Can someone make an A&A style Napoleonic game?

• '12

Dylan, the problem with using ad hominem attacks on people is they often backfire, moreover, they are a redherring at best that often mask an inability to address the actual premises of a discussion.  I lothe to do so but I feel I must school you a bit in grammar and spelling.

_I got B in english, what did you get. _Where is the question mark?

And I said that as a punnishment because I know your in school (unless your one of those gangster kids.)

punnishment   punishment?   
    your  Your denotes a possesive, you meant to use the contraction of “you are” which is you’re not your.  You did this twice in one sentence.

and now I’m no a phyco
    You are not supposed to start a sentence with and but I see this more and more, moreover, where is the Capital letter to start off a sentence?  And now….?  So you’re not a pyyco now, but perhaps before or after you might be a phyco?  By the way, a phyco is preface word meaning algea used in combination to form a compound word like phycochrome.  You really should use dictionary.com to know the meaning of the words you use.  I also noted that you did not end the sentence with a period.

Also stop using internet exploer, Chrome you can right click and it’s like a spell check.

Lamenting about others not using a spell checker then spelling internet explorer as “internet exploer” is rather amusing.  The second sentence should have been started out with the word “With…”

So, what school did you get a B in english from again?

I have a great idea, lets not attack each other in ad hominem fashions.  Let us refrain from attack the spelling and grammar of each other because we all make speeling mistakes.  Rather, let us come together to share ideas and strategies, this should be about friendly learning and competition not about slagging matches.__

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

Dylan, the problem with using ad hominem attacks on people is they often backfire, moreover, they are a redherring at best that often mask an inability to address the actual premises of a discussion.  I lothe to do so but I feel I must school you a bit in grammar and spelling.

_I got B in english, what did you get. _Where is the question mark?

And I said that as a punnishment because I know your in school (unless your one of those gangster kids.)

punnishment   punishment?     
    your  Your denotes a possesive, you meant to use the contraction of “you are” which is you’re not your.  You did this twice in one sentence.

and now I’m no a phyco
    You are not supposed to start a sentence with and but I see this more and more, moreover, where is the Capital letter to start off a sentence?  And now….?  So you’re not a pyyco now, but perhaps before or after you might be a phyco?  By the way, a phyco is preface word meaning algea used in combination to form a compound word like phycochrome.  You really should use dictionary.com to know the meaning of the words you use.  I also noted that you did not end the sentence with a period.

Also stop using internet exploer, Chrome you can right click and it’s like a spell check.

Lamenting about others not using a spell checker then spelling internet explorer as “internet exploer” is rather amusing.  The second sentence should have been started out with the word “With…”

So, what school did you get a B in english from again?

I have a great idea, lets not attack each other in ad hominem fashions.  Let us refrain from attack the spelling and grammar of each other because we all make speeling mistakes.  Rather, let us come together to share ideas and strategies, this should be about friendly learning and competition not about slagging matches.__

Sorry.

• @allboxcars:

@Raeder:

You fiddle with armies on the campaign map, then the armies clash and you jump straight into the action.

What do you think?

Sounds very promising. Please post whatever you come up with!

Will do!

• So, I think I’ve figured it out. Now, this may or may not be in the style of A&A, depending on how you look at it, some things are very much A&A and some things are not…

The games I will be combining for my personal variant of the Napoleonic age are: Napoleon in Europe (map and battle board), Age of Napoleon (almost the whole game, minus map and some parts), Viktory II (units and battle rules).

Now, it basically works like this: the map that will be used is the one from NiE, simply because I like it (it’s beautiful) and it’s big with many territories (reminds me of A&A). I wanted the nice map combined with the nice units from Viktory II. From here on out, it’s more or less Age of Napoleon we’re playing, but with lots of plastic pieces.

Age of Napoleon is a far better game than Nie, so this variant will be very similar to AoN. In most ways it works like AoN, and it’s probably more informative to list the things that are different, than those that are the same. So here goes:

-The Battle rules are the ones from Viktory II, more or less, with some elements from AoN and NiE mixed in. Battles are decided using the Viktory II rules (mostly), which I find tense, fast and fun, played out on the battle board from NiE, with the addition of Corps counters from AoN. More on battles later.

-While there are still a number of Corps moving around the board doing battle, they are now comprised of both the Corps counters from AoN and the plastic pieces from Viktory II. Losses will not be counted by the Corps, but by the Division or Brigade, i.e. whenever there is a loss from battle or attrition, you remove a number of plastic pieces from that Corps.
    A Corps consists of a counter from AoN, for example Napoleon, and eight plastic pieces; four infantry, two cavalry and two artillery. This combination of counter and pieces show both the quality and leadership value of the Corps, and also it’s current status. A Corps that sustained heavy casualties during a battle may be down to, say, two infantry and one artillery. Those casualties can of course be replenished, and the Corps brought back to full strength.

-War at Sea. This feature does not exist in AoN, wich I think is a shame. NiE on the other hand, is made with naval warfare in mind, and the map works very well for this. And since the Frigate units from Viktory II are so beautiful (as are all of the units), and come in the right colours, it was a simple choice to put this in.

-The Ottoman Empire is an active nation in this variant. In AoN they are not. The map from NiE was made to include the Ottomans, and I personally want them in the game. Since there are enough colours in the Viktory II set to include them, I will.

There are probably some other things that are different as well, but it’s mostly small tweaks here and there to make it work. Apart from this, it’s basically AoN. You use cards for diplomacy and other stuff, some cards are used in battle. You raise Corps and move them much like in AoN, and they will suffer attrition in the same way. The diplomatic rules, with Coalition members, Insurgents, Neutrals, French allies and French dominions, are the same.

The nation specific counters and the plastic pieces correspond amazingly well colourwise. French counters in AoN are blue, there are blue pieces in the VII set, and so on. So, red pieces for Britain, black for Prussia, yellow for Spain, white for Austria and green for Russia. The Ottomans have no counters, but will be using the gray pieces. As for the orange pieces, you can put some of them in the Orange Corps ;)

I will explain more on battles soon… but right now I need som coffee.  :-)

• '10

CRAZY!  I did almost the same thing and did a play test with the rules last year.

100_1668.jpg

• @FieldMarshalGames:

CRAZY!  I did almost the same thing and did a play test with the rules last year.

:-)

Man, that looks beautiful. I see you used the AoN map, which is probably not a bad idea either. How did it work out, and what rules did you use?

• '10

The Map was from Age of Napoleon
    The Chips were from Axis & Allies
    The Generals were from Age of Empires
    The units were from Victory II
    And I used the GOLDEN CAVALRY unit from RISK Special Edition as the Napoleon unit.

PM me with your e-mail address and I can send you a PDF copy of the playtest rules

Here is a preview of a few pages…

1806FMG1.JPG

• '10

French Set-up chart from Playtest booklet.

1806FMG2.JPG

• @Raeder:

@FieldMarshalGames:

:-)

Man, that looks beautiful. I see you used the AoN map, which is probably not a bad idea either. **How did it work ou**t, and what rules did you use?

It worked out pretty well.  The rules could use a few tweaks and the map could definatley use some work (too many territories in some areas, not enough in others) but overall it was nice (and easy to catch on to the rules)

• '10

The Battle system works great…  But Ver 2 needs a custom map.

• Viktory II rocks! Great minis!

• If you’re looking for something with more A&A-like mechanics and you’re willing to allow it to be more “ahistorical,” it’s pretty easy to do with either Viktory II or Risk or NIE pieces.  Here’s my basic approach, which I’ve done on an NIE board (with NIE pieces with students in a games club), a Risk board (literally dozens of times with all sorts of groups) and a Castle Risk board (about half a dozen times with different groups):

Attack  Defense  Move  Cost
    Infantry      2              3        1        3
    Cavalry        4              2        2        5
    Artillery      3              5        1        9

• If you play Napoleon In Europe using the basic level rules (provided in the manual) its pretty much an axis and allies like risk game. Theres simple rules for movement, combat and building. Each unit is different from one another.

Of course NIE is extremely difficult to get a hold of these days but Eagle games does sell most of the components on their website: http://www.eaglegames.net/SearchResults.asp

• Holden how is your next map project coming along?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m