Soviet and German Mechanized Infantry Sculpts?

• After observing some of the new AAA Europe 1940 photos posted by some players, it appears to me that the USSR does indeed receive a unique mechanized infantry sculpt instead of using the US sculpt. The sculpt appears to be either a ZIS truck variant, or a ZIS halftrack conversion variant? Can someone else confirm as to whether this is accurate?

As well, it appears to me that (very surprisingly) the German mechanized infantry sculpt is the Opel Blitz truck sculpt from AAA Battle of the Bulge, and not the new Sd Kfz 251 sculpt specifically developed for this purpose (and already used by Japan in AAAP40). Again, can someone confirm whether this is actually the case?

Link:

http://yfrog.com/n73gdj

• I see that USSR, UK and USA have the same Mech unit

Also, Italy and Japan have the same sculpt.

If Germany has that stupid AA bulge opel and not the half track of which is the model for Italy and Japan. That is stupid.

• The Soviets do indeed have their own Mech unit, and as far as I know this has been known for quite som time. At least I know I’ve read it before.

The Germans appear to have the Sdkfz 251 Mech unit, same as Japan and Italy. I’ve been looking at the pics and it’s not the Opel Blitz.

• Yes, it appears that I was (thankfully) incorrect about the Opel Blitz as Germany’s Mechanized Infantry unit. However, it looks like the USSR really does use its own mechanized infantry unit (a ZIS Halftrack conversion) instead of sharing the US/UK M3 Halftrack sculpt. If one checks Preview 2 on the front page of this site, one can see the new USSR halftrack sculpt in French blue (except for its new infantry sculpt, France seems to share all of its sculpts with the USSR for some reason - I would have combined the USSR sculpts with a few UK sculpts, personally).

• I would have combined the USSR sculpts with a few UK sculpts, personally).

I agree, British BB would have been more appealing to the eye, BUT we now have French infantry! better than what we had back in 1984, right?!
    Thoes426 :evil:

• This Wikipedia article shows up quite a way down the results page when you do a search for Axis and Allies, so it was a while before I noticed it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Axis_%26_Allies_Games .  It has a nice (though at the moment not fully up to date or complete) table of the historical basis of the Axis & Allies sculpts.

• Fixed the chart. It is complete now.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@AG124:

France seems to share all of its sculpts with the USSR for some reason - I would have combined the USSR sculpts with a few UK sculpts, personally).

Yeah… France should definitely have UK sculpts. Having Russian type units is ridiculous. Who the heck makes these kind of decisions?

• to quote Imp.Leader: CHIMPS! thats who makes these decisions! haha

@thoes426:

to quote Imp.Leader: CHIMPS! thats who makes these decisions! haha

Well, I am familiar with the whole “Chimps” reference, and that is obviously what they are… but I am surprised that Larry doesn’t have jurisdiction on this element (pieces). I mean, he’s the creator, it is his game… shouldn’t he decide who gets what sculpts? I would think that he is smart enough to have French units be British… if it was his choice. I din’t think WotC got to choose that kind of stuff.

• I was quoting another poster so these are not my words. But i have used the chimps thing before and probably started it.

But lets not comment on what we don’t even have yet. The rules may not have any grammar/spelling mistakes this time.

• I see nothing wrong with using Russian pieces. The UK tank was not made until France fell.

Maybe give them UK planes, but the rest is ok.

@Imperious:

I was quoting another poster so these are not my words. But i have used the chimps thing before and probably started it.

But lets not comment on what we don’t even have yet. The rules may not have any grammar/spelling mistakes this time.

Ah ha, very funny!

@reloader-1:

I see nothing wrong with using Russian pieces. The UK tank was not made until France fell.

Maybe give them UK planes, but the rest is ok.

Well, even if it wasn’t… British tanks look more like French tanks. And if anything, the Free French or other Allied french units would have been equipped with British weapons. Not Soviet ones surely!

I am just being picky though.

• At least the Russian Fighter would have been my choice for the French. It looks somewhat like the Dewoitine fighter, more so than the Spitfire anyway.

• Exactly - I agree with the use of Russian pieces. Having identical tanks side by side in different colors looks weird (look at Italy and Germany)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m