• I see it works that if you add attack defense & move - 1 = cost
    Was that by design?

Actually, I just worked out what seemed to make sense intuitively and it just happened to fit the formula advocated by reloader serendipitously!  Now that he’s made us aware of it though, I see that it’s a formula that makes sense.

The best idea I’ve ever heard is to have building breakpoints:

i.e, once you build 8 light tanks, you can build med tanks
    once you build 8 med tanks, you can build heavy tanks.

That’s an interesting idea; I use a tech system that lets you target a tech and gradually improve your chances of achieving it by continuing to invest in it.  For some things (like heavy tanks) that nearly everyone probably COULD have achieved if they’d made it a priority, your building breakpoint idea also makes sense.

• I’m a fracophile,so I agree with the leadership as France’s problem early on,although it’s always hard to defend the militia later in the war.The Char B/M3 matchup is a good one,
    and the allies did have the advantage in armor in 40.I think the Pz III was making its appearence in fair numbers but the I/II were not up to Allied medium types.The Czech tanks were the workhorse for another year and played their part well even as they were adapted to other duties.Tactics was the killer.

• Reloader:

Continuing what CWO said, I would argue against Table Tactics making infantry pieces. FMG has two different infantry units for each nation, and I think any more will be overkill.

I would focus more on actual vehicles/tanks/planes/extra unit classes…

I think I’m starting to come more and more reloader’s way on this one…

One key unanswered question is how comfortable you feel, TT, doing figures.  If your reaction is “no problem” then perhaps doing a limited # of elite and/or special infantry units would be worthwhile (Keeping in mind the things I said before about distinguishing features, especially headgear which will make ID from a distance more clear…)

On the other hand, there are lots of HO’s out there that we could use for these things if we want, but not much in the way of plastic mini’s in the right scale for alternate vehicles, and, other than the size, I like what you’ve done so far for armored vehicles, and would love to see what you could do with ships…

One thing that I’m pretty sure we DON’T need any more of is “regular infantry!”

I do have some specific thoughts on your current choices (or omissions, rather) for individual armored vehicles:

Italy: You really should have included the P 40, the best Italian tank of the war; didn’t see much use, as it came a little late, but it was good enough that the Germans snapped up all they could get.  It wasn’t a world-beater, true, but it was at least competitive with the Sherman/ Panzer IV class of mediums.

Japan: You overlooked the Type 3 Chi-Nu and Type 4 Chi-to.  The latter didn’t get past the prototype stage, which might rule it out, but the former was produced in small #’s (but the Japanese didn’t produce any tanks in very large #’s, really) and was kept in reserve for the invasion of Japan that never came…

USSR: You overlooked the IS-2, which saw fairly wide use (over 3,000 produced in the last 2 years of the war), especially in the end game, as the Russians blasted their way through Axis cities…  I don’t know which T-34 you chose, but the T-34/85 was a very successful upgrade that was produced in enormous #’s.  If you really prefer early-war models, the KV-1 was the premier Russian heavy tank until 1942 or so.  (Once the Germans started running out of Panzer I’s & II’s, which had trouble with the early KV’s, and started switching to Panzer IV’s and Panthers, the KV-1 was definitely starting to show its age…)  For a medium/ heavy line-up, I’d say go with either an early-war or late-war line-up as follows:

Early War          Late War
    Medium T-34/76             T-34/85
    Heavy     KV-1                   IS-2

But note: if you mix-&-match to combine a T-34/85 with a KV-1 you’ve got a bit of absurdity on your hands, cause you’ll have a heavy with a smaller gun than the medium!  If you do the T-34/85, at least upgrade your KV to a KV-85!

UK: You really should have included the Comet.  The Cromwell was a pretty good medium, but its gun just wasn’t quite up to snuff.  The Comet wasn’t that much heavier, but the gun upgrade made a huge difference.  The “ultimate” fix for a UK heavy, the Centurion, came too late to see any action…

• Customizer

@reloader-1:

The best idea I’ve ever heard is to have building breakpoints:

i.e, once you build 8 light tanks, you can build med tanks
    once you build 8 med tanks, you can build heavy tanks.

The only problem I see with that is if one nation, say Germany, builds a bunch of tanks, they could be up to heavies in just a couple of rounds yet another nation, say USA, can’t buy as many tanks because they also have to buy navy and air force to get across the ocean to take on Germany and they will be stuck with light tanks still.
    Another idea would be to go by rounds.  After X number of rounds you can upgrade to medium, after Y rounds you can upgrade to heavy.  It seems to me like that would keep things a little better balanced.

• The only problem I see with that is if one nation, say Germany, builds a bunch of tanks, they could be up to heavies in just a couple of rounds yet another nation, say USA, can’t buy as many tanks because they also have to buy navy and air force to get across the ocean to take on Germany and they will be stuck with light tanks still.
    Another idea would be to go by rounds.  After X number of rounds you can upgrade to medium, after Y rounds you can upgrade to heavy.  It seems to me like that would keep things a little better balanced.

True, but perhaps this reflects reality.  Even if the US planners had put a rush on the Pershing, for instance, they were undoubtedly behind the Germans in the tank arms race… and the Japanese were still relying basically on light tanks late in the war after everyone else still “in the game” (Italy was out by then) had switched at least to mediums.  Why?  For the most part it was a matter of priorities.  Japan was concentrating on building super-battleships, Germany and the USSR on super-tanks and the US and the UK were split in their priorities.

• Re: breakpoints

Each nation would have slightly different breakpoints. Japan’s might be as little as 4-5 tanks, while Germany’s could be 10 or so.

• OK TT, here’s my first attempt at a proposal for which tanks you should do in a 5-tank series for each of the four countries that had a full range of options:

| Unit

Light Tank

Medium Tank

Medium Tank Dest./
    SP Gun

Heavy Tank

Heavy Tank Dest./
    SP Gun
    | Germany

Panzer II

Panzer IV
    or Panther

Nashorn
    or JagdPanther

Tiger
    or Tiger II

Elefant
    or Jagdtiger
    | USSR

BT

T34/76
    or T34/85

SU-85
    or SU-100

KV-1
    or IS-2

KV-2
    or ISU-152
    | US

Stuart

Sherman
    (late model)

M10 or
    M18 Hellcat

Pershing

M36 TD or
    M7 SP Gun
    | UK

Crusader

Cromwell

Bishop

Comet

Achilles
    |

• '10

@Table:

The bunkers are nice but tanks need to be bigger.  :-D

@Fishmoto37:

@Fishmoto37:

@DrLarsen:

Wow! I dug a couple of tanks from The War Game out of storage to compare and I found that the new TT pieces dwarf even them!  TT’s Panther is about the size of TWG’s Tiger!  TT’s Elephant is about the size of TWG’s Maus!  (interesting double irony there, I guess…)  Yeah, I have to say, TT: you’d best scale them down for AAA compatibility.

Yes I got my four sets of TT units yesterday and the tanks are quite large. For the most part not good for AA. Maybe can be used for BotB using ILs larger map. I made my first two bunkers out of the infantry pedestals. Cut the gun off the top and then drilled a small hole in the center of the portal that is located on the edge. Glued a portion of a gun in the drilled hole. Looks like one of those small bunkers on the Maginot line.

Check out my photo of bunker prototypes made from TT infantry units next to AA tanks.

I finally got my bunkers into a game setup. This is ILs 1939 game setup with bunkers made from TTs infantry pedestals. There are four in this photo. One in Gibralter, one on Malta, one in France and one in Germany.

IMAG0102.JPG

• I find it funny that you don’t use chips. It makes the map look small, but whatever you like is fine.

Reminds me of this guy on ebay who sells AA naval pieces. He does this same thing.

• '10

@Imperious:

I find it funny that you don’t use chips. It makes the map look small, but whatever you like is fine.

Reminds me of this guy on ebay who sells AA naval pieces. He does this same thing.

I will probably set it up in Europe with chips just before we start the game so it wont be so crowded. Thats what I did in our game last week which was A&AG1940. Europe is even smaller in that game.

• DrLarsen, I agree with most of your choices.

I would suggest the T-26 as the Soviet light tank for two reasons: It was heavily produced in the early war years, and also very recognizable.

Secondly, the T-26 allows you to use it and the Panzer II in Spanish Civil War scenarios.

• I think Jack should produce a Self-Propelled Artillery piece for all nations as well.

I see this as being one of the most popular pieces, and probably the next piece introduced in a future AA game.

Russia: Katyushas
    Germany: Hummel
    US: Priest

Etc.

• I think this game miss a Heavy Artillery piece, that attacks on 4 or less, defend on 2 or less, and cost 7 IPC.

I also think we need a Blockhouse unit that defend on 5 or less and cost 6 IPC. As in the real world, a blockhouse will assure the destruction of one attacking unit. If you defend a territory with 4 infantry you are never sure they will kill any enemy before they are killed themselves.

• DrLarsen, I agree with most of your choices.

I would suggest the T-26 as the Soviet light tank for two reasons: It was heavily produced in the early war years, and also very recognizable.

Secondly, the T-26 allows you to use it and the Panzer II in Spanish Civil War scenarios.

Then again, he’s already done a T-70; so maybe he should just go with that one (so many good choices made in large #'s for Soviet light tanks…)

I think Jack should produce a Self-Propelled Artillery piece for all nations as well.

I see this as being one of the most popular pieces, and probably the next piece introduced in a future AA game.

Etc.

Notice that one of my US choices is the M7 (which is the same thing as the Priest)  The Nashorn is almost identical on this scale to the Hummel, so one designed as one could probably be used as either.  But you’re right that this is another potential unit type, and not just a type that is totally the same as a TD…  I shall think on it…

• @DrLarsen:

Reloader:

I would focus more on actual vehicles/tanks/planes/extra unit classes…

I have designed units for molding the L7 Priest and the Katyusha multiple rocket launcher.
    Would you all have a problem with units produced in 2 pieces that would be glued or snapped together?

• @reloader-1:

I think Jack should produce a Self-Propelled Artillery piece for all nations as well.

Etc.

Woops I posted before I got this far.
    Now how about self-propelled AA guns like the Quad 50?  :-D

• @Razor:

I think this game miss a Heavy Artillery piece, that attacks on 4 or less, defend on 2 or less, and cost 7 IPC.

I also think we need a Blockhouse unit that defend on 5 or less and cost 6 IPC. As in the real world, a blockhouse will assure the destruction of one attacking unit. If you defend a territory with 4 infantry you are never sure they will kill any enemy before they are killed themselves.

Would the Heavy Artillery have to be larger or just make a bigger dia barrel?

You know if all this comes about then the maps will need to be ping pong table size and I will need to make those sticks they used to move pieces around.

• Would the Heavy Artillery have to be larger or just make a bigger dia barrel?

It would be different models altogether.  I would suggest Medium (regular) Artillery be drawn from the most commonly-used pieces for each nation ranging between 70mm-105mm and Heavy Artillery be from larger pieces (like the US 155mm or the Soviet 122mm)

You know if all this comes about then the maps will need to be ping pong table size and I will need to make those sticks they used to move pieces around.

Was that supposed to scare us off?  :-D  I already have such a map (from TWG) though I’d be in the market for a better one if I find it!  The sticks weren’t necessary… but they might still be a fun accessory…  :-D

• Oh, TT, which model of Semovente is that in your Italian set?  I’m working over the suggestions table I put in above, adding Italy and Japan to it and substituting the ones you’ve already made on it to minimize the # of new scupts while maximizing the number of usable new unit types for each nation…

• @DrLarsen:

Oh, TT, which model of Semovente is that in your Italian set?  I’m working over the suggestions table I put in above, adding Italy and Japan to it and substituting the ones you’ve already made on it to minimize the # of new scupts while maximizing the number of usable new unit types for each nation…

Semovente M41M da 90/53, 90mm Gun on M14/41 Chassis

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m