Which war is the most exciting to learn about

• The Napoleonic Wars, although I dislike calling it that, as it implies Napoleon was responsible for every conflict that erupted during that time.

• @UN:

The Napoleonic Wars, although I dislike calling it that, as it implies Napoleon was responsible for every conflict that erupted during that time.

So what do you call it.

• @Dylan:

@UN:

The Napoleonic Wars, although I dislike calling it that, as it implies Napoleon was responsible for every conflict that erupted during that time.

So what do you call it.

Just the Napoleonic Era. I usually just call it the “Napoleonic Wars” if I need to be more specific.

• Continue your discussion about the Texan history if necessary

• Any war involving decisive naval battles(no, Jutland isn’t one), especially ones involving the Royal (Canadian, Australian, Indian, etc.) Navy

• @Cromwell_Dude:

Yes, I would agree with you Calvin…good addition…

With naval battles being interesting, or Jutland not being decisive?

• @Dylan:

@Frontovik:

1812 war?
    and which civil war??

You should know about the War of 1812
    The US one.

to me 1812 is the expedition of napoleon into russia…

• @Frontovik:

@Dylan:

@Frontovik:

1812 war?
    and which civil war??

The US one.

Mind you that wasn’t a war in itself. It’d be like calling D-Day the War of 1944, right?

So what do you call the war the North Americans call the War of 1812?

• @allboxcars:

@Frontovik:

@Dylan:

@Frontovik:

1812 war?
    and which civil war??

The US one.

Mind you that wasn’t a war in itself. It’d be like calling D-Day the War of 1944, right?

So what do you call the war the North Americans call the War of 1812?

you guys had a war in 1812?

know bout your spanish wars, is it that?

• Punic Wars. They determined control of the Mediterranean and cemented Rome’s prime position for 600 years to come.

“Carthage must be destroyed!”- Cato the Elder

• @GrizzlyMan:

Punic Wars. They determined control of the Mediterranean and cemented Rome’s prime position for 600 years to come.

Next thing you know people on the street will say “Carthage must be destroyed!”

• Cold war baby! How close we came to actually throwing nukes at each other will always fascinate me. My second choice would have been the “Star Wars” between the Star Trekkers and the Star Wars fans at Comic con that one year. :mrgreen:

• @GrizzlyMan:

And thus the soundbite was invented…

• @GrizzlyMan:

Punic Wars. They determined control of the Mediterranean and cemented Rome’s prime position for 600 years to come.

Before there was Ali vs Frasier, there was Rome vs Carthage.

• Next thing you know people on the street will say “Carthage must be destroyed!”

I sometimes say it to people on the street. It’s in the signature of all of my e-mails (and my AAA.org posts).

Another interesting war is the Greek and Persian wars. Themistocles and Leonidas are really interesting. I don’t know why but all of those ancient Mediterranean wars were really cool.

• WW2, Cold war, War of Terror, Vietnam War, Korean War, and Middle eastern war all lead back to World war 1. Just think about it.

But I like WW2. BIGGEST WAR OF ALL TIME! Thats why A&A exists

As much rich history there is in Both Modern World Wars, I had to vote other. The reason is, I find the Vietnam War the most interesting because a Jungle dwelling 3rd world Nation Beat down and kicked around a modern Super power, using nothing more then AK -47’s, the jungle, and a few modern weapons supplied from out side influences.

One has to ask them selves, how does a nation that has to import all it’s weapons, compete with and win a fight against a country with a arsenal of weapons that includes Nuclear power and Nukes.  I just don’t get it…

I understand the politics and politicians involved are a huge reason why the US lost that war.  It surely was not the fighting will of the men involved or the equipment they used, but more when they(the Soldiers) were allowed and how to use said weapons.

Even by reading and or watching the book/movie we were soldiers, seeing how 375 US troops could fight off 4000 NVA is remarkable, but never the less makes that conflict more interesting then ever

• @Deaths:

I find the Vietnam War the most interesting because a Jungle dwelling 3rd world Nation Beat down and kicked around a modern Super power, using nothing more then AK -47’s, the jungle, and a few modern weapons supplied from out side influences. One has to ask them selves, how does a nation that has to import all it’s weapons, compete with and win a fight against a country with a arsenal of weapons that includes Nuclear power and Nukes.  I just don’t get it…Â

There are actually a few parallels between the Vietnam War and the American Revolutionary War.  In both cases, a major power was fighting a war across thousands of miles of ocean, using a large regular army optimized for action on a conventional battlefield, against a somewhat ragtag group (at least initially) of local inhabitants who were fighting for independence and freedom from foreign colonial domination, and who made up for their material deficiencies in part by using irregular tactics and by exploiting their detailed knowledge of their home terrain.  In a way it’s odd that the Americans, who won the Revolutionary War in the way I’ve described, didn’t seem to catch on to the fact that they were facing a similar situation in reverse during the Vietnam War.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The parallel isn’t the battlefield.

It’s the homefront.

Both wars were lost at home.

ok, then why did we at least get an cease fire out of Korea? That is also thousands miles from home. And it doesnt take 3 months to get there like the revolutionary war under British Sail power.  I think US politicians were pussy’s and did not want to bomb Hanoi into submission like they could have if they would have stuck to their guns(bombs) as they say.  I think the US could have won southern Vietnams independence if we were not always fighting with one hand tied behind their backs.

Maybe even a direct land invasion in the North from the Sea could have won that conflict. go right for Hanoi from the get go, get rid of Ho Chi Mihn and see what happens. Let the Northern peoples see what a Democracy could do for their country.

Iraq is still a mess, but its in better shape without Saddam, Could the same be said for Vietnam?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m