that mean that the Sahara will be impassable to land units, but you can fly over?  That would be cool.  Not too relevant, but a nice touch.

• So you can fly from Marocco to Egypt with just 2 movementpoints? Please think…. If you could fly over Sahara they would have to part it up in more territories.

• No, the point is that you can see the boundaries of the underlying territories “under” the Sahara, so you can use those for air movement, but the Sahara overlay blocks land movement.

If I’m right, you can fly from Libya to Nigeria in two steps, rather than the 6 steps it takes to fly around the Sahara.

• @Andy_Dandy:

So you can fly from Marocco to Egypt with just 2 movementpoints? Please think…. If you could fly over Sahara they would have to part it up in more territories.

Is is parted in territories…look at the map, all the surrounding territories have borders that continues “under” the sahara…

• Game Board Rules

The Sahara Desert and the Pripet Marshes are impassable by all units.

http://www.axisandallies.org/node/438

• Damn, what a lost opportunity.

• Customizer

Yes, I’ve long advocated the inclusion of the Pripet, but always thought that planes should be able to fly over it, and the “national blocks” of the Sahara.

I also think that infantry should be permitted in the Pripet, allowing a rough simulation of partisan warfare as the Germans have to decide if it’s worth attacking (you can only attack with your own infantry), or leaving alone with the risk that the “partisans” will attack their supply lines through Belarus and Ukraine.

• @Flashman:

Yes, I’ve long advocated the inclusion of the Pripet, but always thought that planes should be able to fly over it, and the “national blocks” of the Sahara.

Fortunately, flying around the Pripet doesnt cost you anything.

@Flashman:

I also think that infantry should be permitted in the Pripet, allowing a rough simulation of partisan warfare as the Germans have to decide if it’s worth attacking (you can only attack with your own infantry), or leaving alone with the risk that the “partisans” will attack their supply lines through Belarus and Ukraine.

That would be awesome

• That makes sense for planes to fly over the Sahara. The Himalayas are another story though.

• Ummmm…have you heard about:  “flying over the hump”?  I had a close friend who was a transport pilot that flew supplies to the Chinese over the Himalayas.  He once told me he could take me to material that was probably never touched or found by anyone.

• And that material came from crashed planes?

• After the Japs closed the Burma Road the US 10th Airforce flew into China over The Hump about 650,000 tons of war material over 42 months.  I’m sure some planes crashed and it was very dangerous, but they did it.

• Yeah but for the sake of simplicity I think Larry just made it impassable, since it was a dangerous undertaking. This is an area where historical accuracy does not overrule simplicity IMO.

• Hmm… I think the most sense would to have the person roll for however many aircraft are attempting to pass over the Himalayas, or maybe opposing player roll?

Example 2 bombers try to pass over, they roll 2 dice, if they get a 2 or less then they’ve crashed in the Himalayas. If they get a 3 or greater than they’ve succuessfully passed over. Makes it a gamble anyway.

• I think the better question is to ask whether they actually flew any combat aircraft over the hump for battles and how far could the aircraft that survived go afterward?  I’m no expert, but for instance I don’t think most fighters of the time could fly that high at all.  Flying supplies over is one thing, but this game is about the military/tactical aspect more than the strategic.

• One should not forget that the Sahara is in fact huge! (only small on the AA-map for obvious playing purposes: not having large unused spaces on the board)

When you look at a real map is becomes more clear why it is as good as ‘impassable’

Although i like McLoving’s dice idea too

• Hence the problem with flying over/through the Sahara in WWII with limited range aircraft, however, is that map of the Sahara circa 1940?  Because I know it’s grown considerably since then.

• Customizer

I would consider other impassable (to all but infantry) areas:

Amazon Jungle (western Brazil).  This stops whoever controls Brazil from just knocking off any other South American country at will.

Congo Jungle (Belgian Congo minus the coast).  Same effect in South Africa.

Australian desert.  Tanks driving from Northern Territory to Adelaide is the equivalent of crossing the Sahara.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m