• don’t give it bad ratings due to game balance because you can always fix that

• I know what you said but I just have to give it 3 stars. Game balance favors a J1 massive attack. ( I know but I had to). Also China and UK are just speed bumps. Big ones but they are speed bumps. The US is the savior which is far far away. ANZAC if China/UK falls is doomed. US never falls but by then japan one. YEs there are ways to counter but 1 star knocked off for that.  The other star is setup issues not fixed by the erreta. Like 3 fighters on NZ or the 2 almost defensless UK transports and undefended hawaiian transports. So 3 stars.

• I agree w/Proud American. Its an average 3 star (I expected less problems). The rule set errors, orig set-up changes, not enough units, the wrong charts, and now the overwhelming opinion that it has balance issues makes it sub par as a stand alone game IMO. I do have to say though, that w/errata (Kreighund), and help from WOTC (new units/charts), that it might move up 1/2 a star in my book. I think the game mechanics are in good shape, and they are trying to make amends. Honestly though given the option of which game to play (once Euro is out), I would definitely choose global as #1, followed by Euro-40, then rank Pac-40 as the red headed stepchild. I don’t see us playing Pac once Euro is out. Pac is really a 2-3 player game, we usually play with 4. As of late we are playing AA50 more, but that will change in a little over 3 weeks.

• the 3 star ratings i agree with. i dislike p40 but love e40

• IMO, the worst aspect of the game by far is the setup. There’s waaaay too much aircrafts, so much that as Japan, since I never play J1, I often find it boring figuring out what to do with the 12 ones I don’t need before UK enters the war. In global it’s gonna look veeery ugly especially with that horrible 18 russian infantries pile in the north. I think however the game has a very high potential considering how it can be easy to balance the setup with Europe for anyone with gaming experience and a minimum of historical knowledge. Minor rules problems are easily fixed too and adding a few simple house rules can really improve the game mechanics if you feel the game needs it. So for me, played by the book it’s a 3 but the map and the game mechanics are good enough to make it a 5 with some tweaking.

• i like the boardgame, and the new units and such
    the new IC’s are nice too

but i do think they overpowered the game a bit, like they all could have a little less money and troops, making the game overal shorter and less complicated

• i decided to create my own p40 setup

• '10

Great Game.

I rated “only” good, because of the ANZAC minor/major indurstrial setup failure.

• @nutbar:

don’t give it bad ratings due to game balance because you can always fix that

that said, other A&A games have at least had optional rules to potentially address balance.  MB had restricted Russia and bonus axis tech.  Revised had NAs.  Even AA50 has the Dardanelles optional rule to help the Allies.  AAE1940 (and hence global) has an option for improved U-boats (should the Axis prove to be out gunned).

That’s my only complain, and is is related to balance.  I gave it five stars, but rounded up from 4.99 stars.

• i gave it 5 stars, because of its design, its mechanics etc. i baught a copy of the old pacific and the evolution made is quite marvelous! even if japan is strong, the game is fun while trying to break this japanese advantages. there is nothing better than a game which inspires its players to think day and night about how to get the tasks done! :mrgreen:

• I love the pieces, the board, most of the new rules (neutrals, 2-hit CVs, etc.), and the entire concept of the game. The only qualm, like everyone else, is the set-up. But even minor ajsutments can clear that up. I gave it a four, but it’s just rounded down from a 4.49999999

• to anyone who said P40 is good/great, have you ever seen what AA50 looked like?  And it was only $100.  For $160-200 total (depending on where you get it, what tax is in your city) they came up far short.

• @MaherC:

to anyone who said P40 is good/great, have you ever seen what AA50 looked like?  And it was only $100.  For $160-200 total (depending on where you get it, what tax is in your city) they came up far short.

AA50 was almost as unbalanced as P40. AAG40 is balanced OOB, the only unbalanced part is P40, which cost less.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@MaherC:

to anyone who said P40 is good/great, have you ever seen what AA50 looked like?  And it was only $100.   For $160-200 total (depending on where you get it, what tax is in your city) they came up far short.

AA50 was almost as unbalanced as P40. AAG40 is balanced OOB, the only unbalanced part is P40, which cost less.

Ehhhhh…  AA50 does indeed favor axis in 1941 setup if using NOs (which were optional in AA50) but there doesn’t exist a 3rd turn near win condition like AAP40.  the 42 setup is pretty close to balanced, and both are still quite fun.  I wouldn’t say AA50 is almost as unbalanced.  It’s just a nailbiter if Japan and Germany make fast gains.

• '13

Very fun game.  Wish this came out in my HS and college days when I had more time for gaming.  My 12 year old son and I played it before I discovered this forum site.
    I didn’t know about the J3IC, but I played a pretty aggressive as Japan.  I’m a pretty experienced board gamer, but my son eventually beat me though.  He wants to play Japan next.  Maybe we’ll try LH’s new set up and revised rules and see how that goes.  Can’t wait to get AAE40.  We’ll probably play that one separately first then try a global game.

• Wat is “OOB”?

• Official Q&A

It stands for “out of box”, meaning the game as published, without any modifications or house rules.

• Ta.

• @Proud:

I know what you said but I just have to give it 3 stars. Game balance favors a J1 massive attack. ( I know but I had to). Also China and UK are just speed bumps. Big ones but they are speed bumps. The US is the savior which is far far away. ANZAC if China/UK falls is doomed. US never falls but by then japan one. YEs there are ways to counter but 1 star knocked off for that.  The other star is setup issues not fixed by the erreta. Like 3 fighters on NZ or the 2 almost defensless UK transports and undefended hawaiian transports. So 3 stars.

I so agree with you. p40 is broken! Japan is way too strong and ANZAC,China,and UK are severely weak but the US is moderately weak. NEVER PLAY P40 WITHOUT E40.

• @nutbar:

@Proud:

I know what you said but I just have to give it 3 stars. Game balance favors a J1 massive attack. ( I know but I had to). Also China and UK are just speed bumps. Big ones but they are speed bumps. The US is the savior which is far far away. ANZAC if China/UK falls is doomed. US never falls but by then japan one. YEs there are ways to counter but 1 star knocked off for that.  The other star is setup issues not fixed by the erreta. Like 3 fighters on NZ or the 2 almost defensless UK transports and undefended hawaiian transports. So 3 stars.

I so agree with you. p40 is broken! Japan is way too strong and ANZAC,China,and UK are severely weak but the US is moderately weak. NEVER PLAY P40 WITHOUT E40.

So you’re saying Global is balanced?  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m