• In my games of P40 I’ve been adding two neutral infantry to the FIC territory to represent the French forces in the area. I’ve been using German troops from the revised version, and they can’t move or attack back, only defend. This hasn’t balanced the game at all (Japan is still able to sweep over the entire region, and doesn’t have to devote many troops to capture the territory) but I like that it makes the game a bit more historically accurate.

Does anyone know if Larry has said anything about French units starting the global game in FIC? Historically the Japanese conquest of FIC wasn’t a complete walkover, so I was thinking that once E40 is released with actual French units, the global game can start with a small French contingent guarding the territory (perhaps 2 infantry, a destroyer, and a transport). Any thoughts?

• Larry has said there will be ANZAC units in egypt, so perhaps france will get some in the pacific. They should as they had alot of forts in north FIC.

• If I recall, the units in FIC were Vichy controlled.  They caved in to Japanese pressure for airbases in FIC along with German pressure to comply.  Adding 2 Infantry is therefore probably a bad call  :-o

Lozza007

• @Lozza007:

If I recall, the units in FIC were Vichy controlled.  They caved in to Japanese pressure for airbases in FIC

Yes, that’s what happened historically (along with some other effects):

• These are good points, do you think there will be any french units in north africa or syria, as they were also vichy controlled?

• TripleA

the game starts before france falls. so there should be french presence in french indo china. it would not make sense for japan to take advantage of a collapsed french government before the government has collapsed.

• @Emperor_Taiki:

These are good points, do you think there will be any french units in north africa or syria, as they were also vichy controlled?

I guess it depends how detailed the game will be. The historical Oct. 1941 Vichy forces in North Africa are in this PDF, and the May 1941 Vichy forces in Syria are here.

@allweneedislove:

the game starts before france falls. so there should be french presence in french indo china.

True.  The May 1940 French Indochina force is shown on the last page of this PDF, and the July 1941 Vichy force is shown here.

• '10

Per Larry Harris

As for the Global game… I’m not sure there is a large enough French presence to warrant French units in FIC

• I agree with Grizzly. French units should begin in FIC. Vichy France hadn’t conceded to Japan at the time of the game (1940) and if Japan had invaded in 1940 the French garrison would have put up some resistance.

Im putting an Infantry there just because I can!

If A&A doesn’t put French infantry in the territory in Global I’ll probably put some in myself

• I was actually thinking of this, except the scenario was actually the after-effects of an Allied liberation of France and Indo-China.

I’ve heard of many strategies where the Japanese place a minor IC in FIC, using it support its incursions into China proper and India. Well, assume this IC is now in Allied, specifically French hands. Not saying this is a viable strategy, just an interesting thought.

• @Admiral:

I was actually thinking of this, except the scenario was actually the after-effects of an Allied liberation of France and Indo-China.

I’ve heard of many strategies where the Japanese place a minor IC in FIC, using it support its incursions into China proper and India. Well, assume this IC is now in Allied, specifically French hands. Not saying this is a viable strategy, just an interesting thought.

I’ve put one in French Indo China, but prefer Kwangtaung.

Anyways don’t you think France would be trying to slow down the Germans and care less about Asia.

• @Dylan:

@Admiral:

I was actually thinking of this, except the scenario was actually the after-effects of an Allied liberation of France and Indo-China.

I’ve put one in French Indo China, but prefer Kwangtaung.

Anyways don’t you think France would be trying to slow down the Germans and care less about Asia.

The scenario is assuming the Germans are more or less, dealt with. Then again, you could say the same for the Japanese on the Asian mainland, if the Allies have been able to successfully establish points there.

The French position in A&A is starting to remind me of Colonial Diplomacy.

• The French position in A&A is starting to remind me of Colonial Diplomacy.

That was the best Diplomacy variant

• @de:

The French position in A&A is starting to remind me of Colonial Diplomacy.

That was the best Diplomacy variant

There were other official ones?

How do you like the world war 1 varient of regular dip for 2 players

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m