• What do you guys think of this game? Personally, I love it. It requires a lot of strategy. The game changes every time. Its simple, but at it’s heart can be very complex. I wish there was a way to play it over the net.

• great game ;)

• AWESOME

no one will play with me because i always win :cry:
    have you tried the expansions??

I have “the Cities and Kinghts of Catan” expansion and it makes thing a whole lot more interesting!

• I have both expansions and the game and think it’s all fabulous

• Yanny, there is a great site to play settlers on the internet for free and it usaully has plenty of people to play with on there 2 servers… it’s:

http://settlers.cs.northwestern.edu/

it always is the first website on google to come up when you type in
    Settlers of catan. all you need to do is type in a username at the top and start playig by making up a name for your game… presto! just wait for people to arrive… or if your really bored of waiting just play with the bot players which have pretty good AI… it took about two games (and a little explanation from players) to understand how to operate your game window but after that it’s easy to play and there’s no time waiting for people to show up at your house on saturday’s…

• Yanny I know this is old but I want to make sure you saw this cause it’s awsome (the website of course)…

• I played parts of 2 games last night.

Fun while it lasted.

Clearly losing due to robberies in the first one.  Lack of bricks hurt too.
    The robber prevented me from getting at least 5 resource cards in that one.

Made it easy for me to give up my spot to the brother-in-law while we went 10 miles away to get the take-out food.

There was one friend who actually knew how to play guiding the rest of us.

One of the newbies robbed my brother in law to win the game as we came back with dinner.

Made up for bad loss in the start of the follow-up game.

I got 2 cities next to brick production.  Also picked up wood and grain early before the robber landed on one of my brick hexes.  Had a major road program going with the brick and wood (from trades).  Also managed to get 2 development cards.  A series of other people rolling on my #'s loaded me up with resource cards before I rolled a 7 and got robbed for having to many cards.  So I did not get to upgrade to a city, but still got some stuff down due to the abundance.

I will find out later tonight if my brother in law pulled out a victory from the better start.

He may have played before.

My first time playing was 3 yrs ago, and I got left in the dust as the other two got all the good rolls and traded with each other, since I had v. little.

I did check out a few strategies, and I only recall that the brick/wood one was popular.  I could see how the other players were getting only the occasional development card while I was getting access to better build sites so I could cover more dice spots and get resources.

• Bummer… he lost.  Carried the road building thing too far.  14 on roads including the 2-road development card.

The next nearest player had only 8 roads.

complained that the other players kept robbing his cards.

• Whats it exactly about?

• '19 Moderator

LOL, I’ve played it and I’m still not sure.  Of course it was on line and I didn’t read the rules so I was pretty much just guessing.

• Founder TripleA Admin

This is a great game. I’ve bought the card deck, which should even out the randomness of the game. But I haven’t had a chance to use the deck yet.

• @Yanny:

What do you guys think of this game? Personally, I love it. It requires a lot of strategy. The game changes every time. Its simple, but at it’s heart can be very complex. I wish there was a way to play it over the net.

I know you posted this a long time ago but im here to tell you……you can play it over the net!  My friend just recently told me that Settlers of Catan is now an xbox live arcade game for the 360 and can support up to 5 players.  The makers of this version are the same people that made Rise of Nations…Big Huge Games.  Its funny cause they recycle some of the sounds from RoN and put them into Settles of Catan.  Like when you get a card, it uses the sound when you find a ruin from RoN.  It cracks me up.  :lol:

Anyways, ive never played Settlers, but im compelled to try it soon someday.

• There shouldn’t be a “brick/wood” strategy.  Since the board changes, the only thing that you can/should do is check out the resource map and probability distribution, see what other cities/roads are on the map, and play/trade appropriately.

I’ve won with wheat/ore (early cities), wheat/ore/sheep (development cards for robber control), brick/wood (roads), resource/port hookups (trade in 2 worthless sheep for 1 of anything) . . . there are lots of ways to win OR lose; you have to keep in mind what’s going on.

• I love the game.

• Anybody play the Star Trek version?

• @Imperious:

Anybody play the Star Trek version?

I have never not, do you recommend it?

• I own the star trek version. Its the same except the roads pieces are Constitution class starships and the robber is a klingon bird of prey. its fun and its the same as the regular game but a bit nerdier

• Introduced my sister to the game. She enjoyed it.

• Sponsor

I love settlers of catan… A few players from my A&A group and I have started to play this game regularly, and we are now at the point where we are playing Cities & Knights as well as Seafarers. Cities and Knights adds so much depth to the basic game, and Seafarers allows for interesting Island hopping. I have come to realize that the initial placement of your first settlement and city in the setup is a huge factor in your success or failure in the game. Of course you can only do what you can to get a good spot and bad luck will prevent you from getting the common hits surrounding you. However, I think your city should be placed on a 3 resource hex spot instead of a 2 hex coast line, and 1 of those hexes has to be a forest. Although it’s possible to come back from a slow start, if your hexes aren’t getting you resources early… you could find yourself coasting toward your inevitable end. Also, I have noticed that the more games you win… the more friends you lose, because you would of had to back stab more than a few players on your way to victory. Anyways… I am now obsessed with both Axis & Allies as well as Settlers of Catan, and I now host one big game day per month for each.

• I have never played the expansions, so I only know the original game, but I think it is a great game too. I wish that there was a more direct way to stop your competitors from winning, though. For example, it would be nice if you could use one of your soldiers to destroy some of their roads or something. Nevertheless, it is still a lot of fun to play.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m