• @BasileII:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but USSR and Germany have around the same amount of IPCs every turn (depending of course on the NOs).
    Germany: 30 at start+9 (at best) from France (6 of these at best on G1)+2 from Finland+2 from Yugoslavia (let’s say they take it). And a one time 17 IPCs bonus.

Over 3 turns, they have 30+40+17+43=130 IPCs

USSR: 39 IPCs every turn, which makes 117 IPCs

But every russian production is going to Berlin, which means, in my idea, that Germany is actually at an economic disadvantage against Russia. Plus, Germany is the attacking power, so the more it advances the easier for Russian drunk footmen to reach its armies.

Imagine if you build transports and CVs to attack UK. Maybe you could take it, but you will then look desperately at the russian juggernaught coming for your women.

You’re absolutely right.  Germany does have three advantages, though.  The first is that they have a more starting units (and especially more tanks, mech inf, and fighters).  Mech Inf and Tanks that attack France on G1 can make it back to support a G3 attack on Russia.  The second is that new production infantry from Moscow and Stalingrad won’t make it to the front line until R4, which means that for a G3 or G4 attack, you’re only dealing with on-board forces.  The third is the Pripet Marsh.  If you take East Poland on the first round of attack, you can then decide whether to go north or south for the second round of attack, based on which is less fortified, and there will be an extra speed bump in their shifting defenses to meet you.

I think there will be an interesting tension on the German-Russian front.  Because Russia’s income is so high in comparison with their starting forces (relative to earlier versions of A&A), there’s a real incentive to attack early (before G4) to catch them before they solidify their defenses, and to chew up some infantry before the stacks get tall.  Because of this, Russia may want to withdraw all but a token force from the front lines to preserve units, which will ironically give Germany the capability and incentive to attack even earlier.  If Russia pulls forces back on R1, I’m seriously considering a G2 attack.

• @SgtBlitz:

Aw, man, c’mon, what could be MORE fun than having a Russian + US standard opening counter to a German Sealion bid?  Germany will be forced to make some very scripted moves that don’t have a lot of leeway to take Britain; plus a lot of its opening money will be sunk into transports that will need a navy to be protected for later use.  The United States could be spending its 35 Global “peace-time” IPCs making a take-back fleet that will be in position to retake Britain US3 or 4.  35 IPCs is definitely a carrier a turn on the East coast, throw in some planes and a German Sealion on G3 will seem even more dicey.  Germany will probably be forced to spend more on his navy than he would like to just maintain British occupation.

Russia even has a damn battleship to start with; imagine a Russian naval build for the first 3 rounds sailing out of the Baltic on Germany’s eastern flank!  Hitler would be crapping his pants!  It’s going to be bad enough with the ground units in place on the Russian border; 3 turns of moving infantry into position is going to make some nice looking stacks, plus 3 turns of tanks backing it up.  I’m not going to enjoy a “full-powered” version of Russia after a successful Sealion; even with Britain’s looted IPCs its going to be tough.

I’m betting with the Round 3 neutrality rules America’s “peace-time” money builds will either be able to save Britain or India, but probably not both.

Saving Britain will probably be the much easier of the two to save, and just imagine: Germany takes Britain G3, US is in position to take it back A4 while mainland Germany is facing a horde or screaming Russians coming across the eastern front R4, or even coming directly for Germany in transports across the Baltic.  This means that Germany has one turn to prepare for the big squeeze if they manage to pull off the Sea Lion.

• @SAS:

@SgtBlitz:

Aw, man, c’mon, what could be MORE fun than having a Russian + US standard opening counter to a German Sealion bid?  Germany will be forced to make some very scripted moves that don’t have a lot of leeway to take Britain; plus a lot of its opening money will be sunk into transports that will need a navy to be protected for later use.  The United States could be spending its 35 Global “peace-time” IPCs making a take-back fleet that will be in position to retake Britain US3 or 4.  35 IPCs is definitely a carrier a turn on the East coast, throw in some planes and a German Sealion on G3 will seem even more dicey.  Germany will probably be forced to spend more on his navy than he would like to just maintain British occupation.

Russia even has a damn battleship to start with; imagine a Russian naval build for the first 3 rounds sailing out of the Baltic on Germany’s eastern flank!  Hitler would be crapping his pants!  It’s going to be bad enough with the ground units in place on the Russian border; 3 turns of moving infantry into position is going to make some nice looking stacks, plus 3 turns of tanks backing it up.  I’m not going to enjoy a “full-powered” version of Russia after a successful Sealion; even with Britain’s looted IPCs its going to be tough.

I’m betting with the Round 3 neutrality rules America’s “peace-time” money builds will either be able to save Britain or India, but probably not both.

Saving Britain will probably be the much easier of the two to save, and just imagine: Germany takes Britain G3, US is in position to take it back A4 while mainland Germany is facing a horde or screaming Russians coming across the eastern front R4, or even coming directly for Germany in transports across the Baltic.  This means that Germany has one turn to prepare for the big squeeze if they manage to pull off the Sea Lion.

Yup.  Essentially throwing away 75% of your airforce round 1 probably doesn’t help Germany that much either.  Didn’t say Sealion was going to be an easy proposition.  IF you’re able to keep your transport fleet alive, however, then you have means to shuttle troops between England, Norway, and the Continent at will.  The trick will be feeding it enough naval units to keep it alive while at the same time building enough land units to keep the Reds busy.  I guess we’ll find out when the game releases.

Someone was asking earlier how 1 fig and 5 subs are going to take out most of the British fleet?  Well, you also have a bs and a cru in SZ 113 that can take on the British and French cruisers in SZ 112.  2 subs kill a UK destroyer + trans combo in SZ 106 or 109 and the other 3 subs plus the fig attack the UK bs + cru combo in SZ 111 (maybe they can only reach the UK dd and bs in SZ 110, not sure).  Probably very few subs will survive to see G2, so it might be a good idea to build an AC, dd, and sub on G1 for extra naval fodder.

• Ok, those seem fair naval attacks. Some are a bit tricky (2 subs vs 1 DD and 1 BB, 1 CA vs 2 CA’s) but it can be done.

Then on G2 you buy like 7-8 transports to make G3 invasion right?

So that leaves you with 18 ground units (you start with one transport, and I presume you have 18 ground units to load from the starting setup) against Britain’s 9 built on UK1, 9 (maybe 10 too hard to tell) on turn 2 + 2 Canadians. That’s 20 ground units (perhaps 21). Air power should make the difference than… UK can have 2 air units defending (Tactical from the ark royal + ftr from Cairo). Germany will have most likely 3 air units, but those have to face the UK flak first…

All and all a tough attack on G3 to be honest.

• Man I cannot wait to try these gambits out! Too bad I’m gonna be knee deep in homework and studying by the time I get the game (school starts 8/19 for me).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m